Looking for some VPN reviews

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GeorgiaMutt
Level 2
Level 2

Looking for some VPN reviews

Post by GeorgiaMutt »

Hello all… looking for some VPN reviews here. Been using NordVPN for a couple of months now, and I’ve been having some concerning/frustrating problems with it. Being a traveller, I often have to do online banking over insecure public wifi, so I need a good VPN to encrypt my traffic and protect my identity.

I like what I’ve read about Mullvad VPN and OVPN in Sweden. They both offer nice-looking GUI clients for Linux (which is important to me), and I know OVPN once successfully fought off an attempt to get subscriber info from them in court. (I know Private Internet Access has a GUI client also, and I’ve used them in the past, but I now have some concerns about them.)

So my question is, does anyone here have any experience with either OVPN or Mullvad on Linux? What can you tell me about them?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Looking for some VPN reviews

Post by GELvdH »

I have been using NordVPN for several years and had no problems. What exactly are the problems you are running into?
GeorgiaMutt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeorgiaMutt »

Thanks for the reply, GELvdH.

Well, wo things. The other day, I began getting ads targeted to my physical location, which didn't seem right. I checked the VPN status and found it attempting to reconnect. I always keep the kill switch enabled, so this meant that my VPN connection had been dropped, but the kill switch had allowed me to remain online, so my real IP and location had been exposed for no telling how long. I verified that the kill switch was still enabled. So unless I check my connection status constantly, I'll never know if I'm really protected. So it appears their kill switch doesn't work, or at least not reliably. This is very concerning to me.

Also, my connection occasionally drops, and try as I might, I can't get the client to reconnect to any server, even after rebooting or waiting several hours. The only working solution I've found for this is to uninstall and reinstall the client. That works every time; following the reinstallation, I can connect easily. This suggests to me that the client is somehow becoming corrupted or damaged. But it's very frustrating having to uninstall and reinstall at least a few times a week.

I've contacted Nord's customer support about these issues and am awaiting a reply. I wonder - am I the only Nord user experiencing this?
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

GeorgiaMutt wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:24 am So my question is, does anyone here have any experience with either OVPN or Mullvad on Linux? What can you tell me about them?
Hi,
I'm a Mullvad user and had almost never issues, just once. Enough to check their support was quick and efficient (just an entry to add in a network config file). I also appreciate, as an amateur script writer, that the commands to manage Mullvad with CLI are available and easy to find.

However, I also use the TOR network when I want to be "very" private (means all traffic travels through TOR, not only the TOR Browser, but Firefox, Thunderbird, wget commands... also do) and found kali-anonsurf easy to install on LM (at least the versions in my signature) and quite stable for browser operations (it is not ethical to download large files through the TOR network).
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
GeorgiaMutt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeorgiaMutt »

Okay, Aztaroth, that's encouraging. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Networking”