The Great Project aka Revamping My Ethernet Network (next phase started)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Revamping My Ethernet Network (Completely Solved)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

blueicetwice wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:27 pm
Actually, your wife and I have a lot in common. Nature and my house abhor a vacuum.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Countess, what are your plans for all of those ports, mate :?: :?:
[/quote]

The proper address for a Countess is Lady, as in MiLady. :wink:

The plans are as follows:

Location - Bedroom
Green ---- Desktop computer
Red ------- Printer
Blue ------ Laptop
Orange --- Spare (or second laptop/notebook)

Location - Network shelf in bathroom
Yellow ---- TV Tuner
Gray ------ TV Tuner

Location - Not Currently assigned (both remaining ports are for future expansion)
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Revamping My Ethernet Network (Completed)

Post by MurphCID »

Sounds like things might be going your way...finally.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:55 am Sounds like things might be going your way...finally.
No such luck. I hooked it up just a little while ago and couldn't get the damned thing to work. Lan port LEDs showed those were working but the WAN port remained red (not connected). Wi-Fi was working but i couldn't get my laptop to connect to either band :x . I tried resetting the modem (power down for 15 seconds or so), then, once it was up, fired up the router again. Again, bupkis :x . I tried calling the number ASUS provided for trouble shooting several times but, after a long--really long--pause each time, I got a busy signal. They also suggest I email themn or going to their support web page. Right, that will work really well when the damned thing isn't connecting! Right now, I'm mad enough to chew nails and spit out thumbtacks.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Udate: I went to ASUS' website to try to get some help and found out the phone number that was on the troubleshooting slip that came with the router was bogus. When I phoned the number I found online, I was connected to some guy who sounded like he was India, based on his thick accent. We did not communicate well. It was like he couldn't understand that the WAN port was showing it wasn't connected and, based on the directions he was giving me, he didn't understand that the new router wasn't connected and I was currently using my old router. Either that, or he was just reading from a troubleshooting tree on a computer and, since it didn't list when a router wasn't actually physically connected, ignored the fact the ASUS router wasn't connected. :roll: I finally gave up and hung up.

They had a troubleshooting tree on the ASUS website. Step 1 asked, "Do the cables and the adapters connect to the router correctly?" What do they mean by that? They are all plugged in but the WAN LED is red indicating it isn't connecting. I tried two different cables and still got the same result; bupkis. So my response would be NO. Under NO, the tree said to, "Please connect it correctly." Yeah, big help. :roll:

Moving on to Step 2. It says, "Do the LED indicators work correctly?" Hell if I know. The damned things light up but the one for the WAN port is red. A NO response tells me, "1. Check if the firmware version is the latest." How can I do that if I can't connect to the internet? "2. Reset the router to the default setting." I had already tried that; still bupkis. "3. Set up the router again via QIS" QIS is ASUS' term for plug and play. I never got a chance to set it up because the damned thing wouldn't connect.

I've got the old router hooked back up for now and I'm going to box up the new one for another day or two, then try hooking it up again and calling the correct number. At this point, I'm reasonably sure the WAN port is broken.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ugh that sucks.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

IT LIVES!

I took out the old router again a little while ago.

IMG_0003.JPG

Looks kinda lonely in there. I had left the PSU brick and cables in there after I gave up the first time around and reinstalled the old router. You can kinda sorta see the brick laying on the shelf behind the modem.

This time, since I already had the correct phone number for ASUS, I reinstalled the Alien Face Hugger but I only connected the cable from the modem to the router's WAN port and the laptop's cable to the router's LAN port. When I powered it up, I still was seeing red (pun intended) on the WAN LED.

When I typed in the URL (router.asus.com) per the instructions, I again got bupkis so I called up ASUS again, using the correct phone number. The gentleman who answered this time was far, far more competent than the Previous Guy. He had me type in that URL again and, when it failed, gave me one that was all numbers to try; that one worked. It also was a different number that the one Previous Guy had given me (Previous Guy wasn't the brightest crayon in the box). He walked me through doing the basic set up and starting the first firmware update.

After the update had finished, I connected the rest of the Ethernet cables, tested the four that go to my bedroom, removed the old router's wall wart, then cleaned up the cable management a bit. And here is the Alien Face Hugger in all her gory...er...glory.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG
Right now, my biggest complaint about the Alien Face Hugger is ASUS' lousy, piddle-poor directions. :roll:

The dashboard for making settings on this beast is a beast so I'm going to have to do some reading and fiddling around over the next few days (weeks?). I may or or may not want to tweak them. Many of the advanced features include MESH Wi-Fi and Gaming, neither of which I have any need for so I won't bother with those. There's no rush because it's working fine for me right now, it has the latest firmware, and everything that needs to be password protected is password protected.

I did test the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi (currently, I don't have anything that works on 5GHz) and had no trouble connecting. The vast majority of the time, I'm only going to be using Ethernet.

Getting to the Ethernet cables that are plugged into the back of the beast is going to be a beast but not as bad as it was with the old router. The two rear antennas are in the way but, even without them, to remove any cables inside the two outer ones, I'll have to remove all the cables on one side or the other of it to be able to get my fat, little fingers in there. It's still an improvement over the last router because the new one doesn't have that stupid little shelf-like extension on the rear getting in the way like the old one did. I did cut off the anti-snag covers on the connector latches since they make it a bit harder for me to squeeze them enough to release the connectors from their ports.

The LED that I didn't have clue about what it was actually is the LED for the LAN ports. Sadly, all eight LAN ports are represented by that one little ol' LED. The old router had an LED for each LAN port that was useful on occasion. Oh well.

The LEDs can be switched on and off but they aren't excessively bright and there are only three of them on when I'm only using the Ethernet so I'm just going to leave them on.

The body of the Alien Face Hugger is one inch wider than the old router and is a quarter inch narrower but the posts the antenna are on are longer and mounted differently so the beast takes up an additional three inches in length (width is about the same), something the specs failed to mention. Fortunately, I had the room for it.

Someone in a review somewhere suggested that the front feet should have some spacers slipped under them to raise up the front of the router for better cooling so I cut a short strip of 1/4" oak I had knocking about (I never throw away scraps) in half, then stained them (and my fingers) black with a Sharpie. After the "stain" had dried for a bit, I tried a couple different double stick tapes I had to stick them to the front feet of the router but they wouldn't stick. So, I lost my temper and broke out the E6000. E6000 is an industrial adhesive that is popular with crafters because it's clear and sticks like crazy. I put a generous glob on each piece of wood and stuck them to the front feet. It will take at least 24 hours before I know if the spacers will stay stuck.

I haven't decided if I want to replace the modem or not yet. It still meets current standards. I did have to order a shorter WAN cable since the WAN port is on the opposite side of the Alien Face Hugger than it was on the old router (I can't buy diddly-poo in this one horse, Podunk, piddle-squat megalopolis I live in :roll: ).

So, if nothing else remarkable happens and nothing blows up, this should finally be the end for quite a while (hey, I heard that collective sight of relief!).
Jeannie

Rooo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rooo »

nice thread :)

anyhoo,saw this and thought of you ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgF9EI41sYg
Forum Pest ...

"Easy tips for Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both for beginners and for advanced users" https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donten »

Excerrent! (old Japanese/English joke).

That's the best way to build your system: build it!! That way you know how to fix it when the time comes...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Rooo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:10 pm nice thread :)

Cute but those were ostriches. I'm an emu. :wink:
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

donten wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:15 pm Excerrent! (old Japanese/English joke).

That's the best way to build your system: build it!! That way you know how to fix it when the time comes...
Thanks, guys! Seems like, anymore, if I want something done right, I need to do it myself. The problem is, I'm too old for much of it anymore. :roll:
Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

From what I read, basically "out-of-the-box" it didn't work. Correct?
A warning for those of us who might get involved with such a device.

As for wrong information, phone number, that is careless to put it mildly.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:17 pm From what I read, basically "out-of-the-box" it didn't work. Correct?
A warning for those of us who might get involved with such a device.

As for wrong information, phone number, that is careless to put it mildly.
Curiously enough, I saw at least two BoobTube videos where it did work out of the box. Mayhap it doesn't like Linux? After all, ASUS doesn't list this as being Linux compatible; I bought it only because a couple of people said they were using it with Linux.

I agree that providing phone numbers, then changing them is inexcusable. They need to keep phone numbers active for as long as they are selling the product that listed it. Better yet, don't give a phone number and just provide a web address for support (and make sure they maintain it), where one can get contact information, as well as for downloading the manual. The manual, under troubleshooting, did provide the web address for support.

router.asus.com not working in a browser was weird (it seems to be a DNS issue or mayhap it doesn't like Brave). The videos I watched showed it working. At least, I was able to get an address that did work (although not from Previous Guy) and had the uncharacteristically good sense to bookmark for future access (I also wrote it down).

I found a good video that gave a quickie ( :?: ) overview of the features. https://youtu.be/EKGQ6tVpcic

The router seems to be working quite well now (keep in mind it's been only a few hours since I got it working) and has features (most of which I do not need) out the wazoo so it could be a worthwhile purchase for someone who needed or wanted those features. For me, it was the eight LAN ports (although there are a few security features I'm looking into).
Jeannie

Rooo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rooo »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:43 pm

:lol:

ostriches,well known Emu-lators /gets coat
Forum Pest ...

"Easy tips for Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both for beginners and for advanced users" https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Rooo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:28 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:43 pm

:roll:

Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:04 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:43 pm Cute but those were ostriches. I'm an emu. :wink:
Hmmm, I see, cracked another yolk...
DeathDancer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DeathDancer »

Awesome Job on that network Lady Fitzgerald. I think you suffered way more pain than I would have been willing to on that job, Congrats.
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:07 pm The proper address for a Countess is Lady, as in MiLady. :wink:
True:
Also what most people don’t realize is that there is differences in how someone address’s you and that difference is dependent on the class of the person addressing you.

Commoners will tend to use Mi Lady,
Nobility will use My Lady.
It’s subtle but Important.
Come over to the Darkside (we have Cookies).
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:47 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:04 am
Hmmm, I see, cracked another yolk...
Groan.
Groan.jpeg
Groan.jpeg (3.37 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DeathDancer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:17 am Awesome Job on that network Lady Fitzgerald. I think you suffered way more pain than I would have been willing to on that job, Congrats...
Thanks! At my age and condition, I suffer pain with just about everything I do.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:00 pm ...Someone in a review somewhere suggested that the front feet should have some spacers slipped under them to raise up the front of the router for better cooling so I cut a short strip of 1/4" oak I had knocking about (I never throw away scraps) in half, then stained them (and my fingers) black with a Sharpie. After the "stain" had dried for a bit, I tried a couple different double stick tapes I had to stick them to the front feet of the router but they wouldn't stick. So, I lost my temper and broke out the E6000. E6000 is an industrial adhesive that is popular with crafters because it's clear and sticks like crazy. I put a generous glob on each piece of wood and stuck them to the front feet. It will take at least 24 hours before I know if the spacers will stay stuck...
Update: The spacers didn't stick (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). This time, I cut a couple of 1/2" long pieces of 3/4" dowel scrap, stained them black (along with my fingers again; you would think I would learn), then stuck them with double stick carpet tape to the bottom of the router just aft of the front feet. Unless I move the router around roughly (and why would I do that?), it appears these are going to stay put...finally. This raises the router up an additional 1/4" so it should get plenty of airflow.
Jeannie

majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:20 am Update: The spacers didn't stick (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). This time, I cut a couple of 1/2" long pieces of 3/4" dowel scrap, stained them black (along with my fingers again; you would think I would learn), then stuck them with double stick carpet tape to the bottom of the router just aft of the front feet. Unless I move the router around roughly (and why would I do that?), it appears these are going to stay put...finally. This raises the router up an additional 1/4" so it should get plenty of airflow.
You get a big HOOOAH and a job well done - way to stick with it.

I am curious I get the asus.com whatever didn't work - so was it an IP address that the second guy gave you that worked as opposed to the wrong IP address the first guy gave you. Typically routers default to 192.168.x.x on the LAN.

The other thing is why all the fuss with lifting the front feet? I essentially did the same thing except I just stuck my routers on two strips probably ~8" long, 3/16" high and 1" wide - no glue, no dye -nuttin - works fine last a long time.

Return to “Networking”