The Great Project aka Revamping My Ethernet Network (next phase started)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: The Great Project aka Revamping My Ethernet Network (next phase started)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

While resting my back from being all hunched over earlier, I figured out I shoehorn my little black two step step stool between the linen closet where the network shelf is located and the toilet, providing me with a place to plop down my ample asset, making working inside the shelf a bit easier on the old back. I did an eyeball check to get an idea how long a cable I needed to go from the splitter (which hasn't been installed yet) and the internet modem. I then dug out the longest white coax cable I have, cut it to length, then installed a new connector on the cut end of the cable.

This shot, from top to bottom, shows my coax kit with pretty much everything I need to make up coax cables, the end of the cable I cut off, the tester I used to make sure I didn't screw up, the shortened cable, and the cable slicers I used to cut the cable.

6.jpg

The tester has two parts. One part gets screwed on to one end of the coax and the other end of the coax gets screwed to the tester. When the button on the tester is pressed, a little light will glow green for good, red for an open connection, and orange for a short. Sadly, I can't tell what color is glowing when I press the button (I really wish the ADA—Americans with Disabilities Act—would include color blindness). :cry: However, I've found that, since the default color when no cable is connected to the tester is green, after screwing on the part that goes onto the other end of the coax, if I hold down the little button and keep holding it down while screwing the coax onto the tester, if there is a short or an open, my eyes will see the little light change shades. It's Michael Mouse but it works for me.

The cable slicer distorts coax very little since it slices through the cable instead of pinching it off. The one I have is overkill for coax but it also can cut larger gauge wires than any dikes I have (diagonal cutters) can.

This shot shows, from upper left to right, the cable stripper and the crimper I use to install a connector onto the end of coax cable (the cable slicer is below them).

7.jpg
In a little while, I'm going to disconnect from the internet so I can start mounting the splitter.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Well, I got the splitter mounted to the wall at the back of my network shelf but it was really fun. After tapping it with the butt end of my hammer handle to get the screws to make indentations on the wall so I could locate the pilot holes, I found out I didn't have room for my drill. So, I dug out my battery operated Dremel (I love that thing!), put on the right angle attachment (I love that too!), put on the larger hand tightened drill chuck (yep, that too!) and drilled the two pilot holes. That was easy.

Driving the screw was a whole 'nother story. The only screws I had handy that I could use there had rather crappy slots in the heads and the flat blade screwdriver bit I was using kept slipping like a drunk pig on greased ice. I eventually got the darned thing cinched down. Thank goodness for that step stool I was sitting on!

8.jpg

I installed the coax I just shortened between the splitter and the temporary internet modem and got my connection back so that was one worry eliminated. I then tried another cable I had to see if it was the right length for connecting the splitter to the Cox phone modem. It was 3" too long. Before lopping off 3" and crimping on a new connector, I checked it against the cut off piece of the cable I had shortened earlier. It was only 1/2" longer than what I needed so I lopped 1/2" off that one instead, then started installing a connector.

The first step was to cut off all the insulation on the end, leaving only the wire sticking out, then remove some of the outer jacket and pushing the shield wires back over the remaining outer jacket. This has been done here and the cable end is ready to be inserted into the connector.

9.jpg

Here, the cable end has been inserted into the connector. This shot shows how the wire that was exposed earlier becomes the center pin in the connector.

10.jpg

I was amazed I was able to get that shot. I was holding the cable in one hand and using the camera one handed in the other hand, which was doing a fair amount of shaking.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

This is a side view of the connector with the cable inserted before compressing it with the compression tool. The outer sleeve of the connector gets "squozed" toward the threaded end of the connector, causing the cable inside the connector to get compressed tightly inside the connector.

11.jpg

Next was to put the connector into the compression tool.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Squeezing the handles of the compression tool compresses the connector lengthwise, locking the cable end inside the connector.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

This is the completed cable ready for testing and installation.

14.jpg

To make life a little easier, I connected the cable to the Cox telephone modem.

15.jpg
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

The telephone modem has been installed and all the cables are connected.

16.jpg

The modem doesn't have a switch but its PSU is plugged into the UPS on the right so all I have to do is unplug and replug the PSU to turn the modem off and on.

This is a better view of the added splitter and coax cables. All coax cables associated with internet and phone are white. The coax cables associated with the TV antenna system are black.

18.jpg
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Well, color me shocked! :shock: The Cox phone modem actually automagically connected and I now have phone service in the house (doing happy dance...er...shuffle)! I love it when things just work (pretty much; only one RJ11 socket works but I can easily live with that).

It's a budget plan that allows only 30 minutes intended for emergency use so I'm not going to use in case I do have an emergency (I am old, in less than stellar health, and legally handicapped). I did test it last night by calling a business that was closed and it answered with its answering machine so I now its working. I need to go to a nearby Cox store to set up a new plan that gives me unlimited, full service within the SSA. I also need to get the phone number of the current plan changed to the number used by the Straight Talk. Then, I need to tell Straight Talk to go Straight to Hell!

I got the 30 minute plan only because it creates a bundle with my internet that gives me a discount greater than the cost of the service.

The next project will be to replace my current cordless phone system. Besides being old enough to grow gray hair (then lose it), I'm down to only two working phones. I have my eye on a Panasonic three phone system on Amazon that can be expanded to up to six phones. I also plan on getting two more phones as well: one to add to the system and one for a spare. I should wait until next month to order them since my finances have been getting a workout this month (then again, maybe I won't wait; Ramen doesn't taste all that bad).

Also, after I get full phone service, I need to replace the temporary internet modem with the new Motorola modem I got and send in the Nutgear modem that died for warranty replacement (I'll keep the replacement as a spare).
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Having suggested tools to you, one thing I picked up. Didn't know you could get a compression tool for F type connectors, I shall be looking for one.

Cordless phones - make sure you get models that have a speaker phone, we have three working from one base unit, no speaker phone capability. A PITA when you are calling some business, e.g. utility, doctor, and you are sat there with the awful muzak and 'you are 10th in the queue, your business is important to us...'. Speaker phone, you can just put it down and get on with something else.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:03 pm Having suggested tools to you, one thing I picked up. Didn't know you could get a compression tool for F type connectors, I shall be looking for one.

Cordless phones - make sure you get models that have a speaker phone, we have three working from one base unit, no speaker phone capability. A PITA when you are calling some business, e.g. utility, doctor, and you are sat there with the awful muzak and 'you are 10th in the queue, your business is important to us...'. Speaker phone, you can just put it down and get on with something else.
Thanks for the advice! The Panasonic cordless phones I have now (what's left of them) do have speaker phone capability— and you are correct, it sure can be handy at times, such as when you are also juggling paperwork or looking up something on the computer while talking—and I assumed the new Panasonic system I'm looking at would also have the feature but, to be sure, I just now checked. It does.

This is the crimper I'm using: https://www.amazon.co.uk/VDV212-008-SEN ... 196&sr=8-5

I've been very happy with it.

This is the stripper I'm using: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klein-Tools-VD ... 208&sr=8-1

I'm not as enthusiastic about this tool. While seemingly easy to use, it's tricky because, if you rotate it around the cable too many times, it will cut through the shield wires, ruining the connection. How deep it cuts also depends on the cables used. I tend to undercut a little to make sure I don't cut too far, then peel off the unnecessary parts, using a knife when necessary. At least it marks on the cables where the cuts need to go.

These connectors are the closest ones to the ones I have I could find on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/VDV812-624-Sta ... 190&sr=8-2

They appear to be a weatherproof version of the connectors I have, which are these: https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV8 ... r=8-3&th=1
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks for that, the crimper is expensive, £26 in the UK, but now realising such things exist looking elsewhere on amazon there is one for about £8, more my budget :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:34 am Thanks for that, the crimper is expensive, £26 in the UK, but now realising such things exist looking elsewhere on amazon there is one for about £8, more my budget :D
Yeah, I agree, Klein is pretty costly, a bit overpriced even, but that's because they make Pro levels tools which are popular with Professionals because they are well made and reliable. I've learned the hard way that cheap tools can be more expensive in the long run because they don't work as well and/or break sooner and need replacing whereas higher quality tools can last far longer, often forever, if taken care of (sometimes, even if abused). I've had my crimper for years and never had a problem with it once I crested the very short learning curve. This is not to say that the tool you found will not meet your needs.

As I mentioned, the Klein stripper was a bit of a disappointment but that might be user related since I may not be using it often enough to get proficient with it (those darned pesky learning curves :wink: ). Also, the prices of many things, including tools, have skyrocketed lately plus there is the fact that Klein is American made, which drives up prices (but also tends to result in higher quality) and would have to be exported to the UK, which will increase the price to you.

Check out some YouTube videos to see how to use both crimpers and strippers before buying any. It may help with what you choose.
Jeannie

haploikos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haploikos »

Excellent thread. Thank you very much for posting it.

It is a great example of the case that if you want things set up the way you want them, the best person to do it is you. I hate to think how much it would have cost to pay professionals to do this, and for them time is money, so they will do their best to do a 'good enough' job in the least time possible so they can move on to the next job - more jobs means more income. You have the will to take the time you need to 'do it right'. If you don't work for a living; or can't work for a living, the precious resource you do have is time.

I'm looking long term to do an Ethernet rewire myself, and trying to work out the best way of running some Ethernet cable neatly and safely from one room to another through drywall. I could end up using back-to-back faceplates.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

haploikos wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm Excellent thread...
Thanks!

haploikos wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm ...It is a great example of the case that if you want things set up the way you want them, the best person to do it is you. I hate to think how much it would have cost to pay professionals to do this, and for them time is money, so they will do their best to do a 'good enough' job in the least time possible so they can move on to the next job - more jobs means more income...
You just said a mouthful. Only one of the last four jobs I hired out was done reasonably done (and I paid through the nose for that one; my left nostril is permanently enlarged) and one of the other three never even got done. :roll:

haploikos wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm ...You have the will to take the time you need to 'do it right'. If you don't work for a living; or can't work for a living, the precious resource you do have is time...
I'm retired and disabled so I can't work for a living anymore but I don't know about the time part. At my age, I don't know how much time I have left. :lol: I'm spending most of today in bed recovering from yesterday's work and last nights muscle cramps.

haploikos wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm ...I'm looking long term to do an Ethernet rewire myself, and trying to work out the best way of running some Ethernet cable neatly and safely from one room to another through drywall. I could end up using back-to-back faceplates.
Depending on the space in the wall between the room, you might have better luck offsetting the faceplates rather than putting them back to back; it will give you a bit more room to work with the interconnecting cables between the face plates. Best of luck with your project and let us see what you are doing!
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I went to a local Cox store yesterday and changed my internet and phone service from 250Gbps down to 100Gbps down (sadly, I had to drop from 10Gbps to 5Gbps up) and got full unlimited phone service for the lower 48 added in place of a 30 minute emergency plan. That actually knocked some money off my phone bill instead of adding to it with the plans offered to me on their website. I also asked them to change my cox phone number, which I never use, to the Straight Talk phone number I've been been using for a few years. They supposedly did that but when I tried calling my Straight Talk phone number, I got a message saying the person I called has not set up voice mail. I went back to the store. The person I talked to had to go talk to someone else, then came out with directions on how to fix it. I tried following the directions last night after waddling some more errands and found out my account is still showing my Cox phone number and that voice mail was already set up. I tried turning voice mail off, then back on but no joy. I'm going to have to go back to Cox tomorrow afternoon and camp out there until it gets fixed. :roll:

One of the errands I waddled yesterday was to pick up my snail mail which included a package from Amazon that delivered early. Instead of waiting as I had planned on and dealing with the shipping avalanche that starts later this week, I went ahead and order the new cordless phone system last week (eating Ramen for a while to pay for it isn't so bad). I'm supposed be staying in bed today, recovering from yesterday's endeavors and trying to get the swelling in my feet to go down but I got antsy and just had to play a bit with the new phones, especially since I can't use the old ones until I get Cox straightened out.

These are the boxes they came in.

1.jpg

Here is the base station and its phone set up under my network shelf in the linen closet in my bathroom.

2.jpg

I have its wall wart PSU plugged into the UPS on the right.

The phone on the left of the base station is just an el cheapo landline phone that is a backup phone if the cordless phone system ever goes down. Originally, the backup phone and the cordless phone base station each had their own phone line going to the phone sockets in the back of the Straight Talk phone modem. When I replaced the old phone modem with the Cox Phone modem, only the top socket worked. When I reread the directions again for the third or fourth time, I noticed that they very specifically said to plug a phone cable into the top socket and nothing was said about using the second one so I'm think Cox has it configured for only the top socket. :? I used two cables before since I didn't have a splitter but, when I ordered the new phone system, I also ordered a splitter so, today, I pulled out the cable that was plugged into the socket that wasn't working and used the splitter to hook up both the backup phone and the base station to the working cable.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Latest update on the home phone situation. I'm able to call out but no one can call me yet. I ran into yet another snag. Cox was unable to port my Straight Talk phone to my upgraded Cox account because the old number was unavailable. I finally found a Straight Talk phone number that eventually got me to a live body. Over an hour later, after talking to two live bodies, the problem was my account was deactivated despite them receiving an automatic payment 21/2 weeks ago. They extorted me for another payment to get the account reactivated (*&^%$#@! thieves!). I'm going to the Cox store tomorrow to see if I can get the number ported over and get my home phones accepting incoming calls.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re:

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:58 pm ...I'm going to the Cox store tomorrow to see if I can get the number ported over and get my home phones accepting incoming calls.
I'm still fighting to get my phone number from Strife (Straight) Talk ported over. I've given up on depending on the piddle poorly trained people at the Cox Store. I worked with a phone rep yesterday(I actually got someone based in the SSA :shock: ) but that's temporarily in limbo until I can get more information from Strife Talk. All this grief over a damned phone! :shock: :roll: :roll: :x
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Latest updates. Warning: this mostly a cluster rant!

I've still been fighting with Strife (Straight) talk and, to a lesser degree, Cox trying to get the phone number I was using on Strife Talk ported to my Cox phone account. I never dealt with so many poorly trained, incompetent idiots in my life! The stress has been horrendous, causing my TMJ to flare up several times (the past six months have been the most stressful for me in years for numerous reasons).

After filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, even though Strife Talk's responses have been from idiots that confuse certain orifices with others in their bodies, I suddenly finally started getting some of the information I needed to get some action from Cox that, hopefully, will have the number ported over next Tuesday (time will tell). It took two days of multiple calls with Cox with a lot of "hurry up and wait" to get to this point. One thing that helped was I was able to get my grubby little mitts on a phone number that got me better trained agents who, based on the quality of their English and the lack of difficult to impossible to understand accents, are located here in the SSA.

While that situation is on hold, I tackled getting a 4G dumb-as-rocks flip phone from Verizon to replace my old 3G dumb-as-rocks flip phone since 3G will end at the end of the year. That turned into another nightmare. First, I had problems just getting into my account, then wasted a few more hours hours sorting out some settings and transaction SNAFUs, then attempted to buy the phone. Their misbegotten website wouldn't let me. I tried using their chat so I wouldn't have to deal with accents I have trouble understanding. That did not go well.

The first idiot...er...agent (who, based on the style of English being used, was from South Asia; definitely not the SSA) ghosted me after 30 minutes. A second one chimed in but, after 45 minutes, said he would have to have me call someone else since he couldn't handle that sale :roll: . The third one wasted another 30 minutes before finally saying he would have to give me a phone number to use. I was furious by now but called the number. I was astounded to get someone who sounded like she was from the SSA. After checking on a few things and verifying I was me via an emailed code, she was able to get the process started and eventually sent me an email from the company that handles Verizon's phone sales transactions. I filled in the blanks, hit send, and my Credit Union blocked me, saying I needed to call the number on the back of my card. *&^%$#@! I had to end the call with the Verizon agent, after getting her personal number so I could call back after dealing with my Credit Union.

Normally, when a transaction gets blocked by my Credit Union over a concern it may be fraudulent, it takes no more than 10-15 minutes to get it straightened out. It wouldn't even take that long but they have the idiotic, mistaken notion that everyone has a so called "smart phone" and texts requiring some draconian alternative verification measures that any hacker worthy of the name could have easily defeated with a little research prior to the call. :roll: This time, everyone acted like they also were confusing certain body orifices with others and it took well over an hour to get my card unblocked. :roll: By the end of the call, I was so livid, I told the mental midget I was talking to that the current transaction had timed out and that a new one would need to be initiated and, if they blocked that one, there would be Hell to pay (by that time, I was so lividly furious, I was shouting!), then hung up. I called the Verizon agent back, we jumped through the hoops again, and we eventually got the transaction to go through.

I've never had so much trouble buying anything, not even a home or a new car, than I did trying to buy a flipping flip phone; an overpriced one at that. I had a choice between an $80 one that got lousy reviews and a $240 one that fair reviews (the negative aspects were ones that weren't a concern to me). I opted for the hopefully better reliability of the $240 phone. The prices for flip phones are ridiculous now. My last one, the one that has been serving me faithfully for the past ten years are so, cost me a whopping $12! Yeesh! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The transaction for the phone cleared on my credit union account and, this morning, I received a UPS tracking number. UPS tracking doesn't show it being picked up by the carrier yet but the phone is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Considering the season, I'm not holding my breath. Once I get the phone and get it charged up, I'll have to get registered to my account. Supposedly, it already has my current phone number programmed into it. However, the directions on how to set it up that came with the email that had the tracking number were for a "smart phone" (idiots!) so setting it up may be "challenging".

Now, it's hurry up and wait for things to hopefully happen as promised. I am so sick and tired of dealing with incompetent, poorly trained idiots (who are only a tiny step above vegetables).

Rant over. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled Forums.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

In other news (relax, it's good news, not another rant), since the other issues I've been battling with seem to hopefully be near resolution, I removed the old, out of date Nutgear (aka Netgear) modem I installed when the new Nutgear modem I bought a few months ago went belly up and replaced it with the new Motorola modem I got a few months ago. The directions said all I needed to do to register the modem with Cox was to log onto www.motorola.com. Even though I didn't believe that for a second, I tried it anyway and, sure enough, I got bupkis.

I called the new tech help number I have for Cox and got an SSA based agent with a brain. It took several tries, which is normal, to get the modem to register and connect to the "interwebz" but the whole procedure took only 10-15 minutes (I've seen it take longer). I love it when a plan comes together!

Here is a shot of my network shelf in the linen, etc. closet in my bathroom...

1.jpg

...and a close up of the new modem.

2.jpg

It's even got "purtier" lights. It checked out fine on speedtest.net. I still need to check out the settings.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:05 pm ...The transaction for the phone cleared on my credit union account and, this morning, I received a UPS tracking number. UPS tracking doesn't show it being picked up by the carrier yet but the phone is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Considering the season, I'm not holding my breath...
I called it; it won't be delivered until tomorrow :roll: . What bites my ample asset is the phone reached the city I live in (and where the UPS terminal is located) a little after 10PM last night. UPS has been pretty reliable but this is the Holidaze.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I picked up the new flip phone today. I had a bit of "fun" getting it registered (the directions were a joke) but I eventually got my account switched over from the old account to the new one. During the process, Verizon's AI (which Awful Idiots, not Artificial Intelligence) kept treating the phone like it was a "smart" phone and telling me to do stuff that was already done by Verizon before they shipped the phone. :roll:

I got my phone numbers entered in (the manual wasn't much help there) and made a test call out and a test call in. It's got features out the wazoo but I have the ringer turned off and didn't set up voice mail (so phone spammers/scammers can't flood me with money sucking calls and texts when the phone is turned off) so I can take my time figuring out how to use the new features. The new phone is a beast, sizewise, compared to the old one. It could be a useful weapon if I'm ever mugged. The battery is larger than the one in the old phone so that is a good thing.

Now all I'm waiting for is for Cox to get my old Strife Talk number ported over to my Cox phone account. I hope it goes through on Tuesday next week so I can put the last six months of stressful Baloney Sausage behind me and start the new year out afresh.
Jeannie

Return to “Networking”