The Great Project aka Revamping My Ethernet Network (next phase started)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Revamping My Ethernet Network (Completed)

Post by majpooper »

WOW! that is a serious router
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:53 pm BTW, "goat grope"? :?
:lol:
Oh that is a military term I learned from my Drill Sargent years ago when I was a buck Private (PV1) in basic training . . . . there are a few others that express the same sentiment but are not in line with the LMF rules of expression.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:53 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:27 am I am old, or at least feel that way this week. Since I have been off, I don't want to go back to work...at all. The Spouse Unit retired in February with 43 years of civil service. So on to the real question:

How is you through-put on the new ethernet?
Working slick as snot on greased ice. I'm paying for "up to" 150Gbps down (the up speed is not specified) but I'm getting 170-179Gbps down speed, same as I was getting before the old system starting going alfalfa conductor. No more "massaging" (and cursing) connections to get the internet working.
majpooper wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:19 pm I am seriously impressed with LF's project - if I were to take on something like that it would be a total goat grope - I am really dangerous with tools. I really really lucked out when we moved to the current house - when it was being built I had a contractor run coax and CAT-5 (I guess today it would be CAT-6) to every room in the house when it was being framed up (no dry wall) and all terminate to a shelf in the garage where I have my routers, 8 port switch and cable modem.
Thanks!

I pulled the trigger yesterday on this little jewel (at that price, it must be a jewel) while it was $90 off.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _dual.html

Installing and configuring it is going to be "fun".

Even with the discount, I'll probably be eating mustard sandwiches (without the bread) for a while. It's supposed to come in on Tuesday next week but it's coming Fedup...er...FedEx and they have been as reliable as an AZ weather forecast the past couple of years or so. :roll:

BTW, "goat grope"? :?
That is a frightning looking critter, I am afraid it might crawl off the counter and end up on my face like in Alien..... :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:51 pm ...That is a frightning looking critter, I am afraid it might crawl off the counter and end up on my face like in Alien..... :)
:lol: Don't worry, I'll keep at least six "leashes" (aka Ethernet cables) on it. Beside, New Mexico lies between us and traveling across it would bore the critter to death.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Well, the "critter" was supposed to be delivered today but it's still showing as being in transit after hitting Memphis, TN Sunday evening. FedEx is even more messed up than the USPS, even after DeJoy kneecapped it. Including this one, out of the last nine packages I've had delivered to me by FedEx, only one was on time. One delivery, chocolate in a large box with "PERISHABLE" written all over it in large letters, was delivered FIVE days late. :roll: :x
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:53 pm Well, the "critter" was supposed to be delivered today but it's still showing as being in transit after hitting Memphis, TN Sunday evening. FedEx is even more messed up than the USPS, even after DeJoy kneecapped it. Including this one, out of the last nine packages I've had delivered to me by FedEx, only one was on time. One delivery, chocolate in a large box with "PERISHABLE" written all over it in large letters, was delivered FIVE days late. :roll: :x
Well, that sucks. I was hoping your alien facehugger would be on site and ready to get a charge.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

For two days, FexEx's tracking said, after hitting Memphis on Sunday at 1:22PM, it was in transit at 8:11PM. It was still "in transit" in Memphis at 9:11AM on Tuesday. I learned a while back that "in transit" in this situation means the package was in a container and the container was actually sitting unopened at a terminal. The "curious" thing was, last night, the tracking page showed the package had been delayed but still was showing a projected delivery date of yesterday. :roll:

This morning, their tracking was showing it actually left Memphis at 4:58PM after being "in transit" for two days. This morning, FedEx's tracking shows that the package hit their Phoenix, AZ destination sort facility at 7:06PM last night and is still "in transit". Also, they are not claiming any arrival time now, just saying it's pending. :roll:

FedEx needs to get out of the package delivery business and into the plant additive business, considering how much fertilizer they spout and sling around. It won't do any good to waste time to complain to them since, after waiting an unreasonable amount of time for someone to answer the phone, I'll just wind up attempting to communicate with a poorly trained, off shore phone rep who barely understands English and can do nothing but keep repeating the stock "excuses" most companies use, such as blaming Covid (my experience, if I dig deep enough, I find it out whatever problem I was complaining about wasn't due to Covid), the holiday rush, or some other absurd Baloney Sausage. :x
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:44 am For two days, FexEx's tracking said, after hitting Memphis on Sunday at 1:22PM, it was in transit at 8:11PM. It was still "in transit" in Memphis at 9:11AM on Tuesday. I learned a while back that "in transit" in this situation means the package was in a container and the container was actually sitting unopened at a terminal. The "curious" thing was, last night, the tracking page showed the package had been delayed but still was showing a projected delivery date of yesterday. :roll:

This morning, their tracking was showing it actually left Memphis at 4:58PM after being "in transit" for two days. This morning, FedEx's tracking shows that the package hit their Phoenix, AZ destination sort facility at 7:06PM last night and is still "in transit". Also, they are not claiming any arrival time now, just saying it's pending. :roll:

FedEx needs to get out of the package delivery business and into the plant additive business, considering how much fertilizer they spout and sling around. It won't do any good to waste time to complain to them since, after waiting an unreasonable amount of time for someone to answer the phone, I'll just wind up attempting to communicate with a poorly trained, off shore phone rep who barely understands English and can do nothing but keep repeating the stock "excuses" most companies use, such as blaming Covid (my experience, if I dig deep enough, I find it out whatever problem I was complaining about wasn't due to Covid), the holiday rush, or some other absurd Baloney Sausage. :x
Grrrrrrr. Sorry to hear that.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:26 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:44 am For two days, FexEx's tracking said, after hitting Memphis on Sunday at 1:22PM, it was in transit at 8:11PM. It was still "in transit" in Memphis at 9:11AM on Tuesday. I learned a while back that "in transit" in this situation means the package was in a container and the container was actually sitting unopened at a terminal. The "curious" thing was, last night, the tracking page showed the package had been delayed but still was showing a projected delivery date of yesterday. :roll:

Grrrrrrr. Sorry to hear that.
Thanks. They delivered to my mail service yesterday. I'll pick it up later this morning after I wake up enough (rough night) and before I resume working on my mobile home's skirting (slow process due to being old and decrepit).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I want pictures! of the alien facehugger device.... :) How is it working?
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Revamping My Ethernet Network (Completely Solved)

Post by blueicetwice »

Baroness Fitzgerald, the best thread since I have been a member [2016] :!: Your
creativity and organization is par excellent. Good choice on dat power drill, it will
serve you well into the future. It was a wise decision to purchase a high quality
router/modem, which should perform well for the next two decades. Low quality
routers are not robust and have a much shorter lifespan. [B&H has a fine reputation]

It was brilliant to incorporate a water hose as a wire manager tool. I will have to
save that concept for future use. :idea: I admire volks whom have strong organizational
skills. My wifey MO is if the space is empty, occupy it.

How many hours was this reconstructive project :?: What was the cost :?: Bill Better Back Hack.

Now I just pray that Ubuntu does not issue a system update. :lol:
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

majpooper wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:10 pm
WOW! that is a serious router
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:53 pm BTW, "goat grope"? :?
Oh that is a military term I learned from my Drill Sargent years ago when I was a buck Private (PV1) in basic training
When I served [1966] it was PFC or Private First Class. <------------ perhaps it sounds too BOURGEOISIE.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:37 am I want pictures! of the alien facehugger device.... :) How is it working?
I haven't picked it up yet. The Shingrix shot I got Tuesday kicked my keister from Kentucky to Kansas and back...by way of Kazakhstan. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow.

One or more pictures will be coming later.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

blueicetwice wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm Baroness Fitzgerald...
Actually, it is Countess. Lady Fitzgerald was my stage name when I worked Renaissance Festivals. The name came from a family name and the 16th Century Old Countess of Ireland, Katherine Lady Fitzgerald. I do have some German in me, though.
blueicetwice wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm ...the best thread since I have been a member [2016] :!: Your creativity and organization is par excellent...
Thank you!
blueicetwice wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm ...Good choice on dat power drill, it will serve you well into the future...
Hunh? I have several power drills that have served me well for years, some decades. Mayhap you mean the cut-off tool I bought from Home Depot and showed off in the thread. It is serving me well already, cutting the PVC panels of the mobile home skirting I'm gradually installing.
blueicetwice wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm ...It was a wise decision to purchase a high quality router/modem, which should perform well for the next two decades. Low quality routers are not robust and have a much shorter lifespan...
Low quality anything tends to have a shorter lifespan. The router is really overkill but it was the best way for me to get eight LAN ports.
blueicetwice wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm ...My wifey MO is if the space is empty, occupy it...
Actually, your wife and I have a lot in common. Nature and my house abhor a vacuum.
blueicetwice wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm ...How many hours was this reconstructive project :?: What was the cost :?: ...
I never kept track of the time. I would work until my carcass gave out (at my age, that happens quickly, recover for a day or few, then go back at it again.

Again, I didn't keep track of the cost. I used four 50' patch cables, two 4' patch cables, two 2' patch cables, one 18" patch cable, one 6' patch cable, four 1" PVC conduit sweep ells, two six port Keystone wall plates, four Keystone Ethernet coupler jacks, one low voltage old work outlet "box", and two rolls of electrical tape. All the tools I used on this job and any misc. parts used I already had.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:50 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:37 am I want pictures! of the alien facehugger device.... :) How is it working?
I haven't picked it up yet. The Shingrix shot I got Tuesday kicked my keister from Kentucky to Kansas and back...by way of Kazakhstan. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow.

Ugh, my doctor has been on me to get one of those. Was it bad?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:23 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:50 pm

Ugh, my doctor has been on me to get one of those. Was it bad?
The side effects were similar to the ones I received from the Covid shots, only stronger, but nothing I wasn't already expecting. I had more overall muscle aches the first 24 hours. Late in the afternoon of the day I got the shot (I got it around noon), I suddenly felt tired all over, like I had been working a lot harder than I actually did (actually, I had done very little). That lasted through the middle of the next day. The injection site felt pretty sore but, by the middle of the next day, I felt the soreness only when I touched it (easy solution, don't touch it).

Since I'm no longer a working stiff, the side effects were just an inconvenience and just rested until the side effects wore off. If I was still working for a living, I probably wouldn't have missed any work but I would not been happy at work for a day or two. I suggest that working stiffs get the shot on a Friday afternoon so any side effects will have time to wear off.

Keep in mind not everyone will be affected by the shot in the same way. One person may not be affected at all; another one may feel like they were hit by a speeding bus driven by Sandra Bullock. However, according to the CDC, even the worse side effects shouldn't last more than a few days and will most likely be far, far less severe than getting shingles and last nowhere as long as a case of shingles. The CDC suggests pain meds, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, may reduce the discomfort. I'm not supposed to take NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen, or acetaminophen. Even though I cheat and take Aleve sometimes when I'm really hurting, my side effects from Shingrix weren't all that bad so I just rode it out

The same is true of side effects from Covid shots; the side effects may be unpleasant but are nowhere nearly as dangerous as getting Covid, which can kill or permanently harm you so I'm baffled why people let the side effects keep them from getting the Covid shots.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

You want pictures? OK, here are some pictures of the alien face hugger.

First, it arrived in good condition. Unlike Amazon, B&H packed it into a sturdy box with plenty of air pillows. The box itself was built like Fort Knox with a rabbit warren of compartments to protect everything. There was some paperwork inside, including a quick start guide, but I'll have to download the owner's manual.

This is the outside of the box.

IMG_0018.JPG

Here is the front of the beast.

IMG_0011.JPG

I dropped the door on the left so you could see the front USB 3.0 port. On the right hand side are buttons to turn the LEDs on and off (that was a nice touch) and the Wi-Fi on and off. (That round thing is a pill bottle; it was the first thing I saw in easy reach to prop up the router for photos.)
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:31 pm
You want pictures? OK, here are some pictures of the alien face hugger.

First, it arrived in good condition. Unlike Amazon, B&H packed it into a sturdy box with plenty of air pillows. The box itself was built like Fort Knox with a rabbit warren of compartments to protect everything. There was some paperwork inside, including a quick start guide, but I'll have to download the owner's manual.

This is the outside of the box.

IMG_0018.JPG

Here is the front of the beast.

IMG_0011.JPG

I dropped the door on the left so you could see the front USB 3.0 port. On the right hand side are buttons to turn the LEDs on and off (that was a nice touch) and the Wi-Fi on and off. (That round thing is a pill bottle; it was the first thing I saw in easy reach to prop up the router for photos.)
Looks like an old fashioned Battlestar Galactica Cylon warrior. Does it say; "By your command"?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

The next photo is the backside of it (yes, my router is mooning you all).

IMG_0014.JPG

At the far left is another USB port. It's labeled as being USB 3.0 but the center insulator is black. "Curiouser and curiouser", said Jeannie. Next is the WAN port.

That little round, silver and white doohickey to the right of the WAN port is one of the the antenna jacks. I installed one antenna there to see how much it would be in the way of removing a plug from the adjacent LAN port (sorry, I forgot to take a photo of it). Removing those plugs is going to be a bugger :( . At least, the router doesn't have a shelf like extension hanging over those ports like my old router (I really would like to have a "discussion" with the clown that designed that port obfuscating feature).

The next eight ports are LAN ports, the main reason I bought this beast. To the right of the LAN ports is another antenna jack. The WPS button is next, followed by the recessed reset button.

That silver colored thing-a-ma-bob to the right of the reset button is the DC In port. I was disappointed to find out the Alien Face Hugger uses a small brick instead of a neatly and fully self-contained wall wart. That's going to be a wee bit inconvenient.

The last button on the right is the power button.

This the shot from above.

IMG_0015.JPG

Those are all LEDs. From the left is the power LED, 5GHz LED, 2.4GHz LED, Ethernet LED (another nice touch; my old router doesn't have that one), I have no clue what the next one is (yet), the next two are the USB indicators (yet another nice touch my old router lacks, not that I need it), and last, but not least (yeah , I know, that was corny) is the WPS LED. Overall, it has a nice clean look.

I don't know when I'm actually going to install the wee beast (I keep calling it a beast but it's barely bigger than my old router). I had to go to a couple of grocery stores today to pick up a few items before going to my mail service to pickup the Alien Face Hugger and few other things. I worked the next few hours on installing more ground channel and skirting panels on my mobile home. It's not difficult but it is tedious and is murder on my old carcass. I had to stop when the two foot level I had been using to make sure panels were plumb before spiking them down became too long to use for the remaining panels alongside the patio (once past the patio, I can use the level again for a while). I went online to see if I could get an 18" level locally and the only one I could find within ten miles in this Podunk, one-horse, flea-bag, piddle-squat megalopolis I live in was at a hardware store that had just closed and won't be open again until Monday. Sigh! I spent what was left of the afternoon hauling away the old skirting panels that I had placed out front to see if anyone might want it (someone got almost of of them).

I'll be spending much of tomorrow in bed recovering from today. I'll see if I feel up to tackling installing the Alien Face Hugger or not (I need to do some more reading on setting it up)
Jeannie

DeathDancer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DeathDancer »

Are you sure that’s not some distant relative to Darth Vader?
Come over to the Darkside (we have Cookies).
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

[/quote]Actually, your wife and I have a lot in common. Nature and my house abhor a vacuum.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Countess, what are your plans for all of those ports, mate :?: :?:

Return to “Networking”