Connect To Desktop Over The Internet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Connect To Desktop Over The Internet

Post by rustyp »

I will be working remotely from my RV in the desert, my only access to the internet will be my cell phone, I will be taking videos to upload to my YouTube account, since I have a limited data plan I will mail a SD card home with the videos and have the wife plug it into my home PC then upload the videos from there.

So what would be the best solution for connecting to my home PC over the internet? I use VNC at home to log into other PC's over the local network I have never logged in to a home PC over the internet.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Connect To Desktop Over The Internet

Post by DisturbedDragon »

VNC will work just fine. Since you already have it installed and use it, just forward a port in your router and access @ Your-External-IP:port in a VNC viewer. I suggest using NAT to keep it off the default port for security reasons. Example router configuration would be external port 8686 to real or target port, probably vnc default 5900, targeting you desktop computer internal IP. So something like NAT rule 8686->5900->192.168.1.45
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Connect To Desktop Over The Internet

Post by phd21 »

Hi rustyp,

You can try the superb TeamViewer free for personal use. This works great even over slower connections. This does not require setting up firewall rules or modifying your router.

TeamViewer: The Remote Desktop Software
https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/

TeamViewer Linux Download for Remote Desktop access and collaboration
https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/download/linux/
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Networking”