Ethernet cable switch [SOLVED more or less]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Ethernet cable switch [SOLVED more or less]

Post by chazb »

LM 20.3 Ona Cinnamon
So I bought an Ethernet Cable Switch thinking that this would be a simple way to connect two computers to the internet, one Linux and Windows 10. Nope, not simple. Here is what I bought,,,,,,https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Rot ... 90&sr=8-21
It doesn't do what I thought it would do. So has any body else tried this?

Open to suggestions.

Thinking of using a cable splitter?.?,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Ethernet cable switch

Post by RollyShed »

chazb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:17 am LM 20.3 Ona Cinnamon
So I bought an Ethernet Cable Switch thinking that this would be a simple way to connect two computers to the internet, one Linux and Windows 10.
Why not simply plug both computers into the modem/router?

If the problem is "too far away" then the next solution is a Switch. Not a rotary switch but a box with commonly 8 sockets. Plug the incoming cable into one of the sockets and the two computers in to a couple of other sockets.

Something like a TP-Link TL-SF1008D 8-Port 10/100M Unmanaged Switch which would probably be under $20US ($15 from Amazon).

If you want to throw money around (~$1000) go for a 40 port switch and the whole neighbourhood could connect up. And yes, we've got one at the Shed ready to be connected some time. Here at home I use an 8 port one.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You want a simple ethernet switch like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1 ... C75&sr=1-3
Plug one port into your router, plug your computers into the other ports. A lot of routers have 4 ports on them anyway, just plug the PCs direct into the router. Whatever you get, make sure it is a gigabit switch, few pennies more but 10x the speed. I have 2 x 8 port switches and 4 ports on the router. Most of them are used.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:49 am You want a simple ethernet switch like this:
It has 5 sockets and is $2.00US cheaper than the one I suggested with 8 sockets.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

RollyShed wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:12 am It has 5 sockets and is $2.00US cheaper than the one I suggested with 8 sockets.
I picked it at random :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:30 am
RollyShed wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:12 am It has 5 sockets and is $2.00US cheaper than the one I suggested with 8 sockets.
I picked it at random :D
I picked mine because it was at the local supplier and the also type we use at the Shed and at home. :D :D
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:49 am You want a simple ethernet switch like this:
Plug one port into your router, plug your computers into the other ports. A lot of routers have 4 ports on them anyway, just plug the PCs direct into the router. Whatever you get, make sure it is a gigabit switch, few pennies more but 10x the speed. I have 2 x 8 port switches and 4 ports on the router. Most of them are used.
My problem is with the switch I bought is,,, every time I would switch from one computer to the other I had to reset the modem, every time. And neither computer Win 10 or LM 20.3 would remember the settings. I am trying to avoid the same problem with another switch.
I have a D-link EBR 2310 wired router, but D-link quit supporting it in 2018, old equipment. I guess I just need to break down and spend the bucks to buy another wired router. I don't like wireless routers because they are wireless and are a whole new set of problems. Switches though are cheaper.
On the other hand sense I have just figured out how to get into windows command prompt, I might be able to use the Terminals of both computers to remember the MAC address of my Modem, and thus continue t o use the switch I bought. hmmm having a brain fart.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

sounds cumbersome.. But if you unplug the ethernet cable for 30 seconds, the router should recognise that you've switched the PC and update iP address lease + mac address.

Seriously, get an ethernet switch and be done with it
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

chazb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 pmMy problem is with the switch I bought is,,, every time I would switch from one computer to the other I had to reset the modem, every time. And neither computer Win 10 or LM 20.3 would remember the settings. I am trying to avoid the same problem with another switch.
What we are suggesting is no mechanical switching, the computers are plugged in all the time. Couldn't be simpler and costs a couple of cups (3?) of coffee.

As for multiport modem/routers, down at the local op shop just about free.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

RollyShed wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:00 pm
chazb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 pmMy problem is with the switch I bought is,,, every time I would switch from one computer to the other I had to reset the modem, every time. And neither computer Win 10 or LM 20.3 would remember the settings. I am trying to avoid the same problem with another switch.
What we are suggesting is no mechanical switching, the computers are plugged in all the time. Couldn't be simpler and costs a couple of cups (3?) of coffee.

As for multiport modem/routers, down at the local op shop just about free.
So what you are suggesting is a switch/wired router, sort of?
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

chazb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:30 amSo what you are suggesting is a switch/wired router, sort of?
You didn't explain why you don't simply plug both computers into your modem/router.

What we are suggesting is, if the modem/router isn't accessible (too far away) that you take a cable from the modem/router and plug it into a switch box. Then plug both computers into the switch box too. No mechanical switching needed. The computers simply keep running or switch them off and when on again they will be going OK.
I'm doing that here and at our Shed and it is the way AndyMH runs his system too.

It is so simple we can't figure why you are having trouble getting it going.

If the modem/router is close to the computers why don't you simply plug both into it? Modem/routers with one output socket went out with the Ark. Or are you at sea on the Ark?
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

RollyShed wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:12 am
chazb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:30 amSo what you are suggesting is a switch/wired router, sort of?
You didn't explain why you don't simply plug both computers into your modem/router.

What we are suggesting is, if the modem/router isn't accessible (too far away) that you take a cable from the modem/router and plug it into a switch box. Then plug both computers into the switch box too. No mechanical switching needed. The computers simply keep running or switch them off and when on again they will be going OK.
I'm doing that here and at our Shed and it is the way AndyMH runs his system too.

If the modem/router is close to the computers why don't you simply plug both into it? Modem/routers with one output socket went out with the Ark. Or are you at sea on the Ark?
There is only one place to plug in, in the Modem. The Modem being the connection to my ISP.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

chazb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 pmThere is only one place to plug in, in the Modem. The Modem being the connection to my ISP.
If I'm reading it correctly you are describing a type of box we last had 20 - 30 years ago as since then all modern modem/routers have at least 4 output sockets.. or they certainly do in this country.

As an aside, here the majority of users are on fibre, not wire to start with so a minimum of 4 computer output sockets... plus a few other sockets for phone output and a socket for the cable going to the fibre to wire converter.

Your system -
1.) The phone line / landline with internet data comes into you house. Yes?
2.) It is plugged into a box which has a socket for that input. Yes?
3.) The box will also have an output socket or 4 of them. Yes?

If your box only has one output socket, it is very old, and as said before, it is usual to have 4 yellow output sockets. These output sockets are usually yellow and usually labelled Ethernet.
If your one only has one output socket that you usually plug your computer into, we are saying plug a switch box in and the computers into the switch box's sockets.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

.. and here, "switch box" = ethernet switch , like the ones linked to earlier in the thread by Andy and Rollyshed
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

chazb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 pm
RollyShed wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:12 am

There is only one place to plug in, in the Modem. The Modem being the connection to my ISP.
I think this thread's at a point where the make/model of your network device(s) is an important piece of information, and throwing around generic terms ("modem", "switch") is actually detrimental to the discussion. If the others have similar situations to me, they probably haven't seen a setup that doesn't have an "all in one gateway" provided by the ISP in something like 2-3 decades (or ever, if they're young enough :mrgreen: ), hence the assumptions by everyone that you have a device with some available ports for creating a local network.

Ultimately your A/B switch you linked (as well as anyone else recommending an ethernet switch) did not work because the ISP side will generally bind your account to a single machine. So, what you need is actually a router, such as any of the all-in-one devices manufactured by Netgear, TP-Link, Linksys, or D-LINK (other brands are out there too - these ones just come to mind as "generally available"). You certainly don't have to get the absolute top-of-the-line device, but ideally something that has gigabit ethernet ports -- will probably be in the $40-$60 range or so. An Example

You can certainly look for cheaper, but in my experience those only have 10/100 ports, which can be painfully slow to transfer files between multiple PCs in your home.

Hope this helps :)
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

After 11 replies we start to get to find out what the equipment is that is being used. We start to, i.e. half an answer.... sort of...

My very first reply answered the question, buy a multi-port ethernet switch, one that does not have a rotary switch on it. I gave a suggested make and model and probable price.

What more is needed?
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

chazb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 pm I have a D-link EBR 2310 wired router, but D-link quit supporting it in 2018,
I did not notice the OP listed his router model in the above post.
From this pic, it got 4 lan ports so it should support more than 1 pc

djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 pm After 11 replies we start to get to find out what the equipment is that is being used. We start to, i.e. half an answer.... sort of...

My very first reply answered the question, buy a multi-port ethernet switch, one that does not have a rotary switch on it. I gave a suggested make and model and probable price.

What more is needed?
Assuming the comment about the DLINK 2310 is to be understood as "I have one ... it's not plugged in though" ; the router is a necessary component of the network to perform NAT (i.e. translate the _one_ available public IP address from the ISP into multiple private IP addresses for the local network)

If the network already has a router doing this, then you're spot on.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

djph wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:17 amIf the network already has a router doing this, then you're spot on.
The OP must have a router because he says he can get on the internet but has to do fiddles to change from one computer to the other.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:50 pm
djph wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:17 amIf the network already has a router doing this, then you're spot on.
The OP must have a router because he says he can get on the internet but has to do fiddles to change from one computer to the other.
Nah, there's nothing stopping anyone from just plugging a PC directly into a modem. Heck, I did that for years when I was using some old Debian box for routing...

Return to “Networking”