Ethernet cable switch [SOLVED more or less]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Ethernet cable switch

Post by RollyShed »

djph wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:03 amNah, there's nothing stopping anyone from just plugging a PC directly into a modem. Heck, I did that for years when I was using some old Debian box for routing...
You miss the point totally.
The OP has two computers and has a mechanical switch box instead of an Ethernet switch box.

It appears his router only has one socket, which tends to indicate it is old, very old. The OP does not have a problem getting on the internet, the problem is changing from one computer to the other, easily.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:55 pm
djph wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:03 amNah, there's nothing stopping anyone from just plugging a PC directly into a modem. Heck, I did that for years when I was using some old Debian box for routing...
You miss the point totally.
Yeah taking the quote out of the context of our earlier few points would certainly make it seem that way, wouldn't it. 8)

For the sake of clarity, I am going to write "router*" in this post to refer to a standard many- / all-in-one residential gateway device (colloquially referred to simply as "router" or "wifi router") that can be picked up at nearly any store with an electronics department; comprised of at least one marked "WAN" and several marked "LAN" ports. The device may or may not also include wifi and/or a cable/xDSL modem. It's the best I could come up with off the cuff to try and keep some form of clarity.
RollyShed wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:55 pm It appears his router only has one socket, which tends to indicate it is old, very old. The OP does not have a problem getting on the internet, the problem is changing from one computer to the other, easily.
Thing is, what you keep calling his router is only a modem (emphasis mine).
chazb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 pm There is only one place to plug in, in the Modem. The Modem being the connection to my ISP.
This mentioned problem reinforces that the device is just a modem, and not a router*.
chazb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 pm My problem is with the switch I bought is,,, every time I would switch from one computer to the other I had to reset the modem, every time.
This behavior is completely in-line with an ISP setup that allows one (1) registered MAC address per customer's account. It's pretty normal stuff with cable and xDSL based services.

Now, in a different post, he did mention an older D-Link router* in his possession; however, given the facts available in this thread:
  1. He went out and bought this mechanical switch
  2. He loses connectivity until rebooting the modem when utilizing the mechanical switch
  3. That older D-Link has multiple LAN ports, rendering the purchase of this mechanical switch unnecessary (given there are only two PCs in play)
We can surmise that this D-Link router* is currently not an active part of his network.

Therefore, he needs to put a router* into the mix -- ideally something new (supported), but even that EOL D-Link would "work" for the purpose.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

djph wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:51 am
RollyShed wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:55 pm It appears his router only has one socket, which tends to indicate it is old, very old. The OP does not have a problem getting on the internet, the problem is changing from one computer to the other, easily.
Can you buy modems without a router included? If I've seen them it would be 40+ years ago, 52Kb.

This is why I tend to put "modem/router" as the device "/" to indicate it does two jobs. All that I've seen this past 20 years have 4 outputs so it is actually a "modem/router/switch". The OP doesn't seem to have one of those and that's his problem.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

djph wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:51 am This behavior is completely in-line with an ISP setup that allows one (1) registered MAC address per customer's account. It's pretty normal stuff with cable and xDSL based services.
biggest ISP in my country was very fond of such setups (and PPPoe) - close to 20 years ago. I hated it, lol
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:45 pm
djph wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:51 am
Can you buy modems without a router included? If I've seen them it would be 40+ years ago, 52Kb.
They're rarer these days than they used to be, but they're still manufactured.
For example, the Arris / Motorola SurfBOARD 6190 (I'd link it but they seem to embed tracking crap in the link, and taking it out 404's, sorry ... edit amzn to the rescue).

Has one (1) Coax "F" connector and one (1) gbit ethernet port.

I'm sure you can also find some for xDSL as well (but I didn't look that hard).
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

I grabbed a "chuck-it' Huawei HG659 modem/router/switch from under the bench this morning. Something donated to our Shed as a "Might be useful" item. The power supplies are the most useful bit usually.

It had -
1 - DSL socket
2 - Phone sockets
1 - DNS socket
4 - LAN sockets
1 - WAN socket
2 - USB sockets
1 - Reset switch
1 - WLAN switch
1 - WPS switch
There were another 4 similar vintage units on the shelf and the original owners will have newer units provided by their phone/internet provider.
How many have fibre? Here about 90% do.

Does this mean North America is backward as far as communications suppliers go? Just how horse-and-cart are they?
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:08 pm Does this mean North America is backward as far as communications suppliers go?
Where on earth do you begin to make a logical connection between "plain modems exist for people who want them" and "communication suppliers are backwards"
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

djph wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:52 am
RollyShed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:08 pm Does this mean North America is backward as far as communications suppliers go?
Where on earth do you begin to make a logical connection between "plain modems exist for people who want them" and "communication suppliers are backwards"
Maybe the system is different here. You sign up for a phone/internet connection and the supplier of that service usually supplies the modem/router. You get what you are given.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:05 am Maybe the system is different here. You sign up for a phone/internet connection and the supplier of that service usually supplies the modem/router. You get what you are given.
Same in the UK. Sign up for a broadband deal, ISP provides the router, usually free of charge. As well as the obligatory wifi they usually come with 4 gigabit ports and a usb port. Typically with a separate splitter/filter that sits between the incoming phone line and the router. Outputs from the splitter go to your router and the other for your landline phone.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:05 am
djph wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:52 am
Maybe the system is different here. You sign up for a phone/internet connection and the supplier of that service usually supplies the modem/router. You get what you are given.
If you're 100% not allowed to supply your own kit, then yeah it's completely different over there.

Here, the vast majority will just accept whatever the ISP sends (many nowadays have a "just act as a modem" option as well). However, there's still a group of people who opt to tell the ISP that they'll supply their own modem (and all the rest).

Anyway, I think we've played out our tangent conversation now -- back to helping chazb sort out his network :D
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

After tinkering with this device I have noticed neither computer stores Network Access information, assuming the modem is nothing more than access to the ISP and thus the internet. Is there a way to create an accessible file containing this Network Access information. So that when I switch from one computer to the other, I don't have to reset the modem each tome I switch. Windows 10 calls it Network 2 but doesn't store the information in an accessible file, Linux Mint doesn't have a name but simply responds to the reset condition.
Perhaps there is a way using the Terminal in Linux to create a file or Directory in Linux to store the information, and put it on the Desktop. Perhaps same thing using Command Prompt on windows 10.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

I assume you can set static ip on both pc's , instead of of letting the modem assign IP address using dhcp

First , note down your current adress , then assign manually;
https://linuxhint.com/configure-static- ... ess-linux/

.. but I'd rather plug in and connect thru that D-link thingu, even if its from 2018
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

chazb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:12 pm After tinkering with this device I have noticed neither computer stores Network Access information, assuming the modem is nothing more than access to the ISP and thus the internet. Is there a way to create an accessible file containing this Network Access information. So that when I switch from one computer to the other, I don't have to reset the modem each tome I switch. Windows 10 calls it Network 2 but doesn't store the information in an accessible file, Linux Mint doesn't have a name but simply responds to the reset condition.
Perhaps there is a way using the Terminal in Linux to create a file or Directory in Linux to store the information, and put it on the Desktop. Perhaps same thing using Command Prompt on windows 10.
No. Your ISP is binding the connection to the MAC address of the connected computer.

You _need_ a router in between the modem and your PCs. Even that D-Link you mentioned having around would work ...
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

No. Your ISP is binding the connection to the MAC address of the connected computer.

You _need_ a router in between the modem and your PCs. Even that D-Link you mentioned having around would work ...
This I didn't know that about the ISP. The D-Link isn't supported any more not sense 2018. and ya it would probably work in a pinch, but it is old equipment. So I bought on sale from Lowes a Linksys max-stream dual-band mesh wifi 5 router. And I have been reasonably assured that it will work even if I don't use the wifi aspect.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

An Ethernet cable switch, may have its uses, but what I was using it for was a waste of time. I did buy a wifi Linjsys router on sale from Lowes as it was the last one of that particular model for $25, heck of a break. And set it up today with the help of a Linksys technician by phone based in the Philippines using my Windows 10 laptop. It is a good system and it works great. But it is sad that Linksys can not or would not provide more detail instructions on how to setup this piece of equipment. To be sure I will complain to Linksys, but it will probably fall on deaf ears.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

chazb wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:22 pmI did buy a wifi Linksys router on sale from Lowes
What model?
There seem to be at least 15 different ones.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:01 am
chazb wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:22 pmI did buy a wifi Linksys router on sale from Lowes
What model?
There seem to be at least 15 different ones.
Max-Stream AC1300

Return to “Networking”