[SOLVED] Another guy with no wifi!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Another guy with no wifi!

Post by 80s_Fan »

Hey everyone...

Just got a brand spankin new HP 17 laptop and naturally it came with Win10 which I refuse to use let alone load up. I've already set up 1 laptop a year or so ago with Linux Mint on an HP 15 and it went perfect. This time, not so perfect.

The new laptop has an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U 6 core cpu, with 12gb ram. I just installed Mint (erasing win10 before ever loading it), 20.4 is what I had on flash stick. I go thru setup, and then get into desktop and the network icon says no network. No wifi. No slider switch to even turn ON wifi. It's as if the laptop has no wifi card in it! The laptop has wireless type 802.11ac so I know it has a wireless wifi adapter in it.

I looked into other posts first with similar issues and I tried some of the remedies... didnt work. I had to turn off SECURE BOOT to even get this new laptop to boot from USB to install linux. Which is usual. Never seen thsi happen before, dunno what's going on or if i need to install an update from the latest linux mint intallation via USB to my new laptop. Anyone have ideas?

Also, I have TPM disabled, but enabled or disabled wifi still doesnt work. Secure boot also disabled. Nothing else was messed with in the BIOS.

The mint install I have is cinnamon, by the way. Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Another guy with no wifi!

Post by sleeper12 »

Post the results of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz && rfkill list && iwconfig && mokutil --sb-state 
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

i cant post results, as in copy paste, because the laptop wont connect to internet. i on my older laptop to even be on the forum! but i can manually type out any info u ask for. i ran the command. it says i do have a RealTek wireless network adapter.

The readout also says this at the bottom:

------------------------------------------
0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
lo no wireless extensions.

SecureBoot disabled
-------------------------------------------
Linux Mint Ulyana - Ubuntu 20.04 focal

Maybe if I install the latest Mint it'll correct it? I tried rebooting router/modem. No dice. I rebooted laptop. No dice. I see the icon on the taskbar that looks like 2 arrows, one pointing left, one pointing right. Has an "x" on it. I click it and I see "Network Settings" and also "Network Connections" but no slider switch to turn wireless on or off.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Try a live session of Mint Edge to see if wifi works there:
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=296

It has the 5.13 kernel.
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

It says im using kernel 5.4.0-26
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

Edge? Never heard of it... is it new? I've only ever known cinnamon
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Mint Edge is for newer machines & has the higher 5.13 kernel. That may be what you need, but try a live session first just to test.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

By the way, Edge is Cinnamon also.
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

interesting... well, i just used mint 20 on the new laptop to install mint 20.3 fro usb. still no wifi!

im now running mint 20.3 with kernel 5.4.0-91

but i have a list of others now that i can try it looks like. the live session of 20.3 didnt let me have wifi either. weird... but i can now install kernel 5.13.0-22 or -21. i might try those real quick.

whoops, nevermind! it tried connecting to internet lol. i'll DL the edge one and make a live usb session and see...
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

If you can, yes, install 5.13 & see if that works. Need a connection though, maybe phone tethering?
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ernet.html
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

ok i installed edge edition.. i noticed my screen is way brighter... i guess cuz it installed the right amd grafx driver. it was very dim before. the wireless now works but tries to connect and wont. but i see my network listed at least. dunno what else to do
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

whoa... i went to reboot and its throwin thousands of SQUASHFS errors! non stop... wow. the errors all say "failed to read block" and are just flying by at warp speed. rebooted and.... back to the dim screen and no wifi again... ugh! it says im now using the 5.4 kernel again?!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Well, I wish you didn't install it. Anyway, can you connect with phone tethering? If so, try the 5.14 kernel:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d 
Reboot
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

dunno how to tether bro... but i figured out i was just in a live session, didnt install it lol. im tired.

anyway, im now using fully installed Edge edition. screen is brightly lit. i see my network, still wont connect. i think i'll go for now... sleepy and frustrated as u can imagine. thanks for helping, i'll mess with it tomorrow. i thinking its the kernel.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

If you missed it, here's how to tether:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ernet.html
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan »

so... before bed, i tried turning on the 2.4ghz in my router/modem, and the laptop took it. spotty connection, but it worked. 5ghz still didnt. i wake up this morning and 2.4 works again, then i tried 5ghz and it works.... what?! technology is weird... but i figured it was a kernel doin it.

thanks for helping... but this all leads me to another question - is it safe for me to ever upgrade from the current kernel im on? im on 5.13.0-27 so should i skip other kernels or should i assume they'll work for this new AMD laptop as long as they're 5.13 and higher?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] Another guy with no wifi!

Post by sleeper12 »

If the 5.13 kernel works well for you, stick with it. You can take updates for the 5.13 when they show in Update Manager. If any kernel ever gives you a problem, you can boot into your previous kernel in Grub, Advanced Options, remove the problem kernel in Update Manager & reboot.

Return to “Networking”