Problem after samba update

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
taouk
Level 1
Level 1

Problem after samba update

Post by taouk »

I have a Network of various Windows Stations, a Linux File Server (Ubuntu 14.04.06) and my desktop runs Mint 20.2 Uma Cinamom. There are also some network printers & scanners.

My previous Mint Version (19.3 Cinamon) was able to "see" and connect to each, shared folder in the Network and also the hard disk of a Network Scanner that I use.

After installing the current Version to my desktop Ι was no longer able to connect to the Network Scanner but this was a minor problem, I could still do my job with Windows Virtual Machines.

Yesterday, after updating Samba at my DT, I could no longer connect to my local Network with Nemo.

The message is "Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory"

During update i chose to keep the current version of smb.conf

Is there any advice that you could give me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Problem after samba update

Post by rene »

I'd expect this is simply the SMB1 thing. Please see if viewtopic.php?f=42&t=322404 helps.
taouk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taouk »

I tried protocol NT1 but there is no use.

Server side (Ubuntu 14) smb.conf:
workgroup = MSHOME
server min protocol = NT1
-------------------------
My Deskotp (Mint 20)
workgroup = MSHOME
client min protocol = NT1

OR
workgroup = MSHOME
--------------------------------------
Any other ideas?
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Similar problem here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=371328
In my case, all were linux shares but one. We have only one windows machine on the network.

Bob
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

taouk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:37 am Any other ideas?
No, I sort of by design have very few (helpful, positive) ideas about Samba. Thought I'd spam altair4's tutorial link as a matter of forum-service but I'd say we/you would in case it doesn't immediately help want to try and summon him.
altair4 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:01 pm
Wanbli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wanbli »

I'm having the same issue. After the Samba update, I cannot access ANY shares (windows or otherwise in Mint) I get this error message:
Screenshot from 2022-04-05 15-46-39.png
I have no issues in windows accessing the same shares... :roll:
The shares I need access to are XigmaNAS shares running on a separate server via Ethernet. I also have 4 other PC's on this network running windows and I can't see them in Mint either. I can see my Raspberry Pi4 and Pi1 on the network, but None of the other PC's or the 5 shares on XigmaNAS.
I did add in the NT1 to the samba config file with no effect.

Any Help would be appreciated.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bjmh46 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:39 am Similar problem here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=371328
In my case, all were linux shares but one. We have only one windows machine on the network.

Bob
Please don't hijack someone else's thread. It's against forum rules and impolite.
Last edited by JerryF on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Wanbli wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:08 pm I'm having the same issue. After the Samba update, I cannot access ANY shares (windows or otherwise in Mint) I get this error message:
Screenshot from 2022-04-05 15-46-39.png

I have no issues in windows accessing the same shares... :roll:
The shares I need access to are XigmaNAS shares running on a separate server via Ethernet. I also have 4 other PC's on this network running windows and I can't see them in Mint either. I can see my Raspberry Pi4 and Pi1 on the network, but None of the other PC's or the 5 shares on XigmaNAS.
I did add in the NT1 to the samba config file with no effect.

Any Help would be appreciated.
Please don't hijack someone else's thread. It's against forum rules and impolite.
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

I have the same problem as the OP but only on a mint 20.3 laptop. I have other machines running different distros, one running mint 20.2 which still has network browsing functionality from the network link in nemo. From the mint20.2 machine I can see and browse all my other hosts, (some are windows 10), others are older versions of ubuntu. Specifically, I can also see the 20.3 host, and access it's shares.
Oddly the 20.3 machine with the OP's problem and the 20.2 machine cannot run smbtree:

Code: Select all

smbtree
smbc_opendir: No such file or directory
And I cannot see any samba hosts at all from the 20.3 machine using nemo or smbtree.
smbtree -d5 produces quite different output. The other older Ubuntu hosts are headless fileservers running an older version of samba, and smbtree from either machine sees all the other win 10 and samba hosts and lists their shares as expected.
I'm running wsdd on all my linux machines and the only ones that have (varying) samba problems are the 2 mint machines that had a recent samba update.
I've been fiddling with this problem since yesterday and haven't come close to a solution. I suspect the smbtree error is a pointer to the source of problem, and sooner or later whoever broke samba will notice and fix it.

Fingers crossed...
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

Updating my previous post.
My solution to the problem was to restore a backup from timeshift taken the day before the update to samba was applied on both my mint laptops, Mint 20.2 on a Dell Inspiron, and mint 20.3 edge on a Dell XPS.

Both laptops (and the rest of my machines) are now able to use the network as before. All shares on all hosts are browsable and are able to be connected to, in other words, everything is working the way it was before the broken version of samba was installed. I checked, and smbtree is functional again

In the update manager, I blacklisted all future updates of samba and I'll keep an eye on things to make sure any future updates are not broken.
Only after I'm sure that future updates are not going to break my network will I enable samba updates.

I hope anyone affected by this has timeshift enabled and doing at least daily snapshots. If you haven't set it up I'd urge you to do so.
It took less than 5 minutes to restore each of my affected systems to fully operational.

I hope this is useful to others with the same problem.

Thanks to the author of timeshift.
Wanbli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wanbli »

Unfortunately I don't have Timeshift enabled. :oops: Is there another way to restore the previous Samba version or are the Mint Devs going to fix this blunder? :?
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

I wouldn't know when it's going to be fixed but while googling I did find a reference to others with the same problem. https://arcolinuxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=12417 the fix they used was basically the same by reverting to the previously released version of samba. I don't know how to do this but maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

In the link referred to in my previous post the broken new smbclient (and in my case smbtree as well ) version is 4.16.0. The older one that still works is 4.15.5. Have a good read before trying anything.

I just checked and the version now running on my laptops after restoring with timeshift is: Version 4.13.17-Ubuntu
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

JerryF wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:18 pm
bjmh46 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:39 am Similar problem here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=371328

Bob
JerryF
I don't consider this or the other person you flagged as "hijacking". My post is a simple reference to a thread about the same problem. If you look at the time/date of my post in "other topics", by your logic the op of this thread hijacked my thread, but I'm not complaining.
Regards
Bob
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bjmh46 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:55 am
JerryF
I don't consider this or the other person you flagged as "hijacking". My post is a simple reference to a thread about the same problem. If you look at the time/date of my post in "other topics", by your logic the op of this thread hijacked my thread, but I'm not complaining.
Regards
Bob
Sorry, didn't realize. :oops:
radrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by radrick »

I have Mint 20.3 install with Cinnamon desktop
I am also experiencing SMB problems since this last update.

I have tried all the so-called fixes and they do not work:
Before the update, I had modified the smb.conf file to include:
workgroup = BPLAN (my workgroup)
client max protocol = SMB2
name resolve order = bcast lmhosts host wins

AND everything was working beautifully. I could browse the LAN and access the shares on my NAS, my Windows 10 desktop and my Mac Mini.
Since the update I tried installing an older smbclient package (as suggested on this forum somewhere), but it did not make any difference.

I am now accessing the shares using the IP addresses.
Fortunately, Nemo has the Bookmarking feature so after connecting to the shares, I am able to bookmark them so the next time I can click on the bookmark and it will ask for my password and I am able to access the files in the different shares.

The other configuration change that has been suggested involving WINBIND and the /etc/nsswitch.conf file. I did that too - still broken.

I am really disappointed with this latest update. I am now reluctant to recommend Mint as a replacement for Windows 10. I thought this move would be ideal for people who do not want to get a new machine when MS stops supporting Windows 10 in 2025.
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

don't let a single application package put you off Linux Mint. The mint devs have no control over packages like samba so when you update there is certainly some risk involved.
If you have timeshift configured and making daily backups your problems are easily fixed. In a previous post I described what I did to recover from the problem and since then both my affected laptops are behaving normally with all the functionality of samba back again.
So if you don't have timeshift running, start a new thread asking how to roll back to a previous package version, after all that's all you need to do.
Make a copy of your smb.conf before you revert to a previous version.

BTW, smb.conf should have the following:

client max protocol = SMB3_11
server max protocol = SMB3_11
Have a look at this: https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-downgr ... ate-guide/ for info on how to revert using apt. Before you do, ask around for some specific help. I've never done this so I have no idea if there are any gotchas. In any case you should make a complete backup of your PC before going too much further. If you are going to use timeshift for the system backup you'll have to use another client to backup your home directory, I use KBackup because it's capable of saving to a mounted CIFS share on another PC. There are obviously other choices.

don't do any apt autoremove or whatever to clean up You may remove the already downloaded version of samba you need to restore.
I'd stop doing updates until you get this fixed as well, as long as it doesn't take too long.

One of the things you need to know is the version of the package you need to roll back to. The version now running on my laptops after restoring with timeshift is: Version 4.13.17-Ubuntu which would have to be the previous version.

I hope I haven't gone overboard with too much information, but there are other people here with exactly the same issue as you have so I thought I'd throw in everything that may be of some help to anyone who has the same problem.

Disclaimer: I am not a samba expert, I picked up what I know from fiddling with it to get it working the way I want and Altair4 who has a tutorial or 2 on samba was a significant part of my learning experience

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.

Terry
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

The problem in this thread is undoubtedly down to SMBv1 (or rather the lack of SMBv1). This problem is only going to get worse, as more and more of the SMBv1 protocol is removed from Samba (it is already deprecated). The reason why you cannot 'see' Samba computers in Explorer is the lack of SMBv1, you need SMBv1 for Network Browsing. Windows now uses Network Discovery and requires something like 'wsdd' to be running on the Samba servers to see them. The various Linux GUI tools need to take this in to account, I do not use KDE, but I believe their tool does.
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

RowlandP wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:34 pm The problem in this thread is undoubtedly down to SMBv1 (or rather the lack of SMBv1). This problem is only going to get worse, as more and more of the SMBv1 protocol is removed from Samba (it is already deprecated). The reason why you cannot 'see' Samba computers in Explorer is the lack of SMBv1, you need SMBv1 for Network Browsing. Windows now uses Network Discovery and requires something like 'wsdd' to be running on the Samba servers to see them. The various Linux GUI tools need to take this in to account, I do not use KDE, but I believe their tool does.
Shortly after I posted that, I received an email that confirms that from Samba 4.17.0, you will be able to build Samba with or without SMBv1. I wonder which the distros will pick ?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

"Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory"
OK, I can reproduce this odd error.

I went to a Mint Cinnamon 20 machine and brought up System Monitor and a terminal. I edited smb.conf to add client min protocol = NT1

In the terminal I ran the equivalent of Nemo > Network > Windows Network:

nemo smb:///
This is what I got:
Where-is-smbbrowse.png
There's a gvfs process missing: gvfsd-smb-browse

It should be running as soon as you open nemo and it has to be running if you want to "browse" the network for SMB server in the file manager.

At first I thought gvfs-backends wasn't installed but it was and I reinstalled it anyway - did jack.

It doesn't appear to be a samba issue since the samba client process itself works as it should. You just need to bypass the gvfsd-smb-browse process and ask for the server and it's share explicitly like I've been preaching for years:
samba-is-fine.png
samba-is-fine.png (15.6 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
I have no idea how to fix a gvfs bug.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”