Third party printer-sharing tool: does it exist?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Third party printer-sharing tool: does it exist?

Post by RobertX »

I'm trying to print from my Windows XP VM to my Linux Mint host and just now, I can't access the hosts shares and the printer driver.

This happened a few days ago.

Now, I added the minimum protocol on my Mint configuration to be NT1 and it was printing happily from the Windows XP Virtual Machine to the Mint 20.3 printer. I can surmise that the drivers and the library files are upgraded as the cause.

I know that there are third-party file-sharing tools for these two guys like Warpinator, but what about a third-party print-sharing tool?

It's not the end of the world as I am aware that I can live with an alternative solution, but I would like something like this.

Thank you.

EDIT: And yes, I am using Samba and CUPS right now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
josebarg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Third party printer-sharing tool: does it exist?

Post by josebarg »

As you say you can also not access shares of your Linux machine, it could be due to a recent samba update, samba also manages printer shares.
Have you tried to restore Linux to a date before your problems with Time Shift?
If you have not available TimeShift, assuming your mint version is 20 to 20.3 I did post a manual solution here:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=373895&p=2176245#p2176245
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Third party printer-sharing tool: does it exist?

Post by Reddog1 »

Yes, it is the samba update. W7 is stuck at version smb1 with no possibility of 'upgrading' to the newer protocol. The only choice is to downgrade your linux samba--basically, by forcing smb1.

I ran into this myself, because I have a very functional, and very expensive CAD program that was developed back in the W95 era. To upgrade to the 'modern' version would cost thousands of $$, and it will only run on 32-bit W7, and I must have the ability to print from that program. I'm afraid that this hack isn't going to work much longer, because sooner or later smb1 is going to be completely removed from samba. At that point a printer will have to be connected directly to a dedicated W7 machine (W7 runs in a vm, now).

What worked for me:

editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf

and adding to the [global] section:

# To revert to SMB1 protocol
client min protocol = NT1
server min protocol = NT1

Return to “Networking”