Cant connect to router but can connect to mobile hotspot + USB wifi problems

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ScrimMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Cant connect to router but can connect to mobile hotspot + USB wifi problems

Post by ScrimMinty »

So I am trying to set up this older laptop with (Mint 20.3 (cin 5.2.7 ) currently ) and I am quite new to this. I have set up another laptop with mint and it worked with my router totally fine right away but this one has been having tons of issues. I also am pretty new to all of this so bare with me. Incoming wall of text of everything that happened so far.

First I started using an older version of Mint that I had on a disk (19.3 I think) I connected the PC to my mobile hotspot as the router wasnt working and I figured it must have been a router problem. After some digging on the internet including here I decided to run updates over my phones hotspot and then updated the kernel. I was able to connect to the router after this and everything was great! for about 5 minutes... I went into my routers settings on another computer and looked to make sure that there was no blocking going on. Puzzling I saw the MAC address for the linux computer on the routers table but it had no IP address or device name. This led me to think that there was some problem with DHCP so I entered in a manual IP/default gateway etc and tried again and it didnt work. And now it did not show up in the table anymore.

At this point I decided to fresh install the OS and I figured I may as well just upgrade too. I went through the same motions more or less on the fresh 20.3 install before deciding that I should just give up and buy a WiFi USB stick. I purchased an AC1200 USB AC53 Nano from ASUS and downloaded/installed the rtl8822bu-master drivers from Github. Then rebooted the computer. The computer still cannot connect to the router but now is having other issues. lsusb hangs indefinitely and inxi also will print out until it hits the network section where it will also hang indefinitely. I looked at syslog and it seems like some sort of power management issue is happening but I am not sure.

output of inxi -Fxxxrz before it stalls at the network part:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 wm: muffin 5.2.0 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L55-B v: PSKT4U-07T00G 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Type2 - Board Vendor Name1 model: Type2 - Board Product Name1 
  v: Type2 - Board Version serial: <filter> UEFI: INSYDE v: 2.00 
  date: 12/11/2014 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 35.6 Wh condition: 35.6/44.1 Wh (81%) volts: 17.1/14.8 
  model: Panasonic PA5185U-1BRS type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Full 
  cycles: 11 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-4210U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 1 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 19155 
  Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 829 2: 903 
  3: 887 4: 875 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics vendor: Toshiba 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0a16 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.3 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio vendor: Toshiba driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 chip ID: 8086:0a0c 
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series HD Audio vendor: Toshiba driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:9c20 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-91-generic 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”