Network connection to the docking station no longer works after latest updates

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mscottlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Network connection to the docking station no longer works after latest updates

Post by mscottlinux »

You were so kind and helped me resolve my multi-monitor issue with LinuxMint. I am hoping you might have a hint for a new problem that has developed. All has been working just great with no problems. This morning I ran LinuxMint Updates that were available in update manager. While the monitors are all working just fine--the network connection to the docking station no longer works. I had to manually connect an ethernet cable to the laptop. Not a big deal but I'd like to just use the network port on the docking station--which has always worked up until I ran updates this morning. I've attached a screen shot of the updates that were installed. I suppose reverting back to before the updates is an option but then I'll be stuck and unable to get updates without breaking my network connectivity.

I also included a screen shot of a section in the syslog that I suspect may be related to the issue. Could be wrong but I figure its worth a shot.

Do you have any ideas?

I am quite sure that the one of these updates broke it because there have never been any problems with the network card on the docking station until I installed updates this morning. In fact--the updates were installed using the network card on the docking station. :)
Attachments
syslogdisplaylinkerror.png
Updates-5-19-2022.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mscottlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Network connection to the docking station no longer works after latest updates

Post by mscottlinux »

Very sorry I messed up this original posting by replying to a closed previous post. I just wasn't thinking. Thanks for moving it to a proper location. Much appreciated.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Network connection to the docking station no longer works after latest updates

Post by SMG »

mscottlinux wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 am While the monitors are all working just fine--the network connection to the docking station no longer works.
Do you mean the network connection coming out of the docking station?

Here's the link to the docking station VT7000 Triple Display 4K USB 3.0 / USB-C Docking Station with 100W Power Delivery so others do not have to check the other topic.
mscottlinux wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 am I am quite sure that the one of these updates broke it because there have never been any problems with the network card on the docking station until I installed updates this morning.
You could verify that by reverting to a Timeshift snapshot taken before they were installed to see if everything works again.

Nothing jumps out at me in the updates you did as a possibility, but maybe someone else will see something I missed.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mscottlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mscottlinux »

Thanks! I'm not familiar with the timeshift snapshot you mentioned. I will search and see what I can find.

This morning when I arrived and connected the laptop to the docking station and logged in it appears to be working and I had network connectivity. Then it disconnected and began a disconnect/reconnect cycle. I finally just turned off the USB connection to the docking station NIC and connected the native laptop NIC to the network.

I will see about doing the revert you mentioned on Monday and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mscottlinux wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:25 pm Thanks! I'm not familiar with the timeshift snapshot you mentioned. I will search and see what I can find.
If you did not set up Timeshift, then there will be no snapshot to which you can revert. Timeshift is something you must enable.
mscottlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mscottlinux »

Well would you look at that--new updates including a Linux kernel update rolled out to my laptop and it all started working again. Bug fixed!

Thank you very much for your replies and assistance here in this awesome forum!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mscottlinux wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:56 pm Well would you look at that--new updates including a Linux kernel update rolled out to my laptop and it all started working again. Bug fixed!
If you believe the issue is resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.

Return to “Networking”