Cannot access the internet after failing to use Tor as a proxy and later uninstalling it

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
throwaway69
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot access the internet after failing to use Tor as a proxy and later uninstalling it

Post by throwaway69 »

A while back I tried using Tor and torsocks to route ALL my traffic through the Tor network (it was unsuccessful, I don't remember why). After leaving the OS to rest for about a week, I cannot access the internet from my web browser, games, terminal or anything else. I suspected it was Tor as I saw some errors while starting up mentioning Tor. So I purged Tor and torsocks from the terminal and removed their config files as well as checking my proxy settings (it said disabled). Now I'm not getting anything alarming when I restart my computer and loom through syslog - but the problem persists nonetheless.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have my latest syslog if needed (this is the only log I can provide currently).

Thanks in advance.

Edit: no this is not my internet, it connects fine and shows that I'm connected, however firefox gives me the same error as if I was offline. My other devices and Windows can still connect and I believe even my live USB stick can. The last thing I did before leaving the OS to rest was actually using the internet, and the last thing I did before having this problem was resizing my Linux Mint partition using the live boot (which was just about 2 hours ago, since then my OS has not been working), for the record I still have around 360GB of free space on the partition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cannot acess the internet after failing to use Tor as a proxy

Post by Reddog1 »

Is this only with Firefox and with no other browser? If only in firefox, open Settings>General and scroll down to the bottom, Network Setting and open the Settings box and make sure those boxes are blank.
throwaway69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot acess the internet after failing to use Tor as a proxy

Post by throwaway69 »

Reddog1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:00 pm Is this only with Firefox and with no other browser? If only in firefox, open Settings>General and scroll down to the bottom, Network Setting and open the Settings box and make sure those boxes are blank.
Like I said, it's happening in EVERY program. Even my system time does not correct to what it should be. Also I've uninstalled tor and torsocks.

Return to “Networking”