Wifi driver doesn't work.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PROJECTMANMAGER2022
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi driver doesn't work.

Post by PROJECTMANMAGER2022 »

Dear linux user group.

BIG PROBLEM!!!!!

My current laptop was stolen so i have to revert back to a very old Extensa 5220 Celeron processor. The wifi is not working and i have tried everything. This is extremely urgent a I cant access any of my passwords and I am not sure if they.

Information below

Code: Select all

$ lspci -vvnn | grep -A 9 Network
04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [1468:0422]
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
	Region 0: Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel modules: ssb, wl

Done.
Unpacking bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.271+bdcom-0ubuntu8) over (6.30.223.271+bdcom-0ubuntu8) ...
Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.271+bdcom-0ubuntu8) ...
Loading new bcmwl-6.30.223.271+bdcom DKMS files...
Building for 5.4.0-120-generic
Building for architecture x86_64
Building initial module for 5.4.0-120-generic
Done.

wl.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/5.4.0-120-generic/updates/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.7) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-120-generic
really need urgent help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Wifi driver doesn't work.

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ProjectManMager2022.

Please, share your complete Linux Mint System Information with us. How this can be done can be found here: How to post your Linux Mint System Information (inxi report).
Being able to inspect the concise, but complete technical overview of your LM system will help give better advice.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Try:

sudo apt purge bcmwl-kernel-source && sudo apt install --reinstall firmware-b43-installer 

Reboot
PROJECTMANMAGER2022
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the responses. The problem I have right now is thatI am not at home and I don't have access to ethernet point. I will have next Thursday and Friday.

I looked at all these links and tried them before I posted and I just cant get it to work. There was a known problem with the driver but a hacker in Stuttgart fixed it. The problem was my apt was broken into and they stole the disk and thereafter install Linuxon a different disk again the driver does not work.

links below
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/225098

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=85683&start=0

viewtopic.php?t=182285

viewtopic.php?t=237575

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSaFGfQo0ns

non of these worked
PROJECTMANMAGER2022
Level 1
Level 1

To sleeper12 thanks for your reply it looks similar to what i tried but not exactly so next thursday when i am coworking i will try it. I will be using a cowrking spot for 2 days to try and fix this as i am not in my own country.
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Writing in all uppercase letters will be understood by many users as screaming at the top of your voice. No need to do so. Changed all uppercase to sentence case as strongly recommended by the forum rules as well.
PROJECTMANMAGER2022
Level 1
Level 1

With regards to Karls comment i have a point

Posting my entire Linux System causes security issues, no
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Writing in all uppercase letters will be understood by many users as screaming at the top of your voice. No need to do so. Changed all uppercase to sentence case as strongly recommended by the forum rules as well.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Projectmanmanager2022.
PROJECTMANMAGER2022 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:16 pmPosting my entire Linux System causes security issues, no
In the end it is your decision to share your Linux Mint System Information with us or not to do so.

Nonetheless, let me ask you whether you have executed the System Information and inspected carefully and in detail, which technical details about your Linux Mint machine and system it reveals and which details it does not reveal.
(Linux Mint Application Menu => System Reports => System Information)
All serial numbers and all MAC addresses have been replaced by the label <filter>.
As a consequence I cannot imagine how sharing such a System Information with us could possibly cause security issues.

You reported a technical problem, your wifi driver does not work. In order to analyze any technical problem, identify the root cause and advise on how to solve, we, the forum users, will need to learn as many technical details about your system as we can. System Information gives us a good overview and a good starting point for helping you troubleshoot.
Withholding your system information will make analyzing and resolving the reported problem much harder, if not impossible.

Let me repeat, the Linux Mint System Information does not hold any serial number, nor any MAC address, not even your computer name.
In order to give you and everybody else a chance of verifying so, please, find the link to my System Information, uploaded using the [Upload] button in the System Information application. https://termbin.com/iwdc

As stated before, in the end it is your decision to share your System Information or not to do so.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

PROJECTMANMAGER2022 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:15 pm To sleeper12 thanks for your reply it looks similar to what i tried but not exactly so next thursday when i am coworking i will try it. I will be using a cowrking spot for 2 days to try and fix this as i am not in my own country.
Curious, was this ever solved?

Return to “Networking”