update download slow

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cenuel
Level 1
Level 1

update download slow

Post by Cenuel »

Hi
I got my mother a computer with linux mint preinstalled and pulled up the update manager to download updates. The updates are downloading extremely slowly, in terms of 2 or 3 digit numbers of kilobytes downloading per second. On my own computer it's probably at least mb per second. Anyone who knows stuff about stuff have any ideas why this may be the case or how to look into it? Browser speed seems fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: update download slow

Post by ThaCrip »

It happens occasionally. so you can just wait until there is less traffic or try another download server is the general idea.

p.s. extremely slowly to me would be 2-digit numbers as my max speed of my internet is on the lower half of the three digits in general.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
Cenuel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cenuel »

Fiddled around some more and I concluded that at least part of the problem is the kernel update - I tried downloading individual updates and it is the primary one downloading slowly. Will slog through it, then.
Cenuel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cenuel »

I believe I have solved this... will add the 'solved' to the title after my mother plays around with the computer a bit more and confirms that it has stayed solved.
But I saw a suggestion somewhere to go to /etc/NetworkManager and open NetworkManager.conf with a text editor and change the setting from 3 to 2. This appears to work so far.

Return to “Networking”