Connected to VPN -> Can't reach hostname (Remmina and Ping)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeraldho
Level 1
Level 1

Connected to VPN -> Can't reach hostname (Remmina and Ping)

Post by Jeraldho »

Hello people, first of all I've been using Mint since a year without any trouble as my workstation to connect via VPN to my Windows Desktop at my workplace using Remmina without any issue until few weeks ago and I am not sure if it was an update or what happened but the situation is as follows:

1) I can connect to my job's VPN (Using L2TP with Preshared Key), not problem, working still today
2) I can not connect using Remmina to Server, neither by the hostname or IP, it used to work only by Local IP so it was OK

Now... I thought at first it was a Remmina issue but then I noticed I can't reach the machine using ping, so I am not sure if there is a validation/security issue between Mint and the VPN Server

I tried on Windows and it worked and I tried it on Manjaro today since I was testing and it worked as well!! So I thought "Damn, is this a Mint issue? What is going on? Why did it stopped working when I didn't modify the connection/credentials and it is working without issue on Manjaro?"

I have no clue on what to check, since as I said first I thought it was a Remmina issue and uninstalled and removed files, etc, re-installed, always the same, but now as I see I can't even reach the machine using Ping to the LAN Network I am wondering what could it be, but on the same machine, same internet connection it works on Manjaro...

Is there anything I can try/test/check? Here is the info of my system:

mint@Mint-PC
------------
Kernel: 5.4.0-26-generic
Uptime: 17 mins
Packages: 2100 (dpkg), 15 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.0.17
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: Cinnamon
WM: Mutter (Muffin)
WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark (Mint-Y)
Theme: Mint-Y [GTK2/3]
Icons: Mint-Y [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: AMD FX-6300 (6) @ 3.500GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Memory: 2063MiB / 7943MiB

Thanks to whoever answers with at least a lead on what to check about this problem, the OS is quite clean because I used it mainly to connect via Remmina using the VPN for over a year and not really much, Firefox for web browsing and two or three standard programs, nothing really crazy or modifications over the system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”