Networking Issues on Linux Mint Hyper-V VM

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Grim_Fandango
Level 1
Level 1

Networking Issues on Linux Mint Hyper-V VM

Post by Grim_Fandango »

Hi guys,

I've gotten a little sick of rebuilding this VM and the pain that's involved, so having a stab at trying to fix it this time, thus far to little avail.

I have two Linux Mint VM's which have proved extraordinarily unstable, particularly in terms of networking, and I've had to rebuild them once before already due to exhausting all avenues I could figure. In this case, networking was working perfectly fine - haven't used it in a while and fired it up to find (surprise surprise) the networking is broken again.

Stupidly, I cleared the latest working Hyper-V checkpoint not realizing it was broken, and have tried restoring the oldest snapshot in Mint (1 month old) and no dice.

This VM in question acts as network controller for my UniFi kit with it's NIC being an external network switch in Hyper-V sharing off my host PC's wireless adapter. Most curiously, my other VM is using the same switch and has full inbound/outbound connectivity working fine, so it's not the virtual network adapter. To bolster this, I've tried removing and re-adding the virtual network adapter in the virtual switch manager of Hyper-V to no avail.

When I try do a ping to 8.8.8.8 it gets stuck, not even producing failed pings

This is an x64 version of Mint using the Xfce GUI. inxi -Fxxxrz output attached (sorry for the image; have not got clipboard integration working and it's a royal ballache even getting text to my host with no network connectivity)

Ufw is not enabled.

Thanks in advance; fairly proficient on the Windows side, but my Linux expertise is very rudimentary, so would appreciate any pointers!

***EDIT*** Additional, and probably fairly important point... Despite its networking issues, I am able to access the UniFi network appliance via web browser from machines on my physical network... Accordingly, it appears the machine IS on the network, just outbound traffic that's throwing major hiccups.

I also managed to restore my Hyper-V VM (including checkpoints) from backup, but even restoring back to the checkpoint in May, the issue is still present, so I officially have 0 recourse but to fix or rebuild. Joys.

Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Grim_Fandango
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Networking Issues on Linux Mint Hyper-V VM

Post by Grim_Fandango »

Gave up and reinstalled Mint in the end.

For what's supposedly one of the most "stable" distros, I'm really not impressed.

That's twice now I've had inexplicable networking related issues that have been impossible to resolve besides a rebuild. (first time when the machine froze turning off ufw and after giving it 20 minutes, had to force reboot it, which totally screwed networking with no hope of fixing)

Not to mention without internet I couldn't update the kernel through any intuitive means, and attempts to update it via tarball completely defeated me. Attempts to update via .deb file were also a ****-show. Kernel can't be updated because it requires Libssl. Libssl can't be installed because it requires Libc. Can't install Libc because it breaks "fakeroot", whatever that is. One rabbit hole after the next.

Precisely why I'll likely always remain firmly in the Windows camp; Linux seems to be more time spent fixing the OS than actually using it and you're totally on your own when that happens.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Networking Issues on Linux Mint Hyper-V VM

Post by SMG »

Grim_Fandango wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:18 pmPrecisely why I'll likely always remain firmly in the Windows camp; Linux seems to be more time spent fixing the OS than actually using it and you're totally on your own when that happens.
Welcome to the forum, Grim_Fandango.

Considering you are running in a VM, it is sometimes better to post the question in the Virtual Machines forum. Assuming everything will be the same as if running on bare metal is not always a good assumption. There is an extra layer of software between the hardware and the OS when running in a VM and that sometimes factors into problems. In those types of situations, sometimes only those who are running a similar set-up can help.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Networking”