MBP - Mid 2010 - Wifi MIA. First time Attempted

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RMLeLoupJR
Level 1
Level 1

MBP - Mid 2010 - Wifi MIA. First time Attempted

Post by RMLeLoupJR »

Howdy,

Sound works, hdd's work (ssd + raid 0 m.2 ssd combo drive). 16gb ram upgrade, and a nice cleaned up system.

But, wifi is a no go, missing or appears that way.

Happy to try any recommended steps/investigative info to find the right info.

It's a clean fresh install, formatted etc. And i'm fully interested to get this working right the first time.

Thanks for the read.

Macbook Pro, Mid2010.

What's the best recommended steps to get the hardware specs here? I have tried searching but feel i'm missing something obvious.

- RMLeLoupJR
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: MBP - Mid 2010 - Wifi MIA. First time Attempted

Post by deck_luck »

The 2010 MBP has a Broadcom WIFI adapter. You can list your network adapters with the following
sudo lshw -short -C network command.

Which Linux Mint version (lsb_release -sd) are you running? Depending on your Linux Mint version it may contain the "Driver Manager" utility to update your machine with the appropriate drivers.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
RMLeLoupJR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RMLeLoupJR »

deck_luck wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:20 am The 2010 MBP has a Broadcom WIFI adapter. You can list your network adapters with the following

Which Linux Mint version (lsb_release -sd) are you running? Depending on your Linux Mint version it may contain the "Driver Manager" utility to update your machine with the appropriate drivers.
Thank you kindly for the reply.

I'll respond in the morning (AB/Canada timezone). And will gladly supply this info.

I did try some checks, and found it was broadcom but couldn't figure out the "right" driver for it or right process to push it or whichever term.

Will gladly follow your guidance etc. Thank you kindly.

- RMLeLoupJR
RMLeLoupJR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RMLeLoupJR »

deck_luck wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:20 am The 2010 MBP has a Broadcom WIFI adapter. You can list your network adapters with the following

sudo lshw -short -C network
H/W path Device Class Description
=============================================================
/0/100/15/0 wlan0 network BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless
/0/100/16/0 enp3s0 network NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Eth
Linux Mint 21

Is this what you were literally seeking?

Those 2 commands = results.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

Did you try running the "Driver Manager" utility?
Click the LM menu icon and enter driver in the search box then select the Driver Manager.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
RMLeLoupJR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RMLeLoupJR »

deck_luck wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 pm Did you try running the "Driver Manager" utility?
Click the LM menu icon and enter driver in the search box then select the Driver Manager.
I need an official facepalm.

It found it, stated it was disabled, or off. I enabled/On, and now after a full reboot. It works dandy.

Thank you kindly, I haven't tried Mint in 10 years. Been a Ubuntu studio user off and on. Exploring all options.

Consider this resolved, thank you.

Return to “Networking”