Mint 20 can't connect to Windows 10 Shares but displays computers

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MDSurveyor
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20 can't connect to Windows 10 Shares but displays computers

Post by MDSurveyor »

Hey all, this is more of a discovery I wanted to share. After spend about 8 hours reading forums and web sites, I was able to get my new install of Mint Cinnamon 20 to see the other workgroup Windows 10 computers, however I could not connect.

Once I realized that I had only checked 1 computer, I checked another one that is being used as a server and magically everything appeard. I could browse Windows 10 shares on that computer, open files, read, write, etc., but not on the first computer. After reading so notes about Windows 10 changing some networking things and making this personal discovery between the 2 computers, I realized that my server is configured as a Local account, and the computer I can't reach is configured with a Microsoft account. So, in Windows 10 by using control panel and Uesrs and Groups, I changed the user to a Local account and the access to the Windows 10 PC from Mint magically worked.

I hope this helps someone.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portisheadradio
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 20 can't connect to Windows 10 Shares but displays computers

Post by Portisheadradio »

I have a Aspire 1 D255 with LM 20.3 and can see a USB drive on the router but cant see either of my windows PCs or a Western Digital Media Player on the network.
Never had the problem on LM19 and if I Boot the D255 from a USB with LM19 on it I can see all the stuff on the Windows network. I don't understand what Samba is and went through some stuff on this forum a year or so ago and thought I got it working but after a bunch of updates nothing works again.
Very frustrating.
Not bothered about being able to transfer files to the windows PCs but would like very much to access the WD media player again.
Any ideas where to look?
Attachments
Cantmount windows network.png
WINDOWS NETWORK.png

Return to “Networking”