WiFi icon at bottom of screen, what is it measuring?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

WiFi icon at bottom of screen, what is it measuring?

Post by timmn1 »

When you click on the WiFi icon at the bottom of the screen, near the date, you get a list of all the WiFi networks around you, and a percentage, exactly what is that percentage measuring?
What I've found is that the percentage number goes down when I connect to my network, sometimes between 30 and 40%. The percentage was so low on the computer downstairs that I went out and got a range extender, it connects just fine, but when I click on the icon, it reads 0% when I'm connected.
The router I'm connecting to is a tp-link Archer AX1500 in access point mode, and the WiFi network card in both computers is a Fenvi FY-2030T which is using an Intel Wireless-AC 9260 chipset. The range extender, which I'm probably going to take out because it doesn't seem to do much, is a tp-link RE603X.
The Router is upstairs, and the computer upstairs is about 10 feet away from it, the computer downstairs is located almost directly below the router.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: WiFi icon at bottom of screen, what is it measuring?

Post by vimes666 »

Most routers shout their name as loud as they can, but as soon as there is a connection it will lower the power towards that connection to a reasonable level to avoid cross interference. Did you have a bad or slow connection?
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.

Return to “Networking”