Complete breakdown of all Windows network access methods

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nanohead
Level 1
Level 1

Complete breakdown of all Windows network access methods

Post by nanohead »

Long time Linux user here. Definitely not an expert, but know my way around, and have had a Linux desktop amongst my Windows desktops for probably 20 years or so, have used Samba for years and years, and not afraid of it. Currently using a stable 20.3 Cinnamon system, which used to work fine on my home network, and my windows machines could see its shares and it could see my Windows shares. No longer..... My Mint machine can though see a QNAP file server, and read and write to it, but absolutely nothing to the windows machines.

As of the past few updates, literally nothing works anymore at all. Back to moving data between machines that are literally next to each other with a USB stick. I've disabled SMB1 a while ago, but was still able to mount windows volumes and see shares in the Windows Network page from Nautilus. Now, nada.

Even RDP Remote Desktop Connection no longer works. RDP from Windows yields a blank screen. I've not changed anything except normal updates, so no idea where even to start. I'm used to things getting pretty badly destroyed during updates, but this is the worst I can remember.

I'm aware of the GVFS bug that used to break things, not sure if its been addressed or something similar

I've read through and tried dozens of things, everything Altair4 has written on this forum, as well as lots of other things.

Kind of at a loss. Don't even know where to start diagnosing.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Complete breakdown of all Windows network access methods

Post by lsemmens »

Do a search on windows networking in this forum, there are more than a few results. GIven that you claim to know what you are doing, You do need to read THIS, notably point 5 Help us to help you.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Complete breakdown of all Windows network access methods

Post by SMG »

nanohead wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:08 pm Long time Linux user here. Definitely not an expert, but know my way around, and have had a Linux desktop amongst my Windows desktops for probably 20 years or so, have used Samba for years and years, and not afraid of it. Currently using a stable 20.3 Cinnamon system, which used to work fine on my home network, and my windows machines could see its shares and it could see my Windows shares. No longer..... My Mint machine can though see a QNAP file server, and read and write to it, but absolutely nothing to the windows machines.
I just noticed a samba update came through today on my LM20.3 install.
samba (2:4.13.17~dfsg-0ubuntu1.20.04.2) focal; urgency=medium

* d/p/win-22H2-fix.patch: fix interoperability with Windows 22H2
clients (LP: #1993934)

-- Andreas Hasenack <andreas@canonical.com> Tue, 08 Nov 2022 11:35:28 -0300
Maybe that will help?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Networking”