FTP/TLS connection with caja fails recently

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kladm
Level 1
Level 1

FTP/TLS connection with caja fails recently

Post by kladm »

Linux Mint 19.3
Mate desktop
Caja 1.22.2
ftp 0.17.34 (ftp-ssl 0.17.34+0.2-4)

I have been using an FTP connection to data on the server of an internet provider for a forum I do admin work for. The connection was estabished by using Caja -> File -> Connect to server, then enter server name, port, type etc., finally Add bookmark. This has been working fine, the remote ftp file system was attached to the caja bookmark section and could be accessed like a local directory.

Since Nov, 1 I get an error message on caja (1) as well as when trying to access the server manually from bash by using the ftp command (2).

(1) Error: transaction failed. Use another program and try again (Mate installed in german, so this is a translation and not the original message)

(2) 550 SSL/TLS required on the control channel
Login failed.

An inquiry with the provider resulted in the information that on Nov, 1 the server OS (Debian Bullseye) was updated, and now FTP access requires TLS version 1.2 or higher on the client side. It looks as if Mint 19.3 does not support this version. I tried the same on Mint 21 (on another virual workstation) with the same result.

Installation of package ftp-ssl resulted in success for the manual ftp command (though passive mode ftp -p ist necessary); success message on the shell is now
234 AUTH TLS successful.

Alas no other behaviour with Caja! Filezilla works, but the direct integration into the file manager would be greatly appreciated and make the incurring work much easier.

Any idea for a solution?

Kind regards
Bernd
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Last bumped by kladm on Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:04 am.

Return to “Networking”