After installing updates can no longer connect to my computer running mint 21

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jon_von_crouton
Level 1
Level 1

After installing updates can no longer connect to my computer running mint 21

Post by jon_von_crouton »

tldr; Linux Mint 21 unreachable after installing updates.

tsnmi (too short, need more info);

This has happened more than once and it seems to fix itself after a number of days (or I fix it without know how after a number of days of trying).

After I install updates I can no longer connect to my computer over wlan running mint 21. SSH, nomachine as well as the web server I'm running off it. I can't even ping the thing. They are on the same network and the failed pings and connections happen with any device trying to connect to it.

On the laptop running mint it starts up fine and gets the same ip address from my router. It can reach the internet fine, and serves the pages from itself to its browser, and pings the world.

And for a final twist, the mint machine communicates with a bot running on Telegram to convey status of the web server. It always works, in both directions! I can send requests from Telegram and they get answered by the mint machine. This tells me some incoming communication is happening somewhere.

I may be having the same issue as reported in this postviewtopic.php?t=319599. If so, I don't know how to change the local address for some programs from loopback to 0.0.0.0. My netstat looks like this:
https://imgur.com/a/RUTMGz4
(Sorry, the img tag isn't working for me(
Any program starting with nx is used by nomachine.

I'm starting to look into configuring systemd-resolve but can anyone can tell me if I'm on the right path or I should be looking elsewhere?

I've used linux off and on for thirty years and there's always something like this I can only fix with help from the community so thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”