Wifi capability vanished. Complains that cable unplugged

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jakesalomon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wifi capability vanished. Complains that cable unplugged

Post by jakesalomon »

Hi Y'all and thanks much for your patient help these past weeks.

I think it's time to stop banging my head on the wall on give up on the WiFi under Linux Mint with the HP-installed rtl8821ce device (which works fine under windows and worked fine for the first few days.) Rather than risk messing with the secure boot setting in the bios :chicken: I have invested ~$10 in a TP-Link Nano USB adapter. (Model TL-WN725N, if that means anything to anyone.) The package claims Linux support, though the insert give instructions only for Windows and MAC-OS.

I'll post the results, good or bad, on this thread. A Google search (or was it Duck Duck Go?) tells me I am far from the only person with this frustrating conundrum. Maybe I can post a useful solution for this community.

WOW! This post is less than one screenfull! Who am I and what have I done with me?! :shock:
--- Jake S
"Oh, I am a cook and a captain bold, And the mate of the Nancy brig,
And a bo'sun tight, and a midshipmite, And the crew of the captain's gig."
---
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

jakesalomon wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:56 am Rather than risk messing with the secure boot setting in the bios
There is no risk. Just do it. :wink:

I disable Secure Boot on all of my machines (and on the machines under my care), as a matter of course. And have been doing so for years. Without any problems or issues caused thereby.

Secure Boot is not a security feature in the practical sense of the word. It's just a Microsoft ploy to make installing another OS more difficult.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jakesalomon
Level 1
Level 1

Solved: Wifi capability vanished. Complains that cable unplugged

Post by jakesalomon »

Pjotr,
Following your assurance and your very believable description of Secure Boot as a Microsoft device to make life difficult, I finally decoded to UN-chicken (the :chicken: chicken emoji isn't clear) and disabled the secure boot at the bios. The moment I completed the Linux boot, all the wireless devices nearby - including my WiFi printer and my neighbors' routers - were visible. I unplugged the RJ-45 from the PC and I am running via the WiFi as I type this. Of course, wired is faster; the tp-link was only USB-2, to my annoyance, so I will be running wired whenever It's on my desk.

It helps that I was unable to locate a driver for the tp-link device for the 5.15.0-58 kernel. Great motivation.

I don't know if anyone here remembers JCL (Job Control Language) on old IBM mainframes. The Devil's Dictionary of IT (which I can't find online) defined JCL as "An abstruse tool designed to prevent creation of new software."

NOW I'm free to ask other questions about subpartitions and /etc/fstab. But that will be another thread.

THANKS! Спасибо вам большое! Nagyon szépen köszönöm! Grazie mille! !תודה רבה
--- Jake S
---
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Secure Boot is not a security feature in the practical sense of the word. It's just a Microsoft ploy to make installing another OS more difficult
I hate to say it out of respect for never trying to sound like I'm going along with a crowd against those who think otherwise, but I too have enough experience disabling Secure boot and it never has given me problems. It is simply a bs placebo Microsoft created..period. TPM imo isn't much different.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
jakesalomon
Level 1
Level 1

Solved: Wifi capability vanished. Complains that cable unplugged

Post by jakesalomon »

Mororyzen and Pjotr,

While I was happy with the Linux result - that WiFi suddenly works when Secure Boot is disabled, I need to add a caveat.

When I next booted windows, it came up with a message on the same blue screen as the blue screen of death. It complained about a changed in the BIOS and invited me to enter the 4-digit code shown. WHERE??? Oh, there it was! :relief:

It next complained about some unspecified problem and invited me to either turn off or run the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter failed and I feared I had bricked my Windows partition. I took the ShutDown this time, ready to run an Acronis restore but tried just once more. Yayyy! I got my Windows back as well.

Just advising others about this potential panic-inducer. I suppose it's Microsoft's little vengeance for daring to install another OS. Is there an emoji for thumbing my nose? Though this will do in the meantime: :tongue:
--- Jake S
---

Return to “Networking”