[Solved] Wi-Fi download only 0.4 Mbps on new LAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Wi-Fi download only 0.4 Mbps on new LAN

Post by 72nCounting »

Solution at viewtopic.php?p=2289002#p2289002, force G mode.

Original problem statement below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I replaced my router last week, and since then my Wi-Fi download speed has ranged from 0.1 to 6 Mbps. This afternoon it's 0.4.

I got the 0.4 on a Dell Inspiron tower setting a foot and a half from the router. I've unplugged the Ethernet from it, so I can use it to test Wi-Fi. I get 85 Mbps down on it when it's connect via Ethernet. Upload on it is 12 Mbps, whether over Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

This is the first time I've set up a LAN manually, and my first time setting one up from a Linux computer. rene, viewtopic.php?f=52&t=389251, kindly taught me that you can set up a LAN manually, using your browser, by logging into the router's web server. And, she showed me how to begin. Then Linksys Support helped me with the initial password and settings. But, Linksys is unable to help me with this slow Wi-Fi download speed.

The router is a WRT160N. (I know WRT160N's were built around 2008; but I just took this one out of its shrinkwrap last week; so, it's a brand new router.)
My computer is a Dell Latitude E6540, running LinuxMint Cinnamon, 21.1, (Vera), with all updates installed.
It's connected directly to the router via Ethernet. (The router is also connected directly to an Ethernet switch, which connects my printer and other things to the LAN.)
I need the Wi-Fi for my wife's laptop, which is in another room.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ringshellfish
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wi-Fi download only 0.4 Mbps on new LAN

Post by ringshellfish »

What are your Wi-Fi settings (in the router)? Are there many other Wi-Fi networks where you live? How far are you away from the router when the speed drops and are there possibly objects that could interfere with the signal?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Update the router firmware to the latest version and try again.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 72nCounting »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:38 pm Update the router firmware to the latest version and try again.
Inadequate firmware may be the problem. Mine is version 1. I asked Linksys about an update; but they said my router's beyond it's service life, and they no longer offer updates for its firmware. If that's the problem, I guess I live with refresh pauses in movies.

Thanks for the suggestion.
ringshellfish wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:29 pm What are your Wi-Fi settings (in the router)? Are there many other Wi-Fi networks where you live? How far are you away from the router when the speed drops and are there possibly objects that could interfere with the signal?
Well, there are many settings in my router's admin pages. About which one(s) are your curious?
Yes, there are several neighbors close enough that I see their routers when I scan for available networks.
The computer I'm using to test my Wi-Fi download speed is a foot and a half from the router.
The only physical object between the router and the receiving computer is another computer's monitor.
ringshellfish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ringshellfish »

72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:55 pm About which one(s) are your curious?
The frequency you use (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz), channel, bandwidth, maybe there are some power-saving related options?
72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:55 pm The computer I'm using to test my Wi-Fi download speed is a foot and a half from the router.
That are 0.5 meters if I converted that correctly. So interference shouldn't be the issue.

Have you tested the Wi-Fi with other devices or only with the laptop?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:55 pm
Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:38 pm Update the router firmware to the latest version and try again.
Inadequate firmware may be the problem. Mine is version 1. I asked Linksys about an update; but they said my router's beyond it's service life, and they no longer offer updates for its firmware.
I used to have a Linksys WRT 160N v3 myself. If you feel a bit adventurous: the alternative FreshTomato firmware should work on your device:
https://wiki.freshtomato.org/doku.php/h ... patibility

More about FreshTomato (and how to install it, which is a bit tricky, but still perfectly doable):
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/tomato.html

This is the version that should be fit for your device if its v3:
http://freshtomato.org/downloads/fresht ... 7-Mini.zip

If it's v1, you need this version:

Additional benefit: it contains recent security updates. Not unimportant for a router....
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 72nCounting »

ringshellfish wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:08 pm
72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:55 pm About which one(s) are your curious?
The frequency you use (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz), channel, bandwidth, maybe there are some power-saving related options?
This router has only the 2.4 GHz band. I've left it set on the channel it automatically filled in during setup, channel 11. It's using "Standard - 20MHz Channel". I guess that's the bandwidth. Didn't recognize any settings as power saving.

ringshellfish wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:08 pm Have you tested the Wi-Fi with other devices or only with the laptop?
With my tower, a foot and a half from the router, and my wife's laptop, in another room. Both give the painfully slow Wi-Fi download speeds.
Curiously, my cellphone reports my LAN speed as 65 Mbps. That's not a speed test result though, just what it says under "Network speed".

That thought about my cell reporting 65 Mbps might help. Thanks.

It's Shabbat now though, so I'm gonna to let this sit 'til maybe some time Sunday.
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 72nCounting »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:14 pm I used to have a Linksys WRT 160N v3 myself. If you feel a bit adventurous: the alternative FreshTomato firmware should work on your device:
https://wiki.freshtomato.org/doku.php/h ... patibility
Yeah, I think I'm game.

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:14 pm This is the version that should be fit for your device if its v3:

My router's firmware is version is "v1.02.2 Nov 16, 2007". So, you're saying I need FreshTomato's ...RT-MIPSR1... version, right?

It's Shabbat now though. So, I'm gonna to let this sit 'til maybe some time Sunday.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:02 pm I got the 0.4 on a Dell Inspiron tower setting a foot and a half from the router. I've unplugged the Ethernet from it, so I can use it to test Wi-Fi. I get 85 Mbps down on it when it's connect via Ethernet. Upload on it is 12 Mbps, whether over Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
First thing I'd try -- the Tomato stuff is a bit advanced at this stage, I'd feel -- is force the router to Wireless-N. I.e., your router does B (11 Mb/s), G (54 Mb/s) and N (300 Mb/s) and it will in its settings have an option to either pick automatically or force it to any of those: try forcing it to N.

Given the 85 Mb/s of your wired connection the 54 Mb/s of G also doesn't look too bad if forcing to N doesn't help -- but note that 54 Mb/s is usually a bit optimistic and that you shouldn't with that generation be surprised at e.g. 25 Mb/s max in practice. Still mentioning it since -N in fact was often troublesome at the time, whereas -G worked great.

But certainly first try -N. If you get a bandwidth choice between 20 or 40 Mhz, be sure to pick latter.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Note; also make sure to dis-/re-connect wireless devices after toggling settings in there.

[EDIT] Am off, but are you by the way sure that you're not wasting money by using an old router with an ISP-connection that can do more? That is, I just noticed that its LAN ports are 100 Mb/s only which is close enough to your mentioned 85 Mb/s that it'd make me nervous that it's only your own equipment that's keeping you from getting speeds you're actually paying your ISP for.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:32 pm My router's firmware is version is "v1.02.2 Nov 16, 2007". So, you're saying I need FreshTomato's ...RT-MIPSR1... version, right?
No, it's not the firmware version but the hardware version that counts here. Look on the casing of the router for the type plate / identification plate; it should say something like v2 or v3 after the name of the router.

Look for something like this:
Model No. WRT 160N V3

See this ebay advertisement, that also contains a relevant picture of the bottom of the casing of a Linksys WRT 160N (version 3):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175062285628
72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:32 pm It's Shabbat now though. So, I'm gonna to let this sit 'til maybe some time Sunday.
Goed sjabbes! :)
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 72nCounting »

rene wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:43 pm First thing I'd try -- the Tomato stuff is a bit advanced at this stage, I'd feel -- is force the router to Wireless-N. I.e., your router does B (11 Mb/s), G (54 Mb/s) and N (300 Mb/s).... Given the 85 Mb/s of your wired connection the 54 Mb/s of G also doesn't look too bad if forcing to N doesn't help....
Thanks rene. I forced it to N, and 40MHz; I still got just 0.4 down, 12.1 up. But, I tried G, and it gives me 17.0 down, and 12.2 up. I may try that for a while, and see what I think.

But, I'm also gonna read the Tomato instructions, and see what I'd be getting myself into. I like the idea of more up-to-date malware protection, as well as probably getting more than 17 Mbps down.

rene wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:48 pm ...are you by the way sure that you're not wasting money by using an old router with an ISP-connection that can do more? That is, I just noticed that its LAN ports are 100 Mb/s only which is close enough to your mentioned 85 Mb/s that it'd make me nervous that it's only your own equipment that's keeping you from getting speeds you're actually paying your ISP for.
I'm leery of newer equipment if it's made in China, (or any communist country that works with China). As you've probably read, the Chinese government is requiring electronics manufacturers in their country to secretly embed functionality that the Chinese government can use to see what you're doing. I don't want that in my home!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I'll in that case then comment that your WRT160N uses a Broadcom chip as its brains and that Broadcom's CEO is 陳福陽.

As in... ah, not as in. As in never mind... :)
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 72nCounting »

rene wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:46 pm I'll in that case then comment that your WRT160N uses a Broadcom chip as its brains and that Broadcom's CEO is 陳福陽. As in... ah, not as in. As in never mind... :)
Figures. But, Linksys told me my router was made in 2008. Best I know, that was before Chinese manufacturers were embedding spyware. So though it's old, this router should be safe.
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 72nCounting »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:14 pm I used to have a Linksys WRT 160N v3 myself. If you feel a bit adventurous: the alternative FreshTomato firmware should work on your device:
Pjotr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:31 am
72nCounting wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:32 pm My router's firmware is version is "v1.02.2 Nov 16, 2007". So, you're saying I need FreshTomato's ...RT-MIPSR1... version, right?
No, it's not the firmware version but the hardware version that counts here. Look on the casing of the router for the type plate / identification plate; it should say something like v2 or v3 after the name of the router. Look for something like this: Model No. WRT 160N V3
Thanks for the correction. Name plate reads: "Model No. WTR160N" No version shown, which I suppose means it's version 1.

I read the Read Me in freshtomato-K26_RT-MIPSR1-2022.7-Mini. I'm familiar with very little of what's there. And since I now have 17 Mbps down to my wife's laptop using G mode, (see my response to rene), and my wife's happy with that, I'm going to call that good enough for now. I'd love to learn what I need to know to do that firmware install; but I think wisdom says to move on.

Pjotr, I sincerely thank you for your responses. My wife was amazed that people, (you, rene, and ringshellfish), would take their time to help others. We are truly grateful.
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 72nCounting »

rene wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:43 pm First thing I'd try ... force the router to Wireless-N. I.e., your router does B (11 Mb/s), G (54 Mb/s) and N (300 Mb/s).... Given the 85 Mb/s of your wired connection the 54 Mb/s of G also doesn't look too bad ... N in fact was often troublesome at the time, whereas -G worked great.
rene, thank you for giving your time to help us, (my wife and me); she's happy with the 17 down, and urging me to move on to other things. Your answer makes that possible.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

72nCounting wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:48 pm Name plate reads: "Model No. WTR160N" No version shown, which I suppose means it's version 1.
It does.
72nCounting wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:48 pm I read the Read Me in freshtomato-K26_RT-MIPSR1-2022.7-Mini. I'm familiar with very little of what's there. And since I now have 17 Mbps down to my wife's laptop using G mode, (see my response to rene), and my wife's happy with that, I'm going to call that good enough for now.
Understandable. :)

Return to “Networking”