Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mercuzio
Level 2
Level 2

Disturbing devices

Post by Mercuzio » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 am

Is it possible that any devices around my flat might affect my wifi connections ? I mean other any router outside or other devices for home theatre or anything else

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Disturbing devices

Post by Mattyboy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Lots of things can effect wifi ( radio waves ). https://www.todayshomeowner.com/why-wir ... ome-homes/

People using the same broadcasting channel is a common one in buildings of multiple occupancy with lots of different routers.

Mercuzio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mercuzio » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Mattyboy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:05 pm
Lots of things can effect wifi ( radio waves ). https://www.todayshomeowner.com/why-wir ... ome-homes/

People using the same broadcasting channel is a common one in buildings of multiple occupancy with lots of different routers.
How to reduce "multiple occupancy" ? Is it possible to switch on another channel ?

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Mercuzio wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm
How to reduce "multiple occupancy" ? Is it possible to switch on another channel ?
"multiple occupancy" means buildings in which lots of people live, such as flats and apartments. Buildings that have a lot of different wifi routers.

It may be possible to switch to another broadcasting channel. You will need to sign in to your router and look at the available settings.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I think some routers will do a "site survey" that checks for activity on all the available channels. If your router will do that then pick one of the channels with little use. If you have a smart phone, I have a wifi analyzer app for my Android phone, and I would assume they are available for iThingys, too.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Askey307
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Askey307 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:08 am

In the world of networking this happens a lot. I experiences this every day in my current occupation as a Network Administrator.

If you have any basic router knowledge can you do the following?

* First download a Wifi Analyzer on your phone to determine what channels/frequencies are occupied the most so that you can choose the one with the least interference.
* Determine what frequency band your radio and other household items which broadcast a signal. Routers work on 2.4 and 5 ghz.
* Most home based routers/peripherals like printers etc still use 2.4ghz.
* If there is to much interference in your area, consider dropping the channel width of your radio to 10mhz or 20mhz. This will drop your throughput but will give you stability.
* Most commercial entry level router is not intelligent enough to fully utilize the "Auto" channel selection thus the reason for the wifi analyzer so that you can choose your own.
* if your AP supports AP Isolation, make use of it.

There is tons of things that can jeopardize your signal, nLOS, walls, other radio waves, noise, sound (believe it or not), reflective surfaces like metal.

What is the actual problem you're experiencing?

Return to “Wireless”