[SOLVED]Obtaining WiFi card capable of manipulation.

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED]Obtaining WiFi card capable of manipulation.

Post by Charlie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 am

Does anyone know if there exists a WiFi adapter that is open to manipulation, so not locked to a specific Reg Domain and can be reliably changed. It must also be a powerful beast in itself also. Potentially I would want to use this while travelling so not to fall foul of differing national regulations.

I have an Alfa adapter but that is locked to GB so is useless as a travel companion.
Last edited by Charlie on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Darlow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Obtaining WiFi card capable of manipulation.

Post by Neil Darlow » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:00 pm

As I understand it, wireless cards respect their programmed Regulatory Domain but it's possible to change to a more restrictive one.

That said, it makes sense to use a card with the most permissive Regulatory Domain for global travelling. There are articles on the Internet that describe using the iw utility to change Regulatory Domain in association with the crda package on Linux.
LM19 Cinnamon, Intel Core i5 8400 2.8(4.0)GHz, Corsair Vengeance 3400 16GB, Asus Cerberus GTX1050 Ti OC, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2, Western Digital Blue 4TB, Wircard RealTek 8821ae PCIe Dual Band Wireless+Bluetooth 4.0, Pioneer BDR-209EBK BDRW

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Cheers for the reply. I am aware that on some WiFi cards it may be possible to change the Reg Domain via iw but that doesn't work if the card is locked, as mine is to GB.

What I am looking for is a good powerful adapter that allows change.

It is a bit irresponsible to sell an adapter that is commonly used by travellers while it is locked to a single country. This could potentially get them into trouble in some countries.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Found one that fits the bill.

Return to “Wireless”