Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tedtrash
Level 1
Level 1

Simple fix for Broadcom driver

Post by tedtrash »

The following fix worked to enable the wireless driver on an eMachines eM350 netbook with Broadcom wireless ethernet adapter.
Fix works using only the Synaptic Package manager. No need for any terminal commands. :D
OS is Linux Mint 9 XFCE

From the Menu navigate to Menu/System/Synaptic Package Manager.
(If you have never used the package manager take the time to read the intro notes, if they appear)
Summary - We are completely removing all the broadcom drivers and dependencies and reinstalling them. The Synaptic Package Manager will do the work for us.

1. From the Synaptic Package Manager, click Reload and then type broadcom into the Quick Search bar.
2. Locate all packages in the resulting list that have a green checkbox.
(alternate, change the filter in the upper right-hand box from ALL to Installed and the package list will only show the green checked items )
3. Right click on each of these packages and select "Mark for complete removal"
4. Click the big Apply button to implement removal.
5. A pop-up window will appear allowing you to confirm. Click Apply in the lower left corner. Another pop-up will appear and you can click details to pass the time. Note. There is no fanfare when the changes have been applied. The text just changes in the same window to say that changes have successfully completed.

##That completes removal now on to reinstallation.

6. Make sure your filter (In the upper left box) is set to All and your Quick search is for broadcom
7. Select bcmwl-kernel-source and bcmwl-modalaliases by right clicking and selecting "Mark for installation."
8. Apply.
9. Close Synaptic Package Manager and restart the machine.

The end result for me after this fix was that the card was detected automatically on startup and when I ran Menu/System/Hardware Drivers, the propietary broadcom driver was already enabled.
Prior to the fix, any attempt to enable the driver came up with an error telling me to look at the var/jockey log, which contained info about a conflict in a long list of logged errors and processes.

In the end, after pursuing MANY avenues to fix the broadcom drivers in a previous install, I reasoned out this simple fix and did a little happy dance when it worked.
I believe this method is very safe and may be effective for many netbooks with broadcom 43XX wireless adapter cards.

Please post if it works for you.
Last edited by tedtrash on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtrash
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Simple fix for Broadcom driver

Post by tedtrash »

Quick addendum to the above fix:

Initially, I changed the repositories in the Synaptic Package manager to include Source Code.
I am not sure how necessary and/or dangerous it is. It is not selected by default.

To select it within Synaptic Package manager:
Settings/Repositories, then left click the box that says source code.

Once the fix was implemented, I went back and unchecked it as a repository.

I recommend attempting the fix without this step first, as the default repositories may just work.

If anyone confirms that this step is not necessary, please post a reply on this thread. :D

Return to “Wireless”