Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ashfaq
Level 2
Level 2

3G Modem Not detected in Mint13

Post by ashfaq »

I have two 3g Modems, Huwavei E173 and Micromax MMX 352G. Micrmax, is the one I am able to run in live cd, but in the installed version mint fails to detect the Mobile broadband network. Tried Re-Starting the system several times. Re-inserting the modem also for several times. Nothing happens. The Same Modem works flawlessly in LMDE 2012, dual booted in same pc. As qbittorrent doesn't work in LMDE most of my downloading and surfing is through 'Maya' Only.

Please someone guide me to correct this problem with proper how-to...? Thanks in advance. My Brother has taken the other Modem E173 with him, and as I was sure the micromax worked in live CD it would work on the installed version too. But it seems I am in Problem now!

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 3G Modem Not detected in Mint13

Post by oobetimer »

Some modems requires usbserial and option in the /etc/modules file.

gksudo pluma /etc/modules

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
usbserial
option

There are least three different Huawei E173 and one´s data is missing in /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules file, so you can add the next line to the file.

# Huawei E173u
ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="140c", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

Run sudo service udev restart after editing.

Reboot computer after operations.

ashfaq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashfaq »

oobetimer wrote:Some modems requires usbserial and option in the /etc/modules file.

gksudo pluma /etc/modules

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
usbserial
option

There are least three different Huawei E173 and one´s data is missing in /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules file, so you can add the next line to the file.

# Huawei E173u
ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="140c", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

Run sudo service udev restart after editing.

Reboot computer after operations.
Dear, I dont have the E173 Modem with me right now, but it worked perfectly on the installed system. I am left with the Micromax, MMX 352G Modem right now in my possession! this Modem is detected, and runs in live USB OR CD, but on the insalled Mint 13 this is not detected. Infact the Mobile Broadband option itself doesn't come up. Help me with installing the entries for this Modem, First How to go to to the Files, and Make the neccessary corrections, please help me with that. I am not a linux expert so kindly help me with all steps please! Thankyou for genuinely noticing the problem.

How to check the modem entries, by which command? Further how to enter and where the neccessary changes, and this could resolve the Modem issue for all the listed and unlisted Modems in future as well and all members could take lesson from this thread.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer »

Return to “Wireless”