Wifi problems

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Benzi Junior

Wifi problems

Post by Benzi Junior »

I have just finished putting up Linux for the first time and everything seems to be working fine except for the wireless network adapter doesn't work
I have found many discussions and solutions none of which have worked for my model A Toshiba Satellite C870-13D only available in Scandinavia and thus the Toshiba website refuses to acknowledge it's existense unless you set your country to one of the Scandinavian countries so to make things simple the support page for the model is:http://nordic.computers.toshiba-europe. ... service=ND
the wierless adapter is Realtek 8723 and the onoly place I have been able to find the driver dor it is on the Toshiba support site

I have downloaded the driver extracted it but it comes in a .EXE format so I opened that with file manager and copied all the files from within it to a folder so I could access the files directly then I opened the ndiswrapper GUI that comes with the OS and tried to install avery single .INF that came out of the .EXE originally I was having the "FATAL: ndiswrapper module not found" error but have re-installed ndiswrapper and that error no longer occurs however it still says I have invalid drivers for the Wireless adapter

Keep in mind I am new to this so I may have overlooked something stupefyingly simple and am willing to admit that what what I have done so may have been moronic ( I don't think opening the .EXE file and copy/pasting the files was the right way to do it )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Wifi problems

Post by mads »

As far as I know, ndiswrapper works only with Windows XP drivers.
You could try to find XP drivers, or install Realtek Linux drivers.
For the latter, check out this page:
Wireless card Realtek RTL8723AE-BT is not recognized
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Benzi Junior

Post by Benzi Junior »

mads wrote:As far as I know, ndiswrapper works only with Windows XP drivers.
You could try to find XP drivers, or install Realtek Linux drivers.
For the latter, check out this page:
Wireless card Realtek RTL8723AE-BT is not recognized
The solution posted there doesn't seem to work on Mint instead when I try to make the driver I get

Code: Select all

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/build M=/home/bjarki/Sótt gögn/rtl_92ce_92se_92de_8723ae_linux_mac80211_0006.0514.2012 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `gögn/rtl_92ce_92se_92de_8723ae_linux_mac80211_0006.0514.2012'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2
the same occurs when I use sudo make install there were some notes on removing line 320 from the base.c file in order to get it t o work on the 3.4 (does maya run on the 3.4 kernel)
I tried it to no effect
mads

Post by mads »

I might have found the source for the error.
Check out post #8 by 'chili555' here.
Benzi Junior

Post by Benzi Junior »

That was the problem a " " character in the directory so this problem has been solved

Thank you all so very much

Return to “Networking”