Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jonathanathan
Level 1
Level 1

Broadcom in Bea/Bianca vs. Barbara

Post by Jonathanathan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:40 pm

In Barbara I used the very easy Unofficial Ubuntu Guide directions and installed WifiRadar - it worked like a charm. But with Bea and Bianca I've had a long and frustrating experience.

OKAY, so I put the MINT CD in the drive, followed the Guide's directions, and it worked in Barbara. Why doesn't this work in Bea/Bianca?
And believe me, I've tried EVERY alternate MINT forum suggestion.

Here's the directions in the Guide:
Ndiswrapper for Broadcom 43xx wireless chipset
* The Broadcom 43xx (bcm43xx) wireless chipset is one of the most common chipsets, so special scripts have been written for it.
* Only follow this if you have a bcm43xx device. To check in the Terminal type:

lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation

If it displays a line similar to this,

0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

you have a Broadcom wireless chipset. Please proceed with the instructions.

* Put the Ubuntu CD that you installed Ubuntu with in the CD drive.
* Download this to the desktop (the Firefox default, so if you haven't changed it, that's where it went/will go).
* In a terminal type

cd ~/Desktop (or wherever you downloaded the file)
tar -xf bcm4318*.tar.gz
sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup

Your wireless chipset should now work. Try rebooting if you have problems. Please see this thread if you have problems: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... diswrapper

Thanks,
-Jon

Jonathanathan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jonathanathan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:40 pm

As in.... can these directions possibly be replicated in Bea/Bianca with such easy results? Can you load NDIS wrappers from the install disk or from a regular Ubuntu install disk even?

The only MINT forum option that I have NOT tried is here:

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2367#2367

because it consistently results in a page that says that this forum topic is not available. Otherwise, I have tried literally EVERY Bea/Bianca Broadcom wireless fix.

It would be a good idea to have those directions available again since they are referenced on every post list but are never accessible.

Thanks,
-Jon

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:16 pm

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2367#2367

What's new in Bea is Network Manager. You could remove it and reboot to see if the guide works then. Also the version of ndiswrapper might be different.

Clem

gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 am

Thanks! All well works on mine ACER Aspire 3000, Linux mint :lol: :D

JReagan1990
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JReagan1990 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 pm

which file do I need to download?

EDIT: nevermind, I found it on the Ubuntu site. :oops:

gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:44 pm

JReagan1990 wrote:which file do I need to download?

EDIT: nevermind, I found it on the Ubuntu site. :oops:
There on page is where to load look here Dowload http://compwiz18.blackhole.cx/bcm4318/g ... all.tar.gz And then follow the instruction http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... diswrapper all very simply

Jonathan
Level 1
Level 1

FIXED!

Post by Jonathan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Note: I wrote the original post a long time ago. My username apparently became inactive.

Basically the problem was that I was trying to get my wireless working without an active wired connection to the internet. I literally tried EVERY fix offered without a connection, simply because the Mint FAQ's said that this was possible - without a wired connection.

Later, after having a wired connection, I followed Clem's advice to uninstall and reinstall the wireless packages. I do not know if that was necessary. After uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless packages - with an active wired connection - the wireless worked flawlessly.

I may have no idea what mysterious forces were at work when I used an active connection, and that did not work when I was not connected, but using a wired connection seemed to fix the ability to use wireless after disconnecting the wired connection.

In short - do not try to activate your wireless without having an active wired connection first in order to set it up. Trying every other fix without a wired connection proved to be impossible for me.

Perhaps someone else can get it to work that way, but then again, they probably wouldn't be using Mint/Ubuntu! I have a pile of advanced degrees, but none of them are in computer science!

Thanks for the {relatively} trouble free distro, Mint!

-Jon

Return to “Wireless”