Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Gnome-Network-Manager and LiveCD

Post by akshunj » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:32 am

First of all, Mint is pretty slick. Been using it on my desktop for a while now, and decided to install the new Bianca on my Thinkpad T40.

The LiveCD loads fine. All the bells and whistles. However, the network manager doesn't seem to connect the wireless. I've got a standard setup with 128-bit WEP, and I plug in the key, click connect, and nothing.

The good news is that I'm a linux vet, and I just pulled up the command line, used iwconfig to associate with my essid, plugged in the key, and grabbed an ip with dhclient. Life is good.

Clearly this is an issue with Gnome-Network-Manager. OR it's a permissions issue. I still can't figure out how Mint/Ubuntu lets regular users administer the system without a root password. It's WEIRD! Is that my issue?

--Akshun J

akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

more info

Post by akshunj » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Did I mention that network-manager sees the wi-fi hotspot around me. It just won't connect to them. Does anyone know if this is just a Live-CD issue, or something more systemic?

Bueller?

--Akshun J

akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akshunj » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:54 am

So, I'll conclude that gnome-network-manager is crap, and one should use wifi-radar as an alternative. Too bad. It looked good...

--Akshun J

akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

maybe not crap...

Post by akshunj » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:19 pm

So, I think I figured out network-manager.

1. If you're using WEP, make sure you choose the proper encryption scheme from the drop-down. Passphrase, HEX, or ASCII.

2. Again, if you're using WEP, you can't just go and connect to the essid you see displayed. You have to choose the "connect to other wireless network" option. Use the same essid, plug in your WEP info, and cross your fingers. Mine connected painlessly. A bit counterintuitive, but it worked...

Hope this helps someone. If network-manager continues to improve, it should be the network standard on linux. The design is excellent. Just some bugs still left in it...

--Akshun J

jml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jml » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Just read your posts today. Glad to see you got network-manager working. I agree with you that it is an excellent application. In my opinion, its greatest weakness is the relative lack of good documentation on how to use it. I remember when I first tried to install it way back before it was included in most distro's, I didn,t even know how to access it. The distinction between application (shows up in the menu) and applet (does not,) was initially lost on me.

Joe

tipaul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tipaul » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:55 am

Pretty interesting akshunj!!!

But now, i've installed ndiswrapper driver of my Dell Truemobile (BCM4308) WLAN card and also installed wifi-radar package... Which is working great BUT i need to manually start the connexion with it... Which bothers me...

First time I opened up Mint, NetworkManager saw my wireless card and wired one... WEP key wasn't working and i couldn't connect (seemed like a trouble like yours). But since the changes mentioned above, wireless is not showed anymore in NetworkManager!!!????

I would loved to try your suggestion and leave wifi-radar which is not "cute" and accessible as NetworkManager... :roll:

akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akshunj » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:32 pm

tipaul wrote:Pretty interesting akshunj!!!

But now, i've installed ndiswrapper driver of my Dell Truemobile (BCM4308) WLAN card and also installed wifi-radar package... Which is working great BUT i need to manually start the connexion with it... Which bothers me...

First time I opened up Mint, NetworkManager saw my wireless card and wired one... WEP key wasn't working and i couldn't connect (seemed like a trouble like yours). But since the changes mentioned above, wireless is not showed anymore in NetworkManager!!!????

I would loved to try your suggestion and leave wifi-radar which is not "cute" and accessible as NetworkManager... :roll:
Network Manager still needs some work. It still gives me some eccentric behavior every now and again.

You're right, wi-fi radar won't "bring up" the interface. I was using a script that I wrote in rc.local. You'd have to "get under the hood", but it works and makes wifi-radar more seamless...

--Akshun J

Return to “Wireless”