Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
theknight38
Level 1
Level 1

DHCP issue with WiFi connection

Postby theknight38 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello everyone, i recently installed the latest Mint distribution (Nadia) - MATE gdm - since I am a long time fan of this beautiful distro.
I have little experience in wireless, and although I have been working with linux based system for years as part of my job, I'm literally hitting my head in the wall with this issue.

After a clean installation, on a dual boot laptop

Code: Select all

Machine:   System: Sony product: VPCF24C5E version: C60A7RYG serial: 54247547-0000819
           Mobo: Sony model: VAIO Bios: American Megatrends version: R2160V3 date: 09/23/2011

with this NICs

Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: f0:bf:97:e9:92:9d
           Card-2: Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 64:27:37:97:fd:7d

I tried to connect to my access point, but with little success.

The story so far:
Windows O.S. wireless working properly (well, needless to say, the laptop is Windows tested)
Red-Hat based distrubutions - I used to work mainly on these - (Fedora/CentOS): wireless working properly
Mint: pain. Installed at university, wireless working flawlessly. Come back home, NetworkManager trying to connect repeatedly with no success.

Honestly I tried only the basic checkup routines, since I am really new to Debian based distros (read n00b) and I really haven't much time (any more ç_ç) to mess up with an unknown system.
From the syslog, I reckon that the SSID is correctedly detected as well as the wireless setting. The WPA2 key is entered, but when NM hands over to DHCLIENT to obtain a lease, the process times out repeatedly until it reaches the max number ot attempts and dies.

The very odd thing is, when I connect to the router by cable and THEN try to set up a wireless connection, the DHCLIENT finds a lease in no time.
If I disconnect the cable, disconnect WiFi and reconnect WiFi only, the DHCLIENT still works like a charm.

Now I'm really baffles.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Also, please tell me what information I could provide to...help you helping me.

Thanks in advance :)

theknight38
Level 1
Level 1

Re: DHCP issue with WiFi connection

Postby theknight38 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 pm

This

http://tech.danbarrese.com/2012/07/12/xps-8500-atheros-ar9485-wifi-doesnt-work-in-linux-solved/

seems to SOLVE the issue. It basically told me to install a (newer?) version of compact-wireless and selecting "Atheros" driver.
Of course I had to replace

$ wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-

With the latest version. I actually downloaded the tarball from the website (it was easier to navigate to the seemingly last release).

Thanks all anyway :)
However, curiosity remains about what the issue exactly was...

Return to “Wireless”