Just some basic questions about setting up a WLAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Scott65

Just some basic questions about setting up a WLAN

Post by Scott65 »

Hi,

I'd like to setup a wireless network, but I have some concerns that maybe someone can help me with.
#1, I don't have a cable modem, I connect wirelessly to a Free Wi-Fi hotspot with a USB hi-gain antenna.
I have another laptop that I want to access the wireless connection on the first computer; both computers are connected via a crossover cable right now, (no Internet on 2nd one) and I also have a wireless printer that I'd like to hook up eventually...

I've been told to "just get a router" and that will work. But when I look into it, most routers aren't designed for Linux (of course), and have to be plugged into a DSL / Cable modem, (which I dont' have) for Internet access.

So my question is, is there some way to connect this together wirelessly and still have the USB wireless Internet connection, and have Internet access on the 2nd pc, and be able to access the printer from both PCs?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: Just some basic questions about setting up a WLAN

Post by trapperjohn »

Have a look at "creating a wireless hotspot." There are many tutorials, e.g. http://exain.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/m ... b-adapter/

You will need two adaptors on the computer that connects to the internet: one to make the connection to the internet and one to serve your LAN.
Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

thanks for the info. I have 2 wireless adapters. The USB which I use to connect and the Broadcom built-in...

And was able to use Mint-->Network Settings-->Wireless-->Use as Hotspot to turn the one computer into a hotspot, and connect to it with my other one, but I can't access any of the shared folders like I couldwith the crossover cable, and still no Internet... but at least it shows it can be done.

Now I just have to figure out how to configure it...
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

Just a quick question. When you say you can't connect to the internet, can you ping an external ip address from your terminal? ie: ~ping 8.8.8.8

Sharing the folders is something you have to work out with Samba.
Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

Hi, thanks for your help.

It won't ping nowhere.

I have both of these laptops sitting on the same table. #1 is connected to a WiFi Internet hotspot via a USB hi-gain antenna. The builtin broadcom 4312 wireless is setup as an ad-hoc hotspot. The device MAC address for the 4312 is set to wlan1 (the USB antenna) the only other option is eth0 which is unplugged... (and I've tried it both ways anyways)
Ipv4 is set to shared to other computers... ipv6 = automatic

the other computer is right now connected to the hotspot setup on laptop 1.
Its setup for shared to other computers too... MAC address is wlan0 which is it's wireless card...

But it won't ping anywhere (connect: Network is unreachable) and I have samba setup, and if I plugged-in a crossover cable share works...

need help setting up ad-hoc hotspot... masquerade ip_forwarding or something... using laptop 1 as a router...
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Here are two sites that describe an approach that I have used successfully:

http://teh-geek.com/?p=512

http://www.ehacking.net/2012/03/how-to- ... point.html

Note that they are both being done on a distribution called Backtrack. The method works for me on Mint 13 but you need to install aircrack and dhcp3. Dhcp3 is in the package manager. You will have to build/install aircrack from source. http://www.aircrack-ng.org/ is the aircrack homepage and it includes some instructions.

Also look at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=109761 for some insight on another Mint user's aircrack install-from-source experience.

Again, I have done this on Mint, using the access point as an educational tool... showing volunteers in community groups why they need to be cautious with unknown wifi hotspots. I didn't find the performance of the routed connection all that good. It was slow and occasionally dropped the connections.

Not all wireless adaptors can be used to broadcast the hotspot. But, it's sounds to me that you have verified yours.

The install/configuration can be a bit of a challenge.
Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

Thanks for your help, trapperjohn.
Yeah I get what you're saying about unknown hotspots... have to keep that in mind...

I got the aircrack-ng compiled and working... and with airmon-ng and the other info you provided I was able to determine that my wireless driver didn't support ad-hoc mode, but there was a driver that would. I got the better one installed and blacklisted the other one...

And after messing around with the settings, I finally got it to access the Internet from the second laptop via the "hotspot" on the first laptop. (hurray)
I had to "Automatic DHCP (Addresses Only)" under Ipv4 settings and then manually input the DNS IPaddress to match the other computer then adjust the browser but got it..
(I'm using it right now) :)

Still can't access my shared folders though... got samba and shares on both... nautilus / nemo doesn't even see the other computer... with crossover cable it will work...

If you have any ideas about how to access my shared folders through wireless let me know..

thanks for your help....

Return to “Networking”