Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
neuroptera
Level 1
Level 1

Wireless disappeared at reboot

Post by neuroptera »

Hi all:

I've been running Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64-bit on a new Acer desktop I bought a month ago. My wireless Internet connection was running perfectly until I had to use the Windows partition to run some Windows-only program. When I got back to Mint, my wireless was nor working anymore. I cannot even select it on Network Settings nor in the pannel. I connected the machine throught ethernet and all good. I restarted the computer with Windows and it detects wireless connection immediately and all works normally, so I assume the hardware is working correctly. I've been googling for hours and getting so frustrated I feel like burning an Ubuntu disk and trying to reformat the whole thing. Got work to do on this machine. Any ideas?

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wireless disappeared at reboot

Post by TBABill »

When you restarted, was it soft reboot or did you completely shut down and restart? And have you tried to modprobe the driver via something like

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe b43
(b43 is a driver for a Broadcom BCM4311 and others) You can substitute b43 with whatever driver is used in Linux for your device. I'm curious if that will bring it back if a hard restart doesn't.

neuroptera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neuroptera »

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I am away from that computer now, but will try as soon as I get back.

To answer your other question, it was a cold boot, completely shut off and restart. This morning I booted the machine with the Mint install disk and it detected wireless immediately.

I might try doing an update to Mint 15 and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

neuroptera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neuroptera »

Should I expect something from modprobe? I just entered it into the terminal but just got the prompt back after entering the password. Any ideas?

Best,

S

neuroptera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neuroptera »

Installed Mint 15 and everything working fine now. Never found out what was the original cause of the problem.

Return to “Wireless”