Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Virgin media superhub anyone have one??

Post by daveinuk »

Hi Folks, just been on to virgin media having a moan about my cra**y wireless downstairs on the laptop and I've wangled a new superhub out of them as an upgrade for £20 one off fee :)

My gripe was the poor reception i get on my laptop running mint, the signal's averaging about 54% on network manager and repeatedly drops off from time to time, moreso when i'm trying to download ios's with transmission. I was pondering a wirelss repeater/ access point for the old router (netgear WGR614) but now i'm getting this superhub will it be needed? Are they THAT much better? The guy I spoke to seemed to think so . . . . . But then again he would :|

Just wondered if anyone had one that posts here ??

Thanks, Dave
dehawkinz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Virgin media superhub anyone have one??

Post by dehawkinz »

I have one

works fine with my linux set up on wired,
wireless, I seem to have an intermittient disconnect issue I never had before - but not sure if it is the superhub or something else
MusicBloke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MusicBloke »

Acer Aspire 5742 Laptop - Virgin Media Super Hub 2 - LinuxMint 16 64-bit KDE

I'm using LinuxMint 16 64-bit KDE, Newb, Virgin Media SuperHub 2 works to same device in Windows7 BUT booting into Linux I was able to patch and fix the Broadcom Mini Wireless card problem AND get it to connect wirelessly to my Mobile acting as a tether BUT even after adding a custom Connection in Linux to my SuperHub 2 box and checked settings many times with FING on my android scanning the Virgin Modems Channel SSID etc but it just won't connect, I cant figure why the SSID just does not show up? is it something in the Virgin Media settings?
davver73
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davver73 »

I agree, I'm totally new to Linux and I installed Mint 16 yesterday. I can connect via Ethernet, but not even a chance with Wireless through the "Superhub". I have tried to conect on another network using a different cable modem and router and it connects first time no problems, but for some reason I cannot connect wirelessly? I hope the info below can help and for the original poster of this topic, I feel your pain. :(

davver@davver-X55A:~ > mintWifi

Code: Select all

-------------------------
* I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
  -- Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
      ==> PCI ID = 1814:5390
* II. querying ndiswrapper...
* III. querying iwconfig...
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

* IV. querying ifconfig...
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:60:6e:97:35:61  
          inet addr:192.168.0.3  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::a60:6eff:fe97:3561/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:19 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1080 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1080 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:101800 (101.8 KB)  TX bytes:101800 (101.8 KB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 68:94:23:87:ac:1a  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

* V. querying DHCP...
[sudo] password for davver: 
RTNETLINK answers: File exists                                                                                                                                                                  
* VI. querying nslookup google.com...                                                                                                                                                           
Server:         194.168.4.100                                                                                                                                                                   
Address:        194.168.4.100#53                                                                                                                                                                

Non-authoritative answer:                                                                                                                                                                       
Name:   google.com                                                                                                                                                                              
Address: 173.194.34.64                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.71                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.73                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.68                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.65                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.69                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.70                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.78                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.72                                                                                                                                                                          
Address: 173.194.34.67
Address: 173.194.34.66
Please can anyone help because VM are about as suppotive as a balsa-wood pair of stilts.
Last edited by vrkalak on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for BBCode
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

some people have had luck with the following [but some have not]

http://www.techytalk.info/ubuntu/ralink-wireless/
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

No problems with mine. It sometimes takes a while to connect on first starting up but that's all. I think the signal strength indicator (as with mobile phones) is a work of fiction: my hub is about 10 feet away and it never reads above 77%.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

Return to “Wireless”