Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
juicer
Level 3
Level 3

2 wireless networks same mac address wlan0

Post by juicer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Installed LM15 last week and all seemed good at first. Now trouble connecting/staying connected with Trendnet wireless g USB adapter. Not sure where the fault lies.
I have a 2Wire dsl wireless modem and off of that a Netgear Wireless FM114 printer router (needed for old style printer interface).
I noticed that when I check wireless settings there are two networks "Auto2wire734" (secured) and "AutoWireless" (unsecured). Both have the same MAC address and same appendage (wlan0). Also same IP address, same Default Rte and DNS. Sometimes one has higher percentage signal than the other, then at other times the numbers are reversed.
I am VERY new to Linux and have relied previously on hand holding from MS so the terminology is new and the chores equally new.
Can I simply select "Forget Network" On the settings page for the "AutoWireless" network?
It seems odd to have 2 networks with the same id??
Present problem is that on more than one occassion, I am unable to connect to Auto2Wire734 but able to connect to AutoWireless. Being unsecured, that is not a preferable choice.
If I reboot the 2Wire modem, I am again able to connect to both of the above named networks.
Update: Now that I have unchecked to auto connect to AutoWireless, I have to go into settings to reconnect Auto2Wire734 after suspend.
Ultimately, this will be a wired desktop computer but I am trying to learn as I go.
Thanks for any suggestions or direction to tutorials.
Water invented man as a means of transportation.

clay7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 2 wireless networks same mac address wlan0

Post by clay7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:51 am

Do you have another computer or device that is able to connect to your wireless network, such as a Windows laptop, smartphone...anything that will show you the wireless networks in your area? If so, do those devices also show the duplicate addresses?

If your other computer/device also shows duplicate addresses, then this is not a Mint issue since the other devices show the same results. Just trying to help you troubleshoot the issue.

juicer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juicer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:30 am

clay7 wrote:Do you have another computer or device that is able to connect to your wireless network, such as a Windows laptop, smartphone...anything that will show you the wireless networks in your area? If so, do those devices also show the duplicate addresses?

If your other computer/device also shows duplicate addresses, then this is not a Mint issue since the other devices show the same results. Just trying to help you troubleshoot the issue.
Thanks for the direction.
Yes, my other PC laptop shows both the 2Wire734 network and the Netgear ("Wireless") network. For the time being, I have disabled the wireless component of the 2wire modem and that has stopped the apparent conflict between networks on the Linux machine that resulted in the disconnects. The rep from ATT suggested physically separating the wireless modem and router in the room by some distance. I will experiment with that and report back as time allows.
Odd that I don't remember this type of problem on the PC.
Water invented man as a means of transportation.

argon99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argon99 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:10 am

I would just change the mac address on oe of the nic cards. Do a google search on changing MAC addresses and you wil be all set.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 am

You can just let the computer forget the unsecured network by removing it in Network Settings.

That they have the same MAC, means that the same router offers two networks. A secured network for normal use, and an unsecured guest network. You only need to use one of them, the secured one is of course preferred.

And, wlan0 is your computer's wireless card. Your computer likely has only one such card so every wireless network uses wlan0.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Wireless”