Wifi works 2m far from router-deconnected at 5 m (resolved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cvca95

Wifi works 2m far from router-deconnected at 5 m (resolved)

Post by cvca95 »

Hi,
I've installed Mint on a HP Pavillion E001SF (touchscreen PC) equiped with a "RALINK Corp RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIE". It works fine except a problem on the quality of the Wifi given the fact that this device was previously provided with Windows 8 and worked fine with the Wifi event at 15m, on an other floor in the house.
Now, when I'm 2m far from router, only 73% quality / 6 mb-s; at 5m far it's 50% / 1 mb-s and it cuts the connection at 7m approximately. Generally, when I come back at 2m, it refuses to recognize again the ESSID. I've checked all this metrics with iwconfig. I've tried to restart the network interfaces, "service networking restart" but it has stopped all network interfaces ! When I reboot the PC, it works again but, of course, under the same conditions ...
What can I do to improve the sensitivity ? Could it be a driver issue ?
Many thanks !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wifi 73% quality 2m far from router - deconnected at 5 m

Post by Pierre »

the big issue with the World of Windows,
is that the hardware & more often the software,
has been customised to work in a non-standard manner.

when switching to a Linux O/S, - it will generally use generic hardware methods,
which may not get the same results that were available under that customised windows environment. ..

sometimes, that can be fixed with a kernel update/upgrade.
& other times, i needs a different hardware type / manufacturer in order to get things to work.

unfortunately, you will need to play with your WiFi setup,
& may even need to change out the PCIE dongle, maybe to a usb type.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
cvca95

Post by cvca95 »

Seems to have some issues on this chipset in Ubuntu : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1049466
cvca95

Post by cvca95 »

FEDORA seems to have solved this problem. I'll reinstall it ont the computer. Hope it'll work.
cvca95

Post by cvca95 »

I confirm the problem is relative to the ubuntu distribution.On Fedora, for this device, Wifi works normally.
bobafetthotmail

Post by bobafetthotmail »

Did you try the solution posted in the very same bug report you linked? Post number 177 for instruction and post 178 for downloading the patched file.
cvca95

Post by cvca95 »

I'll switch to 14.04 LTS first. If same issue, i'll try it.
cvca95

Post by cvca95 »

issue resolved under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
bobafetthotmail

Re: Wifi works 2m far from router-deconnected at 5 m (resolv

Post by bobafetthotmail »

so it will be solved in Mint 17 as well.

Return to “Networking”