[Partially solved] Netgear WNDA4100 - Working but slow

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
styckx

[Partially solved] Netgear WNDA4100 - Working but slow

Post by styckx »

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:9012 NetGear, Inc. WNDA4100 802.11abgn 3x3:3 [Ralink RT3573]

Working with this device on Mint 17/Cinnamon. Unfortunately I have ZERO options for a wired connection..

It worked out of the box and actually even saw my 5GHz network but the speeds are atrocious. I know this adapter is fairly new(ish) to get functional in Linux but figured I'd ask if something has come along the way to get it performing better?

Mint: 20Mbps down / 10Mbps up

Windows: 110Mbps down / 10Mbps up (the advertised speed I pay for)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Netgear WNDA4100 - Working but slow

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

try this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228317

seems the kernel driver is not very stable and problematic on 5Ghz networks
styckx

Post by styckx »

PatH57 wrote:Hi,

try this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228317

seems the kernel driver is not very stable and problematic on 5Ghz networks
Interesting.. I'm getting an error during the make process
styckx@syndication ~/rt3573sta-master $ sudo make
make -C tools
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/tools'
gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/tools'
/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/tools/bin2h
cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux/Makefile
make -C /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
CC [M] /home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.o
/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c: In function ‘__RtmpOSFSInfoChange’:
/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c:1138:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘int’ from type ‘kuid_t’
pOSFSInfo->fsuid = current_fsuid();
^
/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c:1139:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘int’ from type ‘kgid_t’
pOSFSInfo->fsgid = current_fsgid();
^
make[2]: *** [/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/styckx/rt3573sta-master/os/linux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
make: *** [LINUX] Error 2
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

do you have

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
styckx

Post by styckx »

PatH57 wrote:do you have

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
Indeed.. It's not a complete deal breaker as my Mint install work flow doesn't use anything that I need my full bandwidth.. Just more of my Tech OCD kicking in because I know it's not right. :D

For the record. It's seeing both 2.4 and 5Ghz.. Just the network speed is terrible on both.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

best is to ask the guy who did the patch? post in there.
I know the feeling always trying to get the latest drop out of my gear :lol:
BTW what kernel are you running? a lot of updates have been done since the stock one, that could also fix some problems.
styckx

Post by styckx »

PatH57 wrote:best is to ask the guy who did the patch? post in there.
I know the feeling always trying to get the latest drop out of my gear :lol:
BTW what kernel are you running? a lot of updates have been done since the stock one, that could also fix some problems.
Just the defacto Kernel.. 3.13.0-24.46.. I know my way around Linux semi (I wouldn't call myself a power user) well but I never really got into installing kernels outside of the update manager etc.

Edit: Maybe I'll get brave after a few more beers and throw 3.15.6 on here..
Last edited by styckx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

through the update manager 3.13.0-32 is the latest available.
I run 3.14.12 and fixed a couple of things
styckx

Post by styckx »

HA.. Went up to 3.15.6 and while 2.4Ghz performance managed to actually get worse, 5Ghz improved dramatically. I'actually hitting 110Mbps down now..

Thanks for the suggestion. Never had a reason to upgrade a kernel before but there is a first for everything!
PatH57

Re: [Partially solved] Netgear WNDA4100 - Working but slow

Post by PatH57 »

big step but it would have been better to go for 3.14.12 or 3.14.13 would have been a better choice, they are stable and had a lot of fixes going from 3.14.rc to 3.14.13
3.15 is meant for bleeding age hardware and is still new so even if it works there might be other problems showing over time. Hope it makes sense what I'm trying to say?
styckx

Post by styckx »

Well aware of the risks.. I decided to go big or go home.. Easy enough to revert if it broke something else. Stable as can be though a day later..
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

fingers crossed it's probably the best you will get until the next updated kernel :wink:
styckx

Post by styckx »

Just a quick followup because my Tech OCD got the better of me during some free time I had to ponder about things no regular person would think about. :) I tried 3.13.0-32 to see if this was fixed by then.. Nope.. Still acted the same way.. So somewhere between 3.13.0-32 and 3.15.6 this adapters issues were somewhat addressed. 3.15.6 continues to be a solid performer on Mint 17 though.. No complaints.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

normal don't jump revisions but stay within 3.13.00032 means 32 updates have been done, 3.15.xxx brand new and talks kind of new english your PC doesn't even know what it is,

Return to “Networking”