SOLVED - Broadcom BCM43227 RANDOMLY LOOSE CONNECTIVITY

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acw89

SOLVED - Broadcom BCM43227 RANDOMLY LOOSE CONNECTIVITY

Post by acw89 »

All of a sudden my Wireless Connection no longer works.
(Regular LAN wired connection is fine.)
It will just stop and at first I thought my internet went down.
Rebooting the router does NOT fix it.
Once it happens only rebooting the PC will fix it.

I later discovered these errors (in syslog) which will roll right before the WiFI goes down.

[14204.447790] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14205.448098] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14206.448986] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14207.449872] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14233.400227] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14273.385466] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14323.369467] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)

No commands seem to make any difference and rebooting is the ONLY
way to wake the WiFi again.

Here is my PC info:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACW-OMP4> uname -a
Linux ACW-OMP4 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ACW-OMP4> lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Release: 13
Codename: maya

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4358]
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device [105b:e040]
Kernel driver in use: wl
Kernel modules: wl
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If some other info is needed, please let me know. This has become a real PITA.
I have not loaded new software (other then regular updates to Mint) and have not changed out any hardware.
I am wondering if the card could be just going bad. Please do suggest some steps that might shed more light on this.

Thanks for your help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Broadcom BCM43227 RANDOMLY LOOSE CONNECTIVITY

Post by JeremyB »

acw89 wrote:All of a sudden my Wireless Connection no longer works.
(Regular LAN wired connection is fine.)
It will just stop and at first I thought my internet went down.
Rebooting the router does NOT fix it.
Once it happens only rebooting the PC will fix it.

I later discovered these errors (in syslog) which will roll right before the WiFI goes down.

[14204.447790] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14205.448098] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14206.448986] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14207.449872] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14233.400227] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14273.385466] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)
[14323.369467] ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22)

No commands seem to make any difference and rebooting is the ONLY
way to wake the WiFi again.

Here is my PC info:
ACW-OMP4> uname -a
Linux ACW-OMP4 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ACW-OMP4> lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Release: 13
Codename: maya

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4358]
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device [105b:e040]
Kernel driver in use: wl
Kernel modules: wl

If some other info is needed, please let me know. This has become a real PITA.
I have not loaded new software (other then regular updates to Mint) and have not changed out any hardware.
I am wondering if the card could be just going bad. Please do suggest some steps that might shed more light on this.

Thanks for your help
I see you are still on a very old kernel version. Change preferences in mintupdate to show level 5 updates and install a newer kernel version, I think 3.2.0-65 is the latest
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi;

didn't you already start a post on this?

Upgrading the kernel seems to have fixed it for someone else

PatH57 wrote:Hi,

segmentation fault usually comes from the kernel or the build in drivers(in your case the broadcom driver)

3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

You should try a kernel update either through the update manager or use the latest for 3.13
http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/04/ins ... linux.html

Entire day without a wifi crash, thanks again :)
acw89

Post by acw89 »

@PatH57 ... I really thought that answer was for the other fellow's problem and that I should hae started a thread of my own.

Regarding newer kernals. Would that cause the WiFi to just suddenly start to do this? I am on Mint13 .. can I update the kernal alone.

I have never had to do that before so that is why I am asking. I usually go to the next LTS issue of Mint and did not know one could just update
the kernal. I am still learning about Linux so sorry if I sound like a Newbie...

Thanks
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

no worries.

well kernels bring a lot of fixes over time and in linux a lot of the drivers are included in the kernel.
I've often seen strange hardware behavior being fixed by a kernel upgrade (and it did the trick for the other person)
acw89

Post by acw89 »

For the clarity of my own undertanding...
The Kernal level is NOT tied to the OS level. That is Mint 13 can have newer Kernels loaded in it.

I had no idea. I am always dilligent with updates and did not realize I had to keep up with kernels as well.

So I should set my Synaptic Manager to a higher level so that I can see these kernel updates?

and thanks for your time to help aother Linux users.

>^..^<
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

The Kernal level is NOT tied to the OS level. That is Mint 13 can have newer Kernels loaded in it. Correct

I had no idea. I am always dilligent with updates and did not realize I had to keep up with kernels as well. Usually you don't have to as they are only meant to fix broken things so if your PC runs fine no need if it is showing problems you come here and get advise from more experienced users and over time you will understand how linux works. :wink:

So I should set my Synaptic Manager to a higher level so that I can see these kernel updates? correct but you will only see the ones that have been tested by the people who maintain Mint (there are too many updates to test). if this does not fix the problem we can guide you through installing even newr releases and corrections. The magic with linux is you can always boot back to the older version, no harm done.
I'm running version 3.13.11 on my older laptop with Mint13 and it did fix a few issues I had with graphic card and broadcom modem.
mint 13 xfce 32 bit update manager.png
acw89

Re:Broadcom BCM43227 RANDOMLY LOOSE CONNECTIVITY

Post by acw89 »

Thank you VERY much for your clear explanation. :D Back when I used Ubuntu (before they forced that ugly Unity on users)
I do remember getting those Kernel updates with their update system and seeing on the grub boot page the older kernels showing up afterwards.

I feel with Linux, I am always learning. It reminds me of back in the days I was playing with the Unix system as
I working on communications landline switches (5E) that had Unix as its OS. There were always people who knew
more than you, but part of the Unix culture back then was to help others. Now the Labs sent us updates for the switches
which I used to load, called Generics, that had included the newer version of the Unix Kernel. Not ever having to do them separately has made me lose track of the fact they have to be done.

I will change my Synaptic Mgr and see if that improves things. Seeing the word "Dangerous" (which might be over-kill)
steered me away from using that setting :D

Again thank you for your time -- I really love the Linux community and the help you can get from folks.
I hope to see the day when I can help others as well.

>^..^<
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Well I have updated the kernel from 3.2.0-23-generic to 3.2.0-67-generic.
Using the Update manager after changing the settings to see the updates.

I will see if the random trouble with the WiFi goes away.

Now that I am on 3.2.0-67, should I not see the next update due in the update manager?
Since folks have mentioned levels as high as 3.3.11, how do I get to those levels?
Are they not available thru the Update Manager and need to be done manually with a wget command.

Just wondering as I do want to get to the highest level I can for Mint 13.

thanks

(if loading a new generic (kernel) solves this issue I will mark solved and close)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

the next update will be shown when it is available (if one is done)
Else you can do a manual update using the official kernels, stay within the 3.2.xxx revision.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Thanks again Pat.

One thing I noticed is that my Grub screen does NOT show the old Kernel. Why would that happen?
Is there some setting I may have changed way back when that would accuont for that? If I do an update-grub
I DO see it go by in the list ... but does not show on the page. Perhaps I have some limit set in the config file?
I seem to remember some setting that lets you limit what is shown on the grub boot screen.

Now that I know about Kernels, I certainly want to keep up on them. I do not think that I am adventurous enough to go out past what
Mint Update will let me do and install kernals manually UNLESS the problem is not fixed. I will know in a few days if that BCM43227 bug is gone.

If the Mint distro is not related to the Kernal, may I ask why you suggested to stay within the 3.2 versions of the Kernel.

Again .. thank you for helping me. Is there a good web site the discusses Kernals and the whole-nine-yards about updating and such.

(Sorry if these questions are basic, but I have found this site very good and people are willing to help people learn - this IS the best site for Linux Help)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The initial grub boot screen won't show all kernels but if you scroll to previous Linux Mint versions and press enter it should show all installed kernels
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Well DARN.... :cry:
I lost wireless connectivity again today .. had to reboot to get it back.

Do you all suggest I go to the next newer Kernel? Mint Update will not show me any new ones past the current one. 3.2.0-67-generic

Perhaps I could get a less problemic wireless card? A brand other than Broadcomm. I have an Laptop - ACER ASPIRE 5750Z-4835 I bought in 2012.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

>^..^<
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

a kernel will probabaly fix it but initialy it is a power management issue (and no even if you send the right command to the card, it may not know it...)
So yes you won't break anything and you can boot back to the old kernel, if really you want to check what it is be patient and determine after how long being hidle the problem comes up.... then again I might be totally wrong
acw89

Post by acw89 »

I will check for further symptoms. That idle time is not something I thought about. I also may just look for a "less troublesome" wifi card. Any suggestions?
I will experiment with idle times in the meantime.

I have all my power setting on the laptop to never power down unless the battery is very low and I use the laptop while it's plugged in most of the time.

Thanks again.

>^..^<

BTW - I am fine on the new Kernel and will stay on it :D
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

take a look at kali (OS) it's a security testing OS and my guess is that if the wifi card works in there it will work for you (these guys have tested the hell out of the cards, that said the cards they recommend are not always the cheapest :? )
http://www.kali.org/
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Before I close this thread. Could anyone tell me what the highest kernel version is that I could go to with Linux Mint 13?

I would like to try to go to the next highest one, even though Mint Update shows no more updates for the one I am on currently.

(3.2.0-67-generic #101-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 17:46:11 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

I know if I break anything that I can always reboot back into an older kernel so it would seem ok to try.

Again .. thanks for your help.

>^..^<
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

3.2.61 is the latest within the 3.2 version and will be maintained for a while.
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Ok ..

Given that I am on "3.2.0-67-generic" -- how far off is 3.2.61?

I am a bit confused as the 3rd number in my generic is '0-67' and the target Kernel has '61' as the 3rd number.

How is the kernel numbering laid out?

Thanks
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

an easy way to remember:

major number + minor number + Revision Number/Micro number (+ Patch level)
3.2.0-67 would be:
Major -> 3
Minor -> 2
Micro -> 0
Patch level -> 67

The last 2 (micro + patch) is sometimes revered to as Revision (->0.-67)

Return to “Networking”