Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Wifi not working.

Post by bubba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:58 am

I just bought this laptop, and can't get the wifi to work.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Jet-B ... e/46784949

It has a Broadcom BCM 43142 wifi adapter, and Mint won't use it on boot. I have to go to the control center and tell it to, then it will work for about a minute and stop. I'm using Mint 17.3 Mate with the 3.19.o-32 generic kernal.

I have a wifi dongle that works fine, but i would prefer not to have something sticking out the side of my laptop.

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Wifi not working.

Post by kc1di » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:16 am

with the dongle working go to driver manager found it control pannel and install recommended driver .
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am

Sorry, I did do that, and It works for a couple of minutes then stops and refuses to work after that. Tried to do the other 2 options and they didn't work either.
Firmware B-43, and firmware B-43 legacy, neither one worked. But maybe I just don't know how to set those up. Yet. I think I need the driver from windows, but I don't know where to find it. windows 10 works, but says that it was assigned an invalid IP and refuses to get online. It did actually get online once for about 2 minutes then stopped and refused to do it again.

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Well, I just discovered that my wifi adapter is not supported by Firmware-B43-installer. That sucks. They should have to tell you which wifi adapter it has in the info. At least you can do a little research to find out if it will fork for you.

http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/D ... ed_devices

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:27 pm

This was interesting until I found out that the package you need to get was removed for ToS/AUP violation.

https://thedubiousdisc.wordpress.com/20 ... on-debian/

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Ok then the wl driver should work.
go to driver manager again it should offer you

Code: Select all

bcmwl-kernel-source

That driver should work with your card.

if it does not offer that driver
go to a terminal and istall it like this

sudo apt-get purge b43
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
reboot - see if that works, if not let me know you may have to blacklist b43.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:09 pm

That worked long enough to start Firefox and load the forum index. Then it disconnected. I guess I got screwed on this one. Should have bought a Dell I guess.
Thanks for your help y'all, but I think this piece of crap needs to be returned.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:48 pm

bubba wrote:That worked long enough to start Firefox and load the forum index. Then it disconnected. I guess I got screwed on this one. Should have bought a Dell I guess.
Thanks for your help y'all, but I think this piece of crap needs to be returned.
In my experience, Broadcom WiFi chips are unstable under ANY OS. IF they work, they have very limited range. It's not a function of the antenna (which I once suspected), but the sensitivity of the chip's receiver. I've had half a dozen Broadcom chips over the past few years, all with the same range/reliability problems. Right now, I only have one - in a MacBook Pro. My router is only 20 ft away, with a single wall between me and it. The Qualcomm Atheros chip in this laptop shows 89% signal. The MacBook Pro, sitting right next to it, shows 13% (and occasionally 0%). And it disconnects/reconnects every hour or so.

I'm sure others will say they have no problems with Broadcom, but my experience shows they are unreliable at best. Unless you sit right next to your router.

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:59 pm

I have an ancient wifi dongle with the atheros chip, and it shows 50% in the same place. The internal gets 49% sometimes jumping to 69%. It just won't stay connected. Windows 10 will stay connected, but it can't connect to the internet. It says limited. I used the app that solves problems, and it said that it was assign an invalid IP address. That was seriously screwed up, because linux will go regardless. Microsoft says that I have to talk to the techs here about getting a "real" IP. This is a nursing home. I'm the only one here that knows anything about computers, and I'm a resident here. They won't let me play with it. I don't know that much anyway. I just found out that the sound isn't right either. The right side is very week. I plugged my ear buds in to watch a movie, and all the sound was coming from the left. I checked the sound settings to confirm. Wish I had a credit card, I would have ordered from Newegg.

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:11 am

Well, I installed Mint to a stick yesterday to try to get the wifi working, and failed to do so. I was going to send this thing back, but I decided to try one more time today. I started the computer and remembered that when you install to a stick, grub needs to be written to the hard drive. :oops: I booted windows and it was still stupid, so I rebooted into mint and tried one more time to get the wifi to work. Imagine my surprise when it did. I've been on for a few minutes now, and it hasn't disconnected once. I'm almost happy. Now about the crappy speakers and the sound balance. That's for another day. I'm just going to play today. Thanks for all your help.

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:29 pm

I just found this on Thinkpenquin. It seems to me they are purposely putting anti linux hardware in their computers. Wish I had known this BEFORE I bought a toshiba.
Notice: Many Apple, HP, Lenovo, IBM, Dell, and Toshiba branded products are defective by design. They use digital restrictions management technology and proprietary connectors to limit what hardware may be installed. This is usually a digital restriction in the BIOS that prevents the otherwise standards compliant half height Mini PCIe slot from accepting anything but wifi cards sold by the PC manufacturer.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:38 pm

bubba wrote:I just found this on Thinkpenquin. It seems to me they are purposely putting anti linux hardware in their computers. Wish I had known this BEFORE I bought a toshiba.
Notice: Many Apple, HP, Lenovo, IBM, Dell, and Toshiba branded products are defective by design. They use digital restrictions management technology and proprietary connectors to limit what hardware may be installed. This is usually a digital restriction in the BIOS that prevents the otherwise standards compliant half height Mini PCIe slot from accepting anything but wifi cards sold by the PC manufacturer.
That is something totally different, it is known as BIOS whitelisting and only wifi cards with certain hardware ID's will work. It isn't anything anti Linux as most cards do work in Linux. I have a Lenovo and a couple Toshibas and a Dell and they work well in Linux. I don't have anything with a broadcom chip, just Intel and Atheros wireless cards

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:24 pm

I was trying to find a non-broadcom WiFi adapter for this laptop when
I found that. Would I be able to replace the adapter with an athros or Intel card? I really hate using dongles on a laptop.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:34 am

You may have to do some searching on your model number to see if it has a BIOS whitelist or a proprietary wifi connector.

A couple things that cause wifi issues in Linux are

Power management enabled for wifi- use iwconfig command to see
WEP or TKIP enabled on the wireless router
Wireless router on a crowded channel

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 am

I am on a managed system, and power management is on. I'm on wlan0. Sucks to be me I guess. I can't change any of it.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"Legend guest_EXT"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 0A:A1:51:B3:E1:DA   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=34/70  Signal level=-76 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:60  Invalid misc:502   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan1     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:09 pm

So

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
won't work?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:16 am

bubba wrote: I booted windows and it was still stupid, so I rebooted into mint
Bubba, can I quote you on that, please?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubba » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:30 am

Taking something out of context is not quoting, It seems more like derision.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:39 am

Certainly, derision of that operating system should be kept to a minimum, no matter how well deserved.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Wireless”