Automatic WiFi authentication

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tricka90

Automatic WiFi authentication

Post by Tricka90 »

I have a router wich suffers from malfunctions every 20 to 30 minutes.
I've already got in touch with my provider and they're going to solve the problem soon. Until then I would like to try some trick to solve it myself provisionally, this would be also a good occasion to learn how Linux Mint OS works.

Every time my router has a malfunction the following screen is presented.
Untitled.png
I have to click the "Connetti" button, which in english means "Connect" in order for the software to try and reconnect. The screen reappears two or three time and I have to keep clicking the button until the connection is reestablished. Is it possible to hack the Linux Mint WiFi manager to "click the Connect button automatically" when the screen appears? This would be great also because I currently must stay near the PC while I'm downloading any file, because if I went away I would came back to find the connection not working with the screen waiting for me to click Connect button and the files not downloaded completely.
On my Android smartphone as well as Windows 7 the connection is reestablished automatically without me having to click Connect again and again.
Can you help me to make this possible also in Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Automatic WiFi autentication

Post by Laurent85 »

See Network Connections > select connection to Edit... > General tab > tick Automatically connect to this network whe it is available
Tricka90

Re: Automatic WiFi authentication

Post by Tricka90 »

The option is already set, in fact the connection is established automatically at startup. But when the network has a little malfunction it doesn't try to reconnect automatically. It just keep waiting me for click the Connect button, even if the network is working again. Is there any way to make this automatic?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I'm wondering if you have other devices that connect to the network and if they suffer from the same problem?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Tricka90

Post by Tricka90 »

I have an Andriod smartphone which doesn't have the same problem, it just reconnect automatically after some seconds. I also have Windows 7 (on the same PC I have Linux Mint) and it also reconnect automatically. I have the problem only when using Linux Mint.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Tricka90 wrote:I have an Andriod smartphone which doesn't have the same problem, it just reconnect automatically after some seconds. I also have Windows 7 (on the same PC I have Linux Mint) and it also reconnect automatically. I have the problem only when using Linux Mint.
But they do need to reconnect because the connection drops? right
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Tricka90

Post by Tricka90 »

Yes, that's right.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Honestly, I don't know
But if you create a new user account and login. Do you experience the same behaviour?

Really it sounds to me like you should be looking in to replacing that turdy router.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Networking”