No Network Connection Before Login

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Newbie_from_NJ

No Network Connection Before Login

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

Hello everyone,

Just did a fresh/clean install of Mint 18 x64. Wifi and Ethernet are working fine.

The only thing I noticed is that I do not have a network connection prior to login in. This is the case for both wifi and ethernet. Connection is not established unless I log in. Can I change this so that it auto connects on its own prior to logging in?

This becomes an issue when remote connecting from my work computer, as I know I cannot perform any reboots from there. If so, I will not be able to reconnect remotely.

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by Newbie_from_NJ on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie_from_NJ

Re: No Network Connection Before Login

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

Can't help to wonder if I have a network issue or a TeamViewer issue?

TeamViewer is the program I use to remote connect. It shows that my computer is Offline prior to being logged in. The computer then shows online immediately after logging in.

I checked TeamViewer's settings and I do see that "Start TeamViewer with System" is clicked-on. This option states that "TeamViewer will be registered as a system service and therefore automatically started with your system. You will be able to establish a remote connection session before logging into an account."

I also added TeamViewer to the Startup Applications list. But computer still shows as offline unless I log into system first.

At this point, I don't know who the culprit is. Anyone???
Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

I installed bum (boot-up manager) and noticed that network-manager was not active. I activated this service and rebooted. Same thing - cannot connect unless I log in first.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I don't know if this is a reasonable solution in your environment but, for your consideration >>> You could set your home computer to log you in automatically. You might use this method until you can figure out if you can and/or how to do what you are asking...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
D Krieger

Post by D Krieger »

The problem is you need to set this connection as automatic, so it starts up while you are logged in. You can log in automatically by setting up logon environment ("do not require password"), but then your wi-fi would activate after you provide a password to keyring. Some people suggest you could disable it and thus having this wifi connection started, but your system would be compromised in terms of security.

So far I did not find neat and workable solution and would be happy to hear sth reasonable on this issue. Perhaps a script? With wi-fi password included as open text?
Simpler

Post by Simpler »

This is an old post, but just in case anyone wanders here looking for a solution, the solution can be found here:

https://askubuntu.com/a/16378/284043

Basically...
- Network Connections
- <select the wifi connection you want to connect to>
- Edit the selected connection
- General (tab)
- toggle on "All users may connect to this network"
- Save

Return to “Networking”