Using VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Using VPN

Post by newyorkpaulie »

I just tried putting VPN into the search box for this section of the forum and was surprised there was Nothing listed.
Isn't wireless networking the correct forum to be asking about this topic?

Well if it is I would like to see if anyone using hardware and software like me is able to connect to the net once a VPN has been configured. I do not have any trouble with this part and have "tried out" several.
I use a Lenovo ThinkPad T-61, Running: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana), File Manager: Caja 1.12.7

Just to add, when using Windows, whether on its own via dualboot or run via VirtualBox I do Not have any problem connecting to the net. If it matters I am using Time Warner Cable in Manhattan (midtown-east).

I spend about half my time in PA (using Verizon DSL) and there I do not get this difficulty so it would seem that the NYC internet provider is the culprit. Yes I have spent hours looking into this on forums and contacting the provider directly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Using VPN

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please look at these links Hope they help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VPNClient

Please post output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newyorkpaulie »

I thought I was onto something - 3 out of the six "requirements" from your first link were missing, but apt installing them did not do it.
Here's the screenshot you asked for, and Thank You BTW for helping!
MY-inxi-Fxz.doc

paulie@paulie-ThinkPad-T61 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: paulie-ThinkPad-T61 Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6463W34 v: ThinkPad T61
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 6463W34 Bios: LENOVO v: 7LETC9WW (2.29 ) date: 03/18/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T7300 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7979
           clock speeds: max: 2001 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: 1840 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth3 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection
           driver: iwl4965 v: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan3 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 664.2GB (81.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSA2M160 size: 160.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 4.0GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: 00BPVT size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 70G used: 47G (70%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: 39.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3023
Info:      Processes: 180 Uptime: 21 min Memory: 983.0/7911.3MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 
paulie@paulie-ThinkPad-T61 ~ $ 
Last edited by Moem on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is how you post terminal output on the forum.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

THis is for Cisco VPN. In your case there may be separate instructions by the vendor.
http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~jstern/uci_vpn_ubuntu/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3734 ... -16-04-lts
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
laurenaria10

Post by laurenaria10 »

Good to know thanks for sharing.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "newyorkpaulie",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

FYI: You can post (copy & paste) the results of console terminal commands directly into the forum without having to attach a file.

When searching this forum, it will ignore words or phrases that are too common. Perhaps using "VPN" was just too common. There are numerous posts on setting up and using a VPN provider in this forum.

With Google, you could try:
How to use search like a pro: 10 tips and tricks for Google and beyond - See #5
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... and-beyond

9 tips for searching Google like a pro, see #3
http://www.ricksdailytips.com/google-search-tips/

How to Search Google Like A Pro, see "To search something within a particular website"
https://www.promptcloud.com/blog/how-to ... e-like-pro

site:forums.linuxmint.com vpn 
or

site:forums.linuxmint.com vpn 2017
or

vpn setup linux mint 17.3 site:forums.linuxmint.com

It would help to be much more specific. What VPN provider are you using, or trying to use, and what protocols? How did you setup your VPN server(s)?

I use VPN's all the time, and they usually work well. Some VPN providers like the excellent "Private Internet Access (PIA)" have their own installation programs, although you can use the Linux Mint Network Manager to easily setup (create or import vpn) individual VPN server connections for any VPN provider.

FYI-2: All Linux Mint editions already come pre-installed with the ability to easily setup (import) and use VPN connections using the secure "openVPN" protocols using the Network Manager icon in your system tray panel, recommend using "Import VPN".

How to Establish An OpenVPN Connection in Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.x)
(Note: in Linux Mint 18.x there is no need to create (extract) the certificate and key files any more, it is done automatically when importing an openvpn configuration file like "somewhere.ovpn")
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... untu-1404/

For Linux Mint 17.x or earlier (not needed in Linux Mint 18.x or newer)
Here is a simple bash script file to extract the required certificate and key files from an openVPN configuration file, if you put one openVPN configuration file (something.ovpn) into its own folder, you can run (double-click) this script program to create the required files:

I called this script file "ovpn-convert.sh", but you can call it anything you like. Just copy the code below into a new empty text file and save it as "something.sh" and copy or save it into the same folder as the openVPN configuration file, "something.ovpn" file. Remember to give yourself permission to run the ".sh" script file, right click the file from your file manager, select "Properties"-> "Permissions" tab->check the allow to "execute" box, apply or ok.

#!/bin/bash
cp *.ovpn vpnserver.ovpn
sed '1,/<ca>/d;/<\/ca>/,$d' vpnserver.ovpn > vpnserver-ca.crt
sed '1,/<cert>/d;/<\/cert>/,$d' vpnserver.ovpn > vpnserver-crt.crt
sed '1,/<key>/d;/<\/key>/,$d' vpnserver.ovpn > vpnserver-key.key

OpenVPN does not work on Mint 18 Sarah (VPN's work well in Linux Mint 18 or 17.x)
viewtopic.php?t=224689&start=20

Recent post on 2 alternative methods to setup and use free VPN servers from "vpngate"
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=238946

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Faust

Post by Faust »

I use various VPN services in Mint 17.3

Fruho gives me a nice easy-to-use GUI to connect to any of them with a couple of clicks , and no fuss .

https://fruho.com/

It uses OpenVPN and is well worth a look IMO
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Faust",

Thank you for telling us about this VPN helper application. It looks really interesting.

I just downloaded, installed it, and tried running it, but it would not work in my Linux Mint KDE 18.1 system?

2017-02-12 11:41:35 ERROR: extract-cn-from csr: /home/user69/.fruho/profile/fruho/ovpnconf/default/client.csr does not exist

From the log file message, it looks like it needs a file "client.csr" which it cannot find?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Johnsmith001

Post by Johnsmith001 »

I don't know what kinda error you are getting right now, but i been in that type of situation once, i have posted my question related and find out these two powerful resources: Also look over here to check how VPN works: https://www.beencrypted.com/ultimate-encryption-guide/

Regards,

Return to “Networking”