Authentication None

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Babyhuehnchen

Authentication None

Post by Babyhuehnchen »

So, on my schools campus-air wifi, i need to set the inner authentication in PEAP to none in order to connect, which Linux mint doesnt have. Can i do anything about this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Authentication None

Post by Fred Barclay »

Are you asking how to set a blank password?

If so, I think this might work. (I have a similar network at my workplace, but I'm on break and won't be back till next week so I can't test it.)

Open a terminal and run ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/. You'll see a bunch of files (probably); each one holds the connection info for a router that you've connected to. Look for the network you want to connect to - for example, if your school's network name is "bestschoolever" then look for that in the output.

Now let's edit the correct file. If you're on Mint 18 Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce, then

Code: Select all

gksudo xed /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/bestschoolever
If Mint 18, 17.x, or 13 KDE then

kdesudo kate /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/bestschoolever
If Mint 17.x or 13 Cinnamon

gksudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/bestschoolever
If Mint 17.x or 13 MATE, then

gksudo pluma /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/bestschoolever
If Mint 17.x or 13 Xfce, then

gksudo mousepad /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/bestschoolever

You should see a line that looks like this:

password=<some password HERE>
Try deleting everything after password=, save the file, and see if that works.
If not, then try setting it to password="" (two double-quotes with nothing between them). Don't forget to save the file before you try to connect.
If that doesn't work, try deleting the entire password line and (you guessed it) saving the file and then trying to connect.
If that doesn't work then I'm fresh out of ideas, but I would like to know if this helped or not.

Cheers! And sorry I couldn't be more specific.
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Babyhuehnchen

Post by Babyhuehnchen »

Sorry maybe i didnt define my question correctly: When setting uo the connection, i have to select an inner authentication type in the dropdown menu: MSCHAPv2, MD5, GTC. The Problem, our school needs "none" here. This works out on both my android 7.1.1 and 6.0 cyanogenmod version, but not on my laptop since it doesnt have none in the dropdown. already tried changing it to none via Terminal, didnt work.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

When you say you tried changing it to none via terminal, what do you mean exactly? :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Babyhuehnchen

Post by Babyhuehnchen »

Like it was suggested somewhere else, is set the network up with MD5 as the inner authentication and then editet the configuration File in the terminal replacing MD5 with none. this seemed to work for a handfull of people but not for me
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I see, so you changed the line

phase2-autheap=<METHOD>
to equal none.

Well, if that didn't work, try using my steps above, but with phase2-autheap= instead of password=:

Try deleting everything after phase2-autheap=, save the file, and see if that works.
If not, then try setting it to phase2-autheap=""(two double-quotes with nothing between them). Don't forget to save the file before you try to connect.
If that doesn't work, try deleting the entire phase2-autheap=<METHOD> line,save the file, and try to connect.
- Albert Einstein
Babyhuehnchen

Post by Babyhuehnchen »

The error was a total different one that i thought, our network received and update whith which my android devices auto updated their settings and i didnt realize it. Also, my firmware for my wifi card was outdated and following this tutorial the network techician sent me, i was able to fix it now. http://askubuntu.com/questions/726292/c ... book-ux305

THIS CAN BE CLOSED

Return to “Networking”