Wireless router recommendation

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Wireless router recommendation

Post by chiefjim »

Looking to replace an 11 year old Linksys WRT-54GL. Using Newegg as my guide I see many where the system requirements don't mention Linux. However past experience has been setup is via a URL so really it shouldn't matter.

That said might someone here recommend a decent gigabyte wireless router for $100 or under? Google Fiber is coming our way so strong LAN and wireless speeds would be appreciated. And not to be left out something reliable. My WRT-54GL has set a very nice precedence.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wireless router recommendation

Post by chiefjim »

Not a single recommendation?
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Well I'm sure you'll get a bunch of recomendations - I've been using netgear routers for quite some time and they have always worked well for me.
currently using an n900 model. you'll have to shop around for best prices though.
here's their web page:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... ar_organic
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Garabet

Post by Garabet »

I have Xiaomi Router 3 AC1200 and i really recommend it. You can buy from Gearbest or Aliexpress for ~30$.

It has 887mbit 5ghz wifi speed and many more features but the only drawback is it`s 100mbit LAN port. If you gonna get more than 100mbit internet speed, then you should buy a router with gigabit LAN port. For gigabit LAN port feature, I can suggest Asus routers with AC1750 capability but these devices are much more expensive than the Xiaomi one
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

It is rather difficult to make a recommendation since not all routers may be available in all countries and Newegg does not exist here in Australia.

I have 3 routers, 2 Billion routers and the current favourite, a FRITZ!Box which runs Wi-Fi, Ethernet and DECT Telephones as well as Internet Telephony.

Compatibility with Linux operating systems is not an issue.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
yaye

Post by yaye »

Hello,

I've used a Linksys WRT-54GL in the past also (it still works). I used an ASUS RT N-16 running Tomato RAF after that. Our cable modem and the WAN port of the N-16 were fried by lightning earlier this year, so we're currently using an ASUS RT-AC68U . We haven't had any problems with it so far. New regulations here in the US require manufacturers to limit the output of the wireless radios, so newer versions of the router are limited in the firmware that can be installed on them. Updating the ASUS firmware of our version of the router can also limit the output of the radio.
Last edited by yaye on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Wireless router is 3 in one. Router, switch and access point. I use a low power FreeBSD box as router, Netgear 16-port managed switch as switch and Ubiquiti as access point. This is not exactly SOHO setup, but it works great. Spend a little money on it, you won't regret.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
waynea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by waynea »

I totally recommend the Linksys WRT1900AC. It is well supported by the open-source Open WRT firmware...The only drawback is that this requires you to buy a separate hardware modem too, but I don't actually regard that as a bad thing. I got a cheap Draytek from eBay

Return to “Networking”