Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
royg
Level 1
Level 1

Intel Wireless AC-3165 Does Not Connect AC

Post by royg » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:24 pm

I have recently installed Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon (64 Bit) on an Intel NUC (NUC5PPYH). The Wireless chipset in the NUC is the Intel AC-3165. The WIFI was configured during install of Mint, and the WIFI works. BUT, the AC-3165 only connects at 802.11N speeds. So far I have been unable to get this WIFI chipset configured under Mint so that it will connect at 802.11AC speeds. The NUC originally had Win10 installed on it, and under Windows the WIFI chipset configured and connected at 802.11AC speeds.

I assume that I need to manually install a driver to enable connection at AC speeds. So, can anyone advise me regarding how I can get this Intel AC-3165 chipset to connect at 802.11AC speeds under Linux Mint ?

Thanks,

RoyG

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Intel Wireless AC-3165 Does Not Connect AC

Post by killer de bug » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:29 pm

If you go in the driver manager (you can find it in the menu), does it offer to install a proprietary version of the wifi driver?

Otherwise I would look for a package probably named firmware-iwlwifi and I would install it.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

royg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by royg » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:31 pm

killer de bug wrote:If you go in the driver manager (you can find it in the menu), does it offer to install a proprietary version of the wifi driver?
No, I tried that yesterday. It provided microcode for the CPU, but no additional drivers for the WIFI.

I also tried loading the Intel Firmware Blob from this Intel web site; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05511.html - but that did not work.

RoyG

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:36 pm

I may say something wrong, but this CPU has also the wifi chip right? So installing the microcode can help.
In any case, please search for a package iwlwifi
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:44 pm

I would try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware
This might provide a better firmware version for your device
The Intel card might benefit from a module parameter change

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwl-opt.conf
This option enables agressive tx and usually boosts wifi speed
Intel cards may suffer from wifi power management being enabled and a recent change in the Ubuntu network-manager package that enables power management by default, we can change that with

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
Reboot

Return to “Wireless”