Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ATHEROS WIRELESS DOSENT WORK!!

Post by shane »

Quoted from the Intrepid release notes: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/release ... %20default
Atheros ath5k wireless driver not enabled by default

The version of the ath5k driver for Atheros wireless devices included in Linux 2.6.27 interferes with the use of the madwifi driver for some wireless devices and as a result has been disabled by default. Many Atheros chipsets will work correctly with the madwifi driver, but some newer chipsets may not, and the madwifi driver may not work with WPA authentication. If you have an Atheros device that does not work with madwifi, you will want to install the linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic package, which includes an updated version of the ath5k driver. While not installed by default, this linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic package is included on the Ubuntu 8.10 CD and DVD images for ease of installation.
You will need a working internet connection... since I don't think the package is on the Mint CD.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ATHEROS WIRELESS DOSENT WORK!!

Post by antiquexray »

westly wrote:... My wireless works fine on windows, but when i try to load the driver onto linux it dosen't work. I used the windows wireless program to locate the driver and it said "Hardware present: yes", but still wouldn't work...
Please explain what you'd done to get this point. I had a similar problem, perhaps I can help.

Return to “Wireless”