My wireless is gone and I dont know how to get it back

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gothicsam

My wireless is gone and I dont know how to get it back

Post by gothicsam »

Hi Everyone

I am a newbie to linux, have been running with mint for the past 2 months .. my first time out of the windows environment. I changed my ISP 2 days ago, new router etc ... no problems with the new connection to my notebook as I always have been running wireless. This morning when I went to check the notebook it showed my network was disconnected, no wireless connection and it wouldnt connect. All my other devices on the network have no problem with the wireless connection (ie xbox, wife's notebook running windows etc)

For some reason I cannot locate my router and the wireless connection .. its as if the device has been disabled .. when I connect the notebook with a lan cable there is no problem with a connection .. its just wireless which has disappeared.

How can I fix this please ?

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: gothic-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.2)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC v: 087A110000385B10000620100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 183E v: 56.32
           Bios: Insyde v: F.25 date: 05/29/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3632QM (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 17559
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1359 MHz 2: 1220 MHz 3: 1356 MHz
           4: 1252 MHz 5: 1382 MHz 6: 1281 MHz 7: 1343 MHz 8: 1316 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.07hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-53-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 08:00.0
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (20.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545050A7 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 92G (22%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 64.0C mobo: N/A gpu: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 235 Uptime: 1:18 Memory: 1076.8/3940.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: My wireless is gone and I dont know how to get it back

Post by richyrich »

Well , the network section of that terminal output doesn't even show any wireless hardware ? ? ?

Is it built-in wireless or is it a USB wireless dongle thingy ?
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

If you have a hardware switch, turn your wifi adapter off and on again. See if it sees your base station. If you don't have a hardware switch turn wifi off and on with the network manager (click on the wifi applet).
Many times cycling your wifi off and of will restore connectivity.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
gothicsam

Post by gothicsam »

Wifi is inbuilt .. and I dont think I have a hardware switch.

When you mentioned turn wifi on and off using the network manager .. sorry I am not sure how to do that if the system cant even recognise wifi ... as I mentioned, everything was going ok until yesterday.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Well, since no wireless card shows up in the system output, then it is either not present or disabled. I would count the device as disabled if it were in power save mode. And it may be that. But let's check something first. Run the following command at a terminal:

rfkill list all
Post the output back here between code tags. Your wireless still may not show. I don't know how this would happen in an overnight situation but check your BIOS and see if the wireless is disabled there. (The documentation that came with your notebook should tell you how.) Also, try pressing the F12 button. That is the HP Pavilion wireless adapter toggle -- no, I don't know why. I suspect they got tired of adding an extra button and just setup F12 to do that job.

Let us know.
gothicsam

Post by gothicsam »

Thanks for all the reply's everyone

I have checked the BIOS there is nothing to enable or disable the wireless or any network card. The f12 button is for wireless off/on however pressing this does nothing, the light on the button stays orange

gothic@gothic-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC ~ $ rfkill list all
gothic@gothic-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC ~ $ 
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Is your machine still on warranty ? As now it really sounds like something fried on the wireless card. :(
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

The f12 button is for wireless off/on however pressing this does nothing, the light on the button stays orange
Then something deeper is wrong. That light should not be orange all the time. You might be able to get a new internal wireless to match what you have. And I agree with richyrich. Check the warranty.
gothicsam

Post by gothicsam »

unfortunately not, its about 5 years old now
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Check BIOS to see if wireless is disabled in there, try a reset to defaults. If that doesn't help, you will need to access the wireless card to remove and reinstall it to see if it might be a connection issue with the motherboard. If that doesn't work there is either an issue with the wifi card or the slot on the motherboard
dishdude

Post by dishdude »

I'm running into this problem on two machines, it's like the wireless driver disappears. Running this script fixes it. Of course it is not my machine, so it's a real headache for the user. How can I fix this for good?

sudo rfkill unblock all
for x in `for i in \`lspci -nn | grep 02[80] | awk '{print $1}' | tr ' ' '\n'\`; do lspci -vvvs $i; done | grep "Kernel driver in use:" | awk '{print $NF}'`; do sudo rmmod $x; sudo modprobe $x; done
sudo rfkill unblock all

Return to “Networking”