What can I do with an old router?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DerpySteak

What can I do with an old router?

Post by DerpySteak »

I have an old TP-Link router and I want to do something with it. I use Linux mint 18.1 Cin. My idea is I could use it as some sort of file sharing hotspot, but I dont know a whole lot about networking. I could theoretically make it an access point for my current router, but i dont have a long enough cable for that do be effective. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: What can I do with an old router?

Post by coffee412 »

My idea is I could use it as some sort of file sharing hot spot, but I dont know a whole lot about networking.

Learn Networking.

I could theoretically make it an access point for my current router, but i dont have a long enough cable for that do be effective. Any ideas?

After you learn some networking you will be able to make your own cable.

Once you learn about networking there is no end to what you can accomplish.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

What exactly to you want to accomplish?
Does you new router act as a wireless access point? No need for two on the network is there?
More than one router on a network will only create problems. But, more switches might be a good thing, if the old router can function as a switch only, allowing the new unit to do the routing. That would give you more ports.
But, if most, or all of your devices connect wirelessly, then you only need the one router/access point.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Just take it to a recycling place.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo »

Older routers generally don't have many options available, their firmware is usually bare-boned. Depending on your model you may be able to update the firmware with the open-source DD-WRT which can open up many more options. (See http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Su ... es#TP-Link).

Also have a look at http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Routers for some options (cable or wi-fi connect).

Return to “Networking”